Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,157,821 times

Advertisements

Emily, I asked a while back and maybe you replied and I missed it. Given the reported state of affairs of your HOA and the management company, I wonder if you have D & O insurance. IF you don't, please run away until it is secured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ridiculous thing to say. I have been on my condo board for five years, and I've yet to see anyone on the board put forth a "pet" idea. And that's certainly not why I joined the board. I swear, some of you just make up things out of the clear blue sky.

How can "the whole HOA idea" have "run its route". Condominiums by definition are a form of joint ownership. You cannot just decide you're going to fix your own section of roof or the sidewalk in front of your own little unit or have your brother's father's cousin come and cut the little patch of lawn outside your window. Those things are JOINTLY OWNED by an association. If you don't want an HOA, move to a single family home.

Oh Emily! I can see the veins sticking out on your forehead. Bless your heart. No "pet projects." If I was in your HOA I'd likely vote for you. But...first, no "special pals" in the neighborhood...that's another thing - too much to go into here (you know what I mean).

Board Member (but outnumbered)... in years past.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:26 PM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Oh Emily! I can see the veins sticking out on your forehead. Bless your heart. No "pet projects." If I was in your HOA I'd likely vote for you. But...first, no "special pals" in the neighborhood...that's another thing - too much to go into here (you know what I mean).
Board Member (but outnumbered)... in years past.
Thank you. Pet Project number one. One member who isn't even a member anymore but has her minions on the board.. wants to replace the street lights that go with the lights on the units. Not necessary. I don't even think it will look good but she has been obsessed over it for years. But, a few things have happened that make me think I have been wrong. I thought I had at least some residents behind me but imho they all betrayed me. We instituted some new rules and they all, on mass, violated them. Some were openly flaunting it. Of course they are all getting warnings. But I started thinking if I have been in the wrong.

1. We have several residents who refuse to get on the board but still act like they own the place. So they do what they want but they don't need to actually do work they don't choose to. Enough of that. The board needs to be stronger and stop not violating people.

2. We have several residents who are 55+ but live here. They live here because our condos are cheaper. I think they need to move on so younger residents can live reasonably.

3. A complex that is near us but not as nice is getting new decks. They are wonderful and "trex" I checked one out this weekend at an open house. The condos have jumped in price, I think, largely due to the deck. I think that the proper capital project not only would increase the value of the property but, would also encourage people that are on the fence to move. In fact, yearly assessments might send the problem residents running.

I don't like paying for assessments but I can afford it and it might really break the back of some residents. I think the condo needs new blood. But I am no longer killing myself for people that immediately gave me the finger.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,512,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Thank you. Pet Project number one. One member who isn't even a member anymore but has her minions on the board.. wants to replace the street lights that go with the lights on the units. Not necessary. I don't even think it will look good but she has been obsessed over it for years. But, a few things have happened that make me think I have been wrong. I thought I had at least some residents behind me but imho they all betrayed me. We instituted some new rules and they all, on mass, violated them. Some were openly flaunting it. Of course they are all getting warnings. But I started thinking if I have been in the wrong.

1. We have several residents who refuse to get on the board but still act like they own the place. So they do what they want but they don't need to actually do work they don't choose to. Enough of that. The board needs to be stronger and stop not violating people.

2. We have several residents who are 55+ but live here. They live here because our condos are cheaper. I think they need to move on so younger residents can live reasonably.

3. A complex that is near us but not as nice is getting new decks. They are wonderful and "trex" I checked one out this weekend at an open house. The condos have jumped in price, I think, largely due to the deck. I think that the proper capital project not only would increase the value of the property but, would also encourage people that are on the fence to move. In fact, yearly assessments might send the problem residents running.

I don't like paying for assessments but I can afford it and it might really break the back of some residents. I think the condo needs new blood. But I am no longer killing myself for people that immediately gave me the finger.
Do you have regulations prohibiting residents from being 55 or older? I think you are WAY OFF BASE with this statement. If this is your attitude it's no wonder you have residents "that immediately gave me (you) the finger."

Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 AM

3,443 posts, read 4,464,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ridiculous thing to say. I have been on my condo board for five years, and I've yet to see anyone on the board put forth a "pet" idea. And that's certainly not why I joined the board. I swear, some of you just make up things out of the clear blue sky.

How can "the whole HOA idea" have "run its route". Condominiums by definition are a form of joint ownership. You cannot just decide you're going to fix your own section of roof or the sidewalk in front of your own little unit or have your brother's father's cousin come and cut the little patch of lawn outside your window. Those things are JOINTLY OWNED by an association. If you don't want an HOA, move to a single family home.
No they are not. They are owned by the individual unit owners - usually expressed as undivided percentage of the whole. The "association" is an entity separate from the owners.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Do you have regulations prohibiting residents from being 55 or older? I think you are WAY OFF BASE with this statement. If this is your attitude it's no wonder you have residents "that immediately gave me (you) the finger."
Well, if they have a problem they can always run for the board. In the mean time I will be certain to fine them to kingdom come for not following the rules and be sure to level assessments each year so they will be paying as much as they would for 55+ housing.

