Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Everything is oatmeal color. Bring in some bright wild color accessories. Bright hand blown glass soap dispenser, soap dish, toothbrush holder, maybe a vase. Pick out a bright rug and towels that echo the color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Darker paint cabinets/walls for contrast? It's a beautiful, neutral bathroom as it is. If you're planning to sell soon, do nothing. If you want to live in it for years and years, lighting and paint should jazz it up by giving some contrast.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Tiles are gray not brown. Wall paint is an antique white.
That's good - gives you a wide range of choices in paint color, and paint color is exactly what you need most.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
That bathroom looks pretty good to me. With a few inexpensive changes, it could be wow.

I think you need some color and some organization. Get a bathtub caddy to go over the tub and put some colorful towels in there. I also like the idea of the corner shelf for a plant. Find one or get one built that fits perfectly into the corner and around the edge of the tub. Then put a large upright plant in the very corner, add some apothecary jars with colored bath salts, and use a basket or transfer the hair products to some nice pump containers to get the hair products out of the window and onto the shelf.

I don't see anything wrong with the light fixture, but I do think the mirrors need to be changed. I think you need some cabinet pulls too.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Thanks all. This is a house we live in about 3-6 months out of the year. No live plants inside fit our lifestyle. We are replacing the mirrors for a single large mirror. The vanity is 78” long and we have ordered a 72” inch framed mirror. Will be ordering a 50.5” wide center light fixture (so we don’t have to patch the existing spot) and it will spread out far enough so edge on each side will line up with each sink faucet.

We like single faucets; will not be replacing for a widespread — this is a retirement home so ease of living is important.

Had a contractor in for a painting quote. He said we need to get the bathtub moved out before he will paint.

We bought this house for the view. To clarify about this (locally reputable) builder of single custom homes.... he bought this particular house in an existing 55+ resort community and tore out kitchen and all bathrooms, and almost all the walls. He reconfigured the house — basically just leaving the foundation, roof and garage intact. We bought the finished product with no input except appliances. Everything is new. However, I think he made many design decisions to conform with fixtures/cabinets/windows that are common in the community. I have had most of the light fixtures replaced and am now working on the master.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 10-31-2017 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I truly don't understand the appeal of those freestanding tubs, but removing and replacing that is undoubtedly more than you want to spend. I feel the same way about the granite counter top--pretty boring colors.

The easiest thing to do is repaint (with care you can get behind the tub), possibly even just one wall, and use towels, rugs, and art to bring some color in.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Symmetry is what your bathroom is missing. You have a 4 lamp (dated) fixture over a 2 sink vanity with 3 heavily framed mirrors.
Change the light fixture, and put up 2 mirrors dedicated to the sinks.
Love the tub!
This. A builder did this?

I hate the way your tub is situated, but if you like the shower, then I think you are stuck with the tub. It looks almost impossible to get into and out of. Make sure you have a non skid thing around the tub, OK?

Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Your bathroom must be a rather popular layout, as clearly shown in pic below. I was actually just looking for sample photos to show 2-tone painting so you wouldn't have to paint the lower portion behind the tub, and ironically I ran into this photo showing 2-tone paint with a layout the same as your bathroom. LOL

But, I like the idea of the 2-tone paint (you could paint a brighter color of course) and this shows you exactly what your bathroom would look like with the 2-tone. Plus you can see how much nicer it will look with a full sized mirror over the 2 sinks. And I also like the looks of the stain glass over the window. You could even go with a more colorful stained glass to really brighten it up. Amazing what a few minor changes would make! The cabinets do look really nice with the darker stain but you can surely work around the cabinets you have now by just making other changes.

It's as if we took your own photos and did a room visualizer with the changes. How cool is that?

https://www.houzz.com/photo/5381778-...oom-cincinnati

Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Amazing! Now I think we’ll hire someone to tile around the base of the tub with the same tiles as in the shower and then paint the walls. Thanks so much for this!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Your bathroom must be a rather popular layout, as clearly shown in pic below. I was actually just looking for sample photos to show 2-tone painting so you wouldn't have to paint the lower portion behind the tub, and ironically I ran into this photo showing 2-tone paint with a layout the same as your bathroom. LOL

But, I like the idea of the 2-tone paint (you could paint a brighter color of course) and this shows you exactly what your bathroom would look like with the 2-tone. Plus you can see how much nicer it will look with a full sized mirror over the 2 sinks. And I also like the looks of the stain glass over the window. You could even go with a more colorful stained glass to really brighten it up. Amazing what a few minor changes would make! The cabinets do look really nice with the darker stain but you can surely work around the cabinets you have now by just making other changes.

It's as if we took your own photos and did a room visualizer with the changes. How cool is that?

https://www.houzz.com/photo/5381778-...oom-cincinnati
Wow! You totally nailed it with this find! I'm really impressed - great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House