Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

I think the glass tile backsplashes are tired already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Farmhouse sinks are hideous. And it must be a regional thing, I recently moved and have never seen this many houses with stained wood trim instead of white, I think it looks horrible and passed on many houses that had it installed. Midwesterners seem to really be into wood and the whole farmhouse thing with those ugly sinks, interior barn doors and what I would call hillbilly décor.

Last edited by shorman; 05-23-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As I said before the only people who are concerned about things being dated are those who are into trends. This probably extends into fashion, cars, whatever. I just like what I like.
I am updating my kitchen because it is dark, dreary, and screams "80s" and "country" even though it was build in the mid-90s. I am not at all trendy, and I also like what I like. But I don't like a kitchen that was done in such a manner that it does not look clean and classic - I prefer a more timeless look.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1353...-kitchen-style

Old 05-23-2017, 05:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Can the hunter green of the '80s be far behind?
That would be awesome; I still have plenty of it around the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Well, paint-grade cabinets certainly are less expensive than stain-grade cabinets. White appliances, however, still scream Section-8.
No one is interested in your class prejudices.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Hey... Section 8 here is almond appliances with granite counters and stainless sinks.

A 3 bedroom Section single family rents in the range of $2600 to $2900

Old 05-23-2017, 06:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Farmhouse sinks are hideous. And it must be a regional thing, I recently moved and have never seen this many houses with stained wood trim instead of white, I think it looks horrible and passed on many houses that had it installed. Midwesterners seem to really be into wood and the whole farmhouse thing with those ugly sinks, interior barn doors and what I would call hillbilly décor.
Try thinking of it as having options.

True Stain Grade is premium material that can always be painted.

Paint Grade can never approach stain grade and often the materials making up paint grade or low cost or manufactured.

I don't care for the white like a beauty shop or candy store... but it is a personal preference.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:51 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What I see around here is engineered stone countertops (Silestone/Caesarstone etc) in a faux marble pattern.

That seems to be the hot new thing for the most up-to-date houses.

And it will look solidly 2017 in about 3-4 years
I disagree - quartz is coming out in new colors and patterns almost every day. Some of them look exactly like granite, but there seems to be no end to the possible colors. I think quartz is here to stay for a long time, just like granite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Quartz counters seem more durable than granite, and no need to seal.
True. Here is a good comparison between the two. Frankly, both are excellent materials, in my opinion. Quartz vs. Granite: Which One Comes Out on Top? - Tower Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I am obviously behind the times ... what are people doing now instead of granite and stainless ?>
People are still doing lots of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That is true. Also "artificial."
Actually quartz is 93% natural stone. I don't see anything about it that looks "artificial". It's quartz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Its harder than granite and easy on the eyes.
Many people prefer the busy look of granite. It's really personal preference.

Quote:
We're about twenty years into that "brief resurrection" now, and counting.
Agreed. I have always loved subway tile, still do.

Quote:
Quartzite countertops may be harder than some granites but "quartz" countertops which are far more common are manmade materials that, being about 93% stone particles and 7% plastic binders (pigments are also often added), are definitely softer than granite. "Quartz" products are sold under many trade names such as Caesarstone and Silestone.

Easy on the eyes is in the eyes of the beholder.

Quartz countertops (93% quartz and 7% resin) are absolutely harder than granite. See the above article.

Quartzite is a bit tricky. Much of what is sold/labeled in the stoneyards as quartzite, is in fact a dolomite marble, or a calcitic marble, and will etch and stain, unlike either quartz, true quartzite, or granite. I have been to many stoneyards recently, and it is pretty frustrating thinking that you are looking at quartzite, and then finding out that it etches. There are no standards on quartzite, so if you are shopping for it, beware, and do your homework unless you don't mind spending a lot more effort taking care of your countertops. I do think it is a much more beautiful stone, than granite, but I am opting for a sure thing, care-wise, and going with quartz.

Geology in your Kitchen: The Mystery of Super White | Visionlearning Blog

Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Quartz countertops (93% quartz and 7% resin) are absolutely harder than granite. See the above article.
That is just not true. Quartz is indeed harder than granite (it may also be a major component of granite as is feldspar) but "quartz" products as Silestone, Caesarstone, etc. have their hardness compromised when they are crushed and combined with plastics (manmade ingredients) to make those artificial products. And "quartz" is indeed artificial rather than natural as it does not appear in nature just as concrete, though made of natural components is an artificial material.

There is nothing wrong with preferring "quartz" to granite but one should understand the difference

Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It's my understanding that the resin in quartz counter tops can be damaged by heat. So, if you are careful to never set any hot pans on it, you will be OK. If you are careless, it can be damaged.

Personally, I don't like the way it looks until you get to the really high end that looks like granite. At that point, if they look alike, I don't see any advantage to quartz over granite. Granite can be damaged by oil, quartz can be damaged by heat and there is a lot of oil and heat in a kitchen where people actually cook and the kitchen is not just a show piece.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Actually I despise white trim, i think is is horrible. I like the trim the same color as the wall.

but agree, the barn doors are freaking ugly, unless you live in a barn.

and i also think the gray paints like many have stated is getting tired and old already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House