Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

Gas. Every time I buy it the furnace just burns it up and leaves me with another bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:59 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Just bought a piano keyboard, which I have been lusting after for months. But I bought it online, and when it arrived, it was so big it took up the whole small condo. It is like a big lumbering beast crouching against a wall in our living room/dining room. It didn't look that big on the computer screen!

Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Another thing we regretted were a couple of chandeliers. For a while, I felt like I was collecting chandeliers. (The house needed A LOT.) I found two similar ones on eBay for the 2 bedrooms-but they were painted and the paint was peeling off. They also had to be rewired. So, we got them and started working on them. First, I cleaned them-which took off what was left of the paint. Then Hubby painted them again and then tried to rewire them but he couldn't figure out how to piece them back together. (They came together in pieces.) By this time we both had buyer's remorse. We decided to give up. I found a really nice one for the spare bedroom and we still haven't gotten one for ours. (We are using one with a ceiling fan that doesn't work-someday we will replace it.) We put those chandeliers out at our yard sale and we heard the comments, "Oh too bad they are painted." Another thing I need to put up on Craigslist.

Cat

Old 01-26-2018, 02:26 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
An outdoor patio table & chairs. They really are too big for the space and are a bit more flimsy that I thought they would be. Still, they'll do for now. I'm hoping to move within 1.5 years and they will *not* be coming with us.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Not recently but on a new build, a garden jetted tub. Never used it after a few times trying it out. Waste of money.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:01 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Well I didn't recently buy it--- but thought I would add on to the previous post--. In our master bath, we had the option of a jacuzzi. I am one who prefers to bathe rather than shower so it seemed like a great perk. I think I used it maybe 6 times in 20 years, never really enjoying it. DH has back issues so we thought he might enjoy having it but getting in and out was not great when his back was out so it was really not used.
I used the tub every day but never with the jets. Then the jets also got discolored......

When it came time to renovate the bathroom we replaced it with a regular (oversized but non jetted) tub and I have never missed it.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 AM

94 posts, read 87,292 times
Got carried away by the instant pot rage. Joined all the FB groups, downloaded the cookbooks and everything. It dawned on me that the only thing I would have use for was the slow cooker part and already had a slow cooker.

I sent the instant pot back, don’t need another unused appliance cluttering up my life.

Few years ago bought an Omega juicer. Used it maybe 4 times. Sits in its box in my pantry now.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:00 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Possibly the TV we put in our bedroom. Now the family tends to congregate there and just stay there watching TV.

My daughter bought a dog, and then could not keep it so we inherited it. It is an awful dog. Neurotic, poops on the floor and has an anal gland problem that makes her ooze disgusting stinky butt oil all the time. I wish I would return that dumb dog, or just shoot it, but my wife loves her.

A bush that died.

I also bought three trees int he fall, we will see whether they are alive in a few months. If they live I will not regret buying them.
I remember your tree planting thread. I hope they make it.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First, let me clarify "I" didn't buy it- this was a dw purchase.

Amazon Echo! "Alexa" is a Royal Pain In My Ass!!! I used to use switches to turn things on and off. It required no assistance from ANYONE! Now, I have to "speak" to an AI entity in order to operate simple things like lights!

Now granted there is a plethora of other "things" this "PIMA" can do besides turn lights on and off- but I like the ol' fashion way; at least I got some exercise out of turning lights off and on.
I'm not going to do that. Pima references my bed sheets.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Another thing we regretted were a couple of chandeliers. For a while, I felt like I was collecting chandeliers. (The house needed A LOT.) I found two similar ones on eBay for the 2 bedrooms-but they were painted and the paint was peeling off. They also had to be rewired. So, we got them and started working on them. First, I cleaned them-which took off what was left of the paint. Then Hubby painted them again and then tried to rewire them but he couldn't figure out how to piece them back together. (They came together in pieces.) By this time we both had buyer's remorse. We decided to give up. I found a really nice one for the spare bedroom and we still haven't gotten one for ours. (We are using one with a ceiling fan that doesn't work-someday we will replace it.) We put those chandeliers out at our yard sale and we heard the comments, "Oh too bad they are painted." Another thing I need to put up on Craigslist.

Cat
People used to love to coat everything in paint. In the old house where I grew up, all of the door knobs, light switches and plates had at least three coats.

I haven't bought anything that I don't need in a long time. I'm getting rid of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House