Many of the 55+ residents are-- as usual for older people -- stubborn and inflexible. They need to move on.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:20 PM

170 posts, read 121,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Well, if they have a problem they can always run for the board. In the mean time I will be certain to fine them to kingdom come for not following the rules and be sure to level assessments each year so they will be paying as much as they would for 55+ housing.

Many of the 55+ residents are-- as usual for older people -- stubborn and inflexible. They need to move on.
This is what I thought but didn't want to ask.

Years ago I lived in a situation like what you describe. I was just out of grad school and bought my first place at 27. I moved into a very beautiful historic condo building in a major US city and had no idea who was on the board. So I got involved, because that seemed like the thing to do to meet the neighbors and take care of my home.

BIG eye opener. The people who lived in my building had been there for decades and had no mortgages. They also had a lot of time on their hands. They were absolutely obsessed with maintenance and replacing things that didn't need it. To them, it added value. To the rest of us, the capital "improvements" were a huge hole down which we were flushing money.

Living in a condo (or co-op, that is even worse) with a majority retired population often means that they will have very different priorities about what needs to happen. They might not be thinking of resale at all because they are going to retire in place-- they already downsized into the condo. Now its all about whatever their picayune obsession is-- cracks in the patio, paint colors, plants, elevators that work just fine but "the doors close too slowly", etc. Believe me, I heard it all. And none of it made actual sense for my life and my priorities.

The best thing I ever did was move. I took a loss because they raised the fees so high I had trouble selling. The other board members saw the reserve as their own personal savings and were paranoid it was going to run out (again, a retired/fixed income mindset). There was no convincing them that the budget was healthy.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Living in a condo (or co-op, that is even worse) with a majority retired population often means that they will have very different priorities about what needs to happen. They might not be thinking of resale at all because they are going to retire in place-- they already downsized into the condo. Now its all about whatever their picayune obsession is-- cracks in the patio, paint colors, plants, elevators that work just fine but "the doors close too slowly", etc. Believe me, I heard it all. And none of it made actual sense for my life and my priorities.
Oh NOOOO that is exactly what the case is here. You see.. the vast majority of condos in the area are 55+ and more expensive. If they move in here they get a pretty nice condo and can sock away all the money. The younger kids can't buy here because they are outbid by selfish baby boomers who won't live where they are supposed to 55+ housing. We have some residents who can't do the board because they have dementia.

Several people who moved out were younger and now we definitely have a majority elderly population who come up with elderly ideas such as

"no rentals"
"no FHA"
"no website"
"no I won't pay attention to the website you provide for me"

They do have their picayune obsessions
- decks
- grass
- plants
- trees

Blah blah blah

But how do I get rid of them? I would love to leave but there really aren't too many places to go. I would love to go to 55+ housing but they won't let me.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,920,549 times
EmilyFoxSeaton, I had not noticed this topic and just read all the pages. Yikes. Now I recall what I hated about some HOAs.

They're not all bad. But sometimes you get a bad one.

Two things that can help an issue are rules and laws.

Not knowing your location, I can't speak specifically about your area.

I think all HOAs have to be incorporated. It's a corporation. With a board. Whose members have specific duties clearly listed in at least some states. With papers filed annually any place I know of. There are expiration dates that some don't stick to and get in trouble.

The areas I know, a reserve study is required every so many years. Meetings have to occur with notice to residents every so many months. And how to give that notice, depending on the state, can require a couple of paragraphs. So can how a resident can attend...phone, video etc. Minutes done professionally.

Financial pages done I forget how often...annually, every so many years...by a CPA that specializes in HOAs. I have been in HOAs were the financial report had to come out monthly. I do know there's that secret account.

I have seen the list of bylaws and consequences for not following them...fines.

I did know one where board members loved being on that board. It took a while but finally many people figured out why. Kind of two main reasons.

They could now finally decorate and repair and plant to their heart's content because, as they even said at times, they couldn't afford to do it in their own homes.

It is also an ego thing. Some people wanted to be on the board because they had long ago reached the level of their incompetence. They could never go higher in their jobs or lives. But they always felt they were owed more. More money, more deference, more glad handing. So on the board they could charge a few things off, order more of something than was needed, could really finally be in charge of something. Little people who always wanted control and had some control now.

It looks like you say the board members are the overspenders, not the residents. If I was on that board and found out this stuff I might be tempted to let residents know what is happening to their money. Just a factual report every so often.

Do you board members have some kind of insurance so they can't be sued in case a resident wises up?

Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
No they are not. They are owned by the individual unit owners - usually expressed as undivided percentage of the whole. The "association" is an entity separate from the owners.
Not at any condominium association I’ve ever seen. The unit owners never own the exterior of the building. Some, the unit owners may own doors and windows. A homeowners association of single family homes? Sure. With multi-dwelling units, I’ve never seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House