Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:48 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I recently moved into a 2BR/2BA roughly 1100 sq. ft condo. I had been living in a similarly sized 2BR apartment, but moved in with my parents for about a year after a financial emergency. They have about 4,000 sq. ft, and I accumulated even more stuff. Their house is swimming in my stuff and their stuff.

This is just scratching the surface of what I'm trying to get rid of. I have no idea where to take some of this. I'm trying to sort into piles of donate, keep, and trash. Give me your recommendations on what to do with it.

1) Nonworking tube TV - this was something of my grandmother's. Best Buy seems to be the only place in the area that will take them. I'll have to pay $25 to get rid of it. Anyone have a better idea?

http://www.johnsoncitytn.com/publicworks/solidwaste/disposal/

2) Busted LED TV - I accidentally broke this a few months ago. It was something like $250 new, and fell off my dresser. I grabbed it, but when I did, the screen shattered. I may repair it, but it's on eBay as-is. Will depend

3) Multiple PC monitors - they are mostly 15"-19" LCDs. Some are mine, some are my father's. No one wants any of them. They are on eBay and a Facebook yard sale group, but have had no interest. eWaste otherwise?

4) Books - there are literally several hundred in boxes I probably won't keep. Most were purchased at thrift stores. I may try and take some to a local book reseller for store credit. Otherwise recycle?

Library might take them if they run book sales

5) Bulk men's clothing. Mostly mine in bags. Shirts, shorts, socks, underwear, some pants. None of it is that valuable or nice. Should this go to Salvation Army or the garbage?

Salvation Army, Goodwill if they are in good condition, otherwise toss. Underwear toss.

6) Nicer men's coats. Probably ten. L/XL. I'm planning on sending these to Salvation Army.

or Goodwill

7) Probably ten bedspreads/comforters of various ages. These have been I'm planning on sending these to the local animal shelter.

Good

8) A ton of old dishes. The glass/plastic are going to recycling. I have no idea what to do with the plates.

Goodwill for all of it

9) Several boxes of parquet wood flooring. This is from 2004. I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. Craigslist?

Yeah or trash

9) Hundreds of CDs/DVDs in jewel cases. These were created during the Netflix DVD craze. We have at least two totes packed to the point they flex with DVDs in jewel cases. Is any of this recyclable?

Again Library book sales. They often sell DVD's as well as music
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House