Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:50 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

[quote=jencam;51884044]IDK about getting rid of HOAs, but the total lack of oversight is bad. There is not a single agency one can go to for any assistance. I think that should change. As you say, one has to sue and responsible homeowners don't want to sue. If it can be avoided, suing is not in the best interests of the association./QUOTE]

This is what I am saying.. have a gov't agency you can go to with complaints. Right now HOAs have nothing and no one holding them accountable.

Sometimes members of my board go and do things behind my back and no one holds them accountable. A few weeks ago three of the four members of the board ordered action and one member went behind our back and told the property manager not to.

So the oversight is horrible just within the board.

I seriously want to propose to my condo that we end the board and just have a trusted chief executive, me, run the board. I have been on the board for years now and having more than one person on the board just slows progress down. They come up with dumb ideas, don't do the work they are supposed to, don't even respond on a timely basis...

IMHO also another problem is that HOAs are the only thing that we give power to people without any sort of qualifications. I have people on my board who couldn't be elected dog catcher. And they act like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
[quote=EmilyFoxSeaton;51886406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
IDK about getting rid of HOAs, but the total lack of oversight is bad. There is not a single agency one can go to for any assistance. I think that should change. As you say, one has to sue and responsible homeowners don't want to sue. If it can be avoided, suing is not in the best interests of the association./QUOTE]

This is what I am saying.. have a gov't agency you can go to with complaints. Right now HOAs have nothing and no one holding them accountable.

Sometimes members of my board go and do things behind my back and no one holds them accountable. A few weeks ago three of the four members of the board ordered action and one member went behind our back and told the property manager not to.

So the oversight is horrible just within the board.

I seriously want to propose to my condo that we end the board and just have a trusted chief executive, me, run the board. I have been on the board for years now and having more than one person on the board just slows progress down. They come up with dumb ideas, don't do the work they are supposed to, don't even respond on a timely basis...

IMHO also another problem is that HOAs are the only thing that we give power to people without any sort of qualifications. I have people on my board who couldn't be elected dog catcher. And they act like it.
Emily, you are a hoot!

As far as rogue board members, you don't want to just vote them off? The lack of qualifications is scary. This board was heavily reliant on their attorney, which at least to me is better than not seeking guidance, but some are mad at the cost of that.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM

[quote=jencam;51894687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Emily, you are a hoot! As far as rogue board members, you don't want to just vote them off? The lack of qualifications is scary. This board was heavily reliant on their attorney, which at least to me is better than not seeking guidance, but some are mad at the cost of that.
My condo is so small and pathetic that anyone who runs gets on because if positions are vacant for more than 6 weeks, you can just get the job if you want it.

I just planted with some of the residents the idea of recall one of the trustees. He does not understand the job and it is interfering with there ability to get things done. But they don't think they could get 51% of the apathetic residents to get rid of him.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
[quote=EmilyFoxSeaton;51913678]
Quote:

My condo is so small and pathetic that anyone who runs gets on because if positions are vacant for more than 6 weeks, you can just get the job if you want it.

I just planted with some of the residents the idea of recall one of the trustees. He does not understand the job and it is interfering with there ability to get things done. But they don't think they could get 51% of the apathetic residents to get rid of him.
Cake and ice cream???

Seriously, think of incentives.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:

I meant other board members. Here, board members by majority can vote someone away. I think ours has to have a replacement to do that, but possibly not, as another section of our by-laws say that the President or VP can control a vacant spot. You, particularly, would like to fill in a vacancy, since you don't want to bother with other board members!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 PM

[quote=harry chickpea;51913888]
Quote:

Cake and ice cream???

Seriously, think of incentives.
LOL.

We do get a good turn out for 'National Night Out' and the Christmas party, maybe because goodies? IDK, they do ours pretty fun. They don't even offer water at meetings, maybe that is part of the problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Quote:

That's the thing. Seems like quite a few people buying in a HOA area do that for a feeling of having everything taken care of. Even if it's just grass areas. Could also be sports areas, children's play area close enough so they don't have to go far. On the face of it it seems good and I know people who said going in they thought it was a great idea. But when they find out the problems, they don't know to know too much or do too much about them because they moved there for the opposite reason...not doing much about things.

From what I have heard from acquaintances and from reading on places like this, I don't think even a large special assessment because of mistakes made by a board will even rock that boat.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 PM

[quote=jencam;51914697]
Quote:
I meant other board members. Here, board members by majority can vote someone away. I think ours has to have a replacement to do that, but possibly not, as another section of our by-laws say that the President or VP can control a vacant spot.
No my docs only allow removal by a vote of 51% of the residents.

Quote:
they don't know to know too much or do too much about them because they moved there for the opposite reason...not doing much about things.
That is a great point. Just another reason an HOA is a failed model. My condo has the most insane thing.. there is NO records kept from one board to another. I believe it is because some residents are like "well you will come running back to me" once they get off the board but also, just frankly, there is no central person who will even take that responsibility on to bridge the boards. NOT even the property manager. He is no fool. He knows if his board knows nothing he can control them.

Every time I ask him for anything from prior boards.. he doesn't have it.

One of our projects is finding a way to keep this information.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM

[quote=petsandgardens;51918398]
Quote:

That's the thing. Seems like quite a few people buying in a HOA area do that for a feeling of having everything taken care of. Even if it's just grass areas. Could also be sports areas, children's play area close enough so they don't have to go far. On the face of it it seems good and I know people who said going in they thought it was a great idea. But when they find out the problems, they don't know to know too much or do too much about them because they moved there for the opposite reason...not doing much about things.

From what I have heard from acquaintances and from reading on places like this, I don't think even a large special assessment because of mistakes made by a board will even rock that boat.
You are probably spot on. Why move to a place where everything is taken care of for you, and then take on responsibility for EVERYONE, and face the ire that comes with getting involved.

I feel stung like I stepped into a Hornets nest, since the people that do like to be in charge of things are wild and crazy about it. !

I guess the experience I am having, if it were possible to get out of HOA and take on responsibility for just my stuff would seem far superior.

Now the candidate bios are up, and the answer to the question of how they will handle their fake budget is answered. The VP wants to take out a loan. Jesus. I'd rather bite the bullet on their overspending and just pay it in dues or special assessment. I don't want to kick the can down the road and add interest in.

But it's politically smart even though it's financially stupid. Dues increase or special assessment would make people mad and to cause them to say STOP SPENDING. Or, worse for them, want them out. They campaigned on saving us money.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Why would anyone want to live under an HOA? It's like high school all over again. The popular kids run it, and if you aren't part of the in-group, you get bullied.
Second that. Think of the most mean, intolerant, and judgmental old person you know and imagine a whole room of them with absolute power over what you can do with your home. No thanks. Here in Illinois the govt is bad enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House