Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:53 PM

488 posts, read 656,588 times

Advertisements

Lots of great information. If you plan to swim laps, put in the longest pool you can, even if you end up going narrow like a lap pool. My first pool was 16 x 32 and I could just about get started on a lap when I'd run into the wall on the other side. My current pool is 18 x 45 and I'd love for it to be about 10 or 15 feet longer, but ran out of room.

Enjoy your new pool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,080,344 times
My pool is scheduled for demolition in a few days. I live in SoCal. Although it is fenced, the gate was left ajar and my dog drowned. Pool cleaner guys do this all the time. You can have a locked yard gate and a locked pool gate like I did, but if the cleaner comes and you're not home, any child or dog can wander in.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
My pool is scheduled for demolition in a few days. I live in SoCal. Although it is fenced, the gate was left ajar and my dog drowned. Pool cleaner guys do this all the time. You can have a locked yard gate and a locked pool gate like I did, but if the cleaner comes and you're not home, any child or dog can wander in.

I'm really sorry about your dog.

We're probably just going to do the maintenance ourselves.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,539,837 times
Honestly Kathryn, as a fellow Texas resident, pool was on our top three must haves when we were house shopping. I'd rather buy the home with one constructed than install one but since that's not an option here, I'll tell you that I definitely prefer saltwater. The water is softer and less harsh. However the salt cell doesn't last all that long and that's yet another not cheap (relatively) part that you'll need to replace. Our pool is saltwater, with a pebbletek decking, beach entry, spa with waterfall and a few other features. Go easy on the added features, which can easily add up and you'll be looking at a hi five figure pool.

I'd like to think of a pool as a high priced water feature, really. It does add an ambiance to one's yard when not in use. The waterfall, the landscaping, the gentle ripples...all have a calming effect and turn a rather blah interior lot into a beautiful sight if you dress it up well.

I will say that your utilities will go up. Also, here in Texas, there are water restrictions that prevent pool filling during drought and near drought conditions. That's a PITA because you need to keep the water line high.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,688,858 times
Things I learned as a Texas pool owner during the past 40 years.
1. Trees are your enemy.
2. A high privacy fence is a must.
3. A diving board will increase your insurance and is not necessary.
4. A grab rail by your steps is important as you age.
5. You will probably want to plaster every 10 to 15 years.
6. Use a DE filter system with backwash, do not get a cartridge system.
7. Electric bill will increase between $75 and $100 per month during use.
8. Two years ago started using a weekly service @ $140 per month and love it.
My pool/Jacuzzi are heated, 30K gallons, 2.5 hp motor, 60 sq ft filter.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Things I learned as a Texas pool owner during the past 40 years.
1. Trees are your enemy.
2. A high privacy fence is a must.
3. A diving board will increase your insurance and is not necessary.
4. A grab rail by your steps is important as you age.
5. You will probably want to plaster every 10 to 15 years.
6. Use a DE filter system with backwash, do not get a cartridge system.
7. Electric bill will increase between $75 and $100 per month during use.
8. Two years ago started using a weekly service @ $140 per month and love it.
My pool/Jacuzzi are heated, 30K gallons, 2.5 hp motor, 60 sq ft filter.
Excellent! Thank you.

1. Yeah, I love the trees and am not willing to cut them all down but at least one is definitely going.
2. We've got a high privacy fence so that's good.
3. No diving board!
4. We're doing a beach entry so I think we're OK on the exit thing.
5. Told my husband about the Pebble Tec finish - I really like that. Not sure of the maintenance on it.
6. Thanks for the advice on the filter system - I'm definitely going to look into all types.
7. I'm very intrigued by the idea of solar power for the pool. We have the perfect spot to install some sort of solar apparatus without it being seen from the front of the house.

Question - we're in NE Texas (not sure what part of Texas you're in and as you know, there's a wide variation in weather in this large state), so we have long, hot, humid summers and short, mild (but occasionally icy and even a few flurries) winters. Temperate springs and falls with temps in the upper 70s or lower 80s and lows in the 50s and 60s for a couple of months on either end of summer. How long do you think we would need to run a heater if we installed one? We are not interested in actually swimming in the pool in the winter but we wouldn't mind extending the actual swimming season as long as possible. I mean, I could see having to heat the water if the temps are in the 50s or 60s at night, even if they are in the 80s during the day.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Honestly Kathryn, as a fellow Texas resident, pool was on our top three must haves when we were house shopping. I'd rather buy the home with one constructed than install one but since that's not an option here, I'll tell you that I definitely prefer saltwater. The water is softer and less harsh. However the salt cell doesn't last all that long and that's yet another not cheap (relatively) part that you'll need to replace. Our pool is saltwater, with a pebbletek decking, beach entry, spa with waterfall and a few other features. Go easy on the added features, which can easily add up and you'll be looking at a hi five figure pool.

I'd like to think of a pool as a high priced water feature, really. It does add an ambiance to one's yard when not in use. The waterfall, the landscaping, the gentle ripples...all have a calming effect and turn a rather blah interior lot into a beautiful sight if you dress it up well.

I will say that your utilities will go up. Also, here in Texas, there are water restrictions that prevent pool filling during drought and near drought conditions. That's a PITA because you need to keep the water line high.
Yeah, I got online and looked at our neighborhood from an aerial view, and about 1/4 of the homes in our neighborhood have pools (and it seems like every year several more build one). In our former neighborhood about 1/3 had them. We'd rather not build one either! LOL but when we were looking at homes, we never could find one with a pool, that didn't need extensive renovations on the house or property. Now, three years later, we've renovated the house and love everything about it EXCEPT it doesn't have a pool! But we stole this house price wise so we had a lot of room for renovations. The pool will push us over the threshold so if we build one, we sure better stay here for a long time!

We're looking at waterfall at one end, a beach entrance so our dogs don't drown, and three waterfalls (small ones) coming out of the retaining wall that we have to have on one side. I was thinking about lights but honestly, now I'm leaning toward those amazing glow in the dark tiles!

I think it will be beautiful to look at from all the windows in the back of the house - the kitchen and living room all have lots of windows. So yes, I agree, it will add even interior ambiance.

Thank you for your feedback and experience. Oh, question - do you have a heater? If so, do you use it often?

Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Lots of great information. If you plan to swim laps, put in the longest pool you can, even if you end up going narrow like a lap pool. My first pool was 16 x 32 and I could just about get started on a lap when I'd run into the wall on the other side. My current pool is 18 x 45 and I'd love for it to be about 10 or 15 feet longer, but ran out of room.

Enjoy your new pool!
Yes, you know what - I was just convinced we could only put in a free form pool but after reading all this, I went back out into our yard and looked at stuff and realized we could probably put in a pretty long rectangular pool. This opens up options including easier lap swimming and a retractable cover. Hmmmm....

I think we could go about 16 by 45. I'll have to measure it off.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:25 AM

9,445 posts, read 6,603,561 times
Consider an ultra violate sanitizing system. No chlorine!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Consider an ultra violate sanitizing system. No chlorine!
WHAT!!!!! That sounds interesting - going to look into that too!

Wow, I have a lot of homework to do but that's OK. Thank you - keep the tips coming, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House