Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,944,706 times

Advertisements

Original drawings and paintings that I found in antique stores and junk shops. These were very cheap and most were under $30. One 4' x 5' oil painting cost $100 and hangs over my sofa.

I had such fun searching for art that I love, and only perhaps one in several hundred would "call to me". After several years on my quest for terrific art, I finally have all that I need.

New Orleans is great for this sort of cheap amateur art, because we have a big art community and people even come here to draw and paint views of the French Quarter and so on. A lot of these paintings end up being sold eventually in various dusty old shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,797,220 times
My house is filled with my artwork. I am very prolific and paint a LOT.

See the nest up above my hutch? I went through a "nest" phase and have about 36 nest paintings throughout the living room, dining room, and kitchen. I'm not sick of them quite yet.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:13 PM

531 posts, read 454,291 times
Twenty years ago I used to put up the current Playboy centerfold. My married friends would make excuses to come over and look at them.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
I have bought several original pieces on our travels. I like pieces that evoke the place where I bought them. I have a large watercolor of the OR Coast, a woodland in acrylics from Southern IN, a block print from Hawaii, an oil that my mom painted of my oldest kid, a painting of musicians in New Orleans, a mixed media that I bought a local art show in St.Louis Co, a big watercolor from Southern MO. I also have a few photos, and some pottery pieces hanging among the paintings.

My stuff was bought as I had money to buy them. If I liked what I saw, and I could manage to afford it, I tried to buy it.

I also have a number of pottery pieces bought pretty much throughout my long marriage. Some pieces are eye candy for me, and some pieces are useful. I will always have room in my house for a piece of pottery that I love.

I wish for money to buy better stuff. But what I have, I do like.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,703,307 times
I have mostly original artwork that I have collected on my travels. Some from street fairs, some from street artists and some from small galleries. I remember where I got each one. They may not be to everyone's taste, but each invokes a memory.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:26 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,295,343 times
I bought a beautiful painting of a waterfall when I was in Greece. It has a sister somewhere in the world (it was sold before I bought mine). The stairway is full of paintings of sailboats-one that my husband painted and one that my granddaughter painted (of Hubby on his sailboat). There are a lot of Hubby originals. We also have a bunch of family photos.

There are still a bunch of paintings/pics that we haven't found homes for yet. Yup-this house is a work in progress.

Cat

Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,063,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I have mostly original artwork that I have collected on my travels. Some from street fairs, some from street artists and some from small galleries. I remember where I got each one. They may not be to everyone's taste, but each invokes a memory.
I have a metal wall sculpture I got the last time I was in Guadalajara. I watched it's being made. I used to visit NOLA and stay at the Hotel Monteleone. The last time I was there I got an oil painting showing the Monteleone in the background called Rainy Royal by a guy named Joe Dunn. I also support our local art society and have a couple watercolors paintings of irises and a couple of oils of waterlilies by local artists. My late grandmother had a couple old prints of flowers which are now pretty old--at least 75years--which I matted and framed. That's kind of a lot of flowers, but I have a lot in my yard as well, roses and lilies, camellias and jessamine and crape myrtle so it is bringing the outside in.

Last edited by Gusano; 07-24-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have bought several original pieces on our travels. I like pieces that evoke the place where I bought them. I have a large watercolor of the OR Coast, a woodland in acrylics from Southern IN, a block print from Hawaii, an oil that my mom painted of my oldest kid, a painting of musicians in New Orleans, a mixed media that I bought a local art show in St.Louis Co, a big watercolor from Southern MO. I also have a few photos, and some pottery pieces hanging among the paintings.

My stuff was bought as I had money to buy them. If I liked what I saw, and I could manage to afford it, I tried to buy it.

I also have a number of pottery pieces bought pretty much throughout my long marriage. Some pieces are eye candy for me, and some pieces are useful. I will always have room in my house for a piece of pottery that I love.

I wish for money to buy better stuff. But what I have, I do like.
That's what it's all about though - buying what "speaks" to you. I sometimes wish I had thousands of dollars to buy expensive paintings, but then I realize that there's something about the thrill of the hunt, of finding something hidden away in a little shop somewhere, something that I just fall in love with.

I love that you buy original artwork from your travels - then what's hanging on your walls is filled with good memories. It sounds like you have some beautiful pieces!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,917,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My house is filled with my artwork. I am very prolific and paint a LOT.

See the nest up above my hutch? I went through a "nest" phase and have about 36 nest paintings throughout the living room, dining room, and kitchen. I'm not sick of them quite yet.
Did you paint that hutch? What color/brand is the paint? It's pretty!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
We have some family photographs, a painting by my wife's sister, a couple of touched up prints nicely framed form the Thomas Kincaid store in the mall 15 years ago (not Kincaid, some other guy who always hides 5 angels in the picture someplace) Since we had 5 kids, we really liked those paintings. A painting of the island we live on by a local artist. I cannot remember the rest. We have picture rail and the pictures hang from decorative ropes with a medallion in the center. It is a lot of work, but it looks great and they are really easy to move. Mostly we have clocks all over the pace. I collect antique clocks. In the basement game room we have some old montage (collage?) frames with snap shots of our life and adventures early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House