Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I like the two-stories houses much better.
Am I the odd one here?
Nope. You're the young one in the discussion.
Over 50 the appeal of stairs diminishes rapidly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's obviously personal preference.

However... If the smells coming from your kitchen aren't a GOOD thing? You're doing it wrong.
I am not talking about my house here.

Sometimes people are used to their house smell and wont know the difference. When I get to other people houses, I can tell if they have been cooking or not.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. You're the young one in the discussion.
Over 50 the appeal of stairs diminishes rapidly
I am older. But I have been using stair all my life. It is a good exercise.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I think one story houses can be just as attractive, as two story, but usually they aren’t. I’m done with stairs, unless the master is on the first floor.

If only nobody would build soulless shoeboxes.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Am I the odd one here?"

Yes. Most certainly.

"Mine isn't smelly (unless I'm cooking fish, but then I'm not trying to sleep then, either)."

Sleeping with the fishes is not a good idea...

"How old people in Europe handle stair. I guess that is why there is more obesity in the US."

Don't quit your day job to be a scientist. People in Europe also have more access to waterways and canals. That doesn't make them mermaids.

People in Europe sometimes lived above their livestock to take advantage of the heat, as well as a measure of protection from thieves. They also threw their poop out the second story windows onto the street. It added to the curb appeal and the size of their poo impressed the neighbors. People in the U.S. are not as easily impressed.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM

743 posts, read 876,199 times
In AZ it just makes more sense to have one story because of the heat issue. I do have a basement, and love it. I've toured model homes and while nice, as soon as you go upstairs you can feel the heat rising. Just not cost effective IMO, but there are a ton of them around.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,395 times
When we moved into our current house, my wife and I thought it was the perfect ‘forever home’, and that all it’s features (including stairs) were all we’d ever need. Well, 32 years later, we’re still here, but our knees (and coordination) aren’t exactly up to snuff. If we were shopping now, we’d definitely only consider a single-story home.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Am I the odd one here?"

Yes. Most certainly.

"Mine isn't smelly (unless I'm cooking fish, but then I'm not trying to sleep then, either)."

Sleeping with the fishes is not a good idea...

"How old people in Europe handle stair. I guess that is why there is more obesity in the US."

Don't quit your day job to be a scientist. People in Europe also have more access to waterways and canals. That doesn't make them mermaids.

People in Europe sometimes lived above their livestock to take advantage of the heat, as well as a measure of protection from thieves. They also threw their poop out the second story windows onto the street. It added to the curb appeal and the size of their poo impressed the neighbors. People in the U.S. are not as easily impressed.
I am laughing out loud.

Some of you are just too precious.

Clutch your pearls: I live in a one-story, 942 square foot condo. Two bedroom, ONE bath. (Heard the thud as somebody just hit the floor.) I can stand in the center hall and turn around in a 360 and see the whole place.

Nothing from the kitchen has ever smelled so bad that I couldn't sleep.

Reminds me of my friend's brother and his wife, who are very wealthy. They moved back to NJ from TX and were going on and on about how they were adjusting from a 4500 s.f. house to their little tiny 3200 s.f. house.

I said, "I live in a 942-s.f. condo." You should have seen their heads swivel toward me and both their mouths drop open in unison. It still cracks me up when I remember it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I like the two-stories houses much better.

They have curb-appeal and look grander. The house is more energy efficient. There is separate living and sleeping space. I would hate to sleep in my master right next to the noisy living room or smelly kitchen.

Am I the odd one here?
Have you ever watched a simulation of a house on fire? Stairs are wasted space and falls happen too often.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Some of this is regional. I grew up in New England and preferred a two-story house. Now that I live in Florida, however, I've gotten used to the efficiency and convenience of one-story living, so one story it is! I do like knowing that as we get older, we won't need to downsize unless we want to; our master bathroom shower is walk-in and equipped with grab bars, so it's all set for our old age, if we choose to stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House