Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,663,604 times

Advertisements

A friend who is an industrial engineer said they install them ground up (upside down) as a safety measure like mentioned above. If something is plugged in and the metal wall plate shakes loose and slips down, it won't short on the plug. This is primarily a concern in an environment with lots of vibration. Also, seems like most wall plates are plastic now but not sure in an industrial setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:57 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
There is no defined "up" when referring to electrical code. There is just a traditional "up" that most people assume means the ground plug is near the bottom. The code allows them to be mounted either direction to accommodate equipment needs, so either is correct.

Really what it comes down to is personal preference, or a request as to how to mount them (ie equipment needs, transformers, etc). I always installed them "up" as did most electrician's I know. I came across a few that would put them ground strap up. The reasons varied. Some would say if the plug was loose and something slid down (tape measure for instance) it would hit the ground plug first. Others would say that since the ground plug was typically longer, it allowed a more secure connection with gravity pulling down on the cord. I'm sure you've seen a situation where a heavy 3-prong plug is pulling down and pulling the top two conductors out a bit exposing them. If you flip it around so the ground plug is on top, it offers a bit more bite and secure connection on this prong. Something to think about if you have kids or a plug that keeps pulling out.

I've heard it justified a million ways, but there is no real up or down direction...just the traditional assumption.

The comment about upside down plugs meaning one was switched (or half-hot) is new to me. It would be helpful, but I don't think it's widespread knowledge . I've never seen a switched plug mounted upside down on it's own. Could be regional practice
This. I was also surprised, but did a little research and found either way is OK.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is not what happened, it didn't go behind the covering. There was an extension cord plugged into the outlet. The tape measure slid between the plug and the outlet, difficult to see but if you look at the tape measure what you'll see is two holes where hit the the two prongs of the extension cord. Had the ground been on top it would of just hit that.

I'm sure something like this doesn't happen often but in workplace environment it's going to be more likely especially if it's machine shop or something like that.

Personally I would not put them upside down because some cords are not designed for it. A/C cords, transformers, etc.
I believe that is what I said. Last paragraph. I am simply skeptical that there is more probability the item will come from the top rather than the bottom. in a high vibration environment there are solution involving twist lock plugs which do away with the problem

Commissioned a new development lab a number of years ago. Took a dead short plug and plugged it in. Breaker held for fifteen seconds. Some idiot had breakered the whole lab with exotic magnet delayed motor start breakers. And it was a lab where all sorts of live development with exposed circuitry went on.

The only use I have seen of the socket reversal was as indication of a wall controlled half hot socket. I have also seen white dots and red dots to indicate the same function.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:15 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Since the wife was ill, this could indeed be the case. It was believed that the outlets this way were safer and they would be turned on via switch which would be easier for someone with hand mobility issues.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I believe that is what I said. Last paragraph. I am simply skeptical that there is more probability the item will come from the top rather than the bottom.
It's also what I said in my original post. It would seem to me that falling objects would be more likely. Someone mentioned the metal plates and I recall hearing that before too. Might have been a relative that works at a P&G plant.

Quote:
The only use I have seen of the socket reversal was as indication of a wall controlled half hot socket. I have also seen white dots and red dots to indicate the same function.
Never heard of this myself, I guess it must be regional thing or I simply never noticed. Makes sense.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Wow, learn something new every day! You guys were right, most seem to be connected to switches that "turn them on". I never knew builders did that. What a smart idea.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:59 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
A couple of houses ago we had a great sunroom.....hmmmm...moment of reflection....loved that sunroom. Okay, that sunroom was a focus for the couple buying the house. The wife planned to spend a lot of time there. You could make a small apartment out of that room. Turns out she had mobility issues and they were talking about the light switch thing.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
The house we are selling was custom built by a builder. All plug outlets are upside down. When we were having a bit of work done, the electrician told us that he sees them done that way sometimes because they are less prone to breaking.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Ground should be at the bottom. Unless it's a horizontal mounted one. Some appliance manufacturers make right angle plugs such as on Window A/C's. Sometimes they are oriented improperly. Sometimes a cord from an A/C simply won't reach unless the receptacle is turned over.

These situations sometimes cause homeowners to turn the receptacles upside down. Doesn't harm anything as long as done properly....just looks dumb. Otherwise it looks like an amateur installation.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Ground should be at the bottom. Unless it's a horizontal mounted one. Some appliance manufacturers make right angle plugs such as on Window A/C's. Sometimes they are oriented improperly. Sometimes a cord from an A/C simply won't reach unless the receptacle is turned over.

These situations sometimes cause homeowners to turn the receptacles upside down. Doesn't harm anything as long as done properly....just looks dumb. Otherwise it looks like an amateur installation.
Right - ground should be on the bottom. A right-angle cord is a reason to NOT put the ground on the top.

A right-angle plug that is oriented upside-down will be much more likely to bend abnormally, possibly resulting in a damaged cord or maybe even exposed wires. If that happens, any imagined "safety" factor for putting the ground on the top will certainly not outweigh the real safety hazard of a damaged cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House