Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times

Advertisements

I ask this because it hasn't meant diddly. Our first floor has brazilian cherry that supposedly has a higher Janka rating. With our large dog, that hasn't translated into minimal scratching. We'd have to trim our dogs nails three times a month to prevent scratching. We don't just clip, we use the grinder too but as dog owners are aware, you don't want to clip the quick so there's about so much you can take off. We accept the scratches due to having a large dog, but still......we should have put in wood look tile, or LVP but were unsure of resale value since so many of the other homes are being updated with wood flooring, ugh. Not to mention, I dropped an object and it dented the floor.

We're going to install wood on the second floor, in the halls and playroom. The floor I like though has a lower Janka rating. does that mean it's going to perform even worse?? Though I will say that there are NO shoes on the second floor and is fairly wood-friendly, even if the kids are horsing around in the playroom. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Is the scratching in the wood itself or the finish? The rating of the wood wouldn't apply to the finish.

And even if it is in the wood, as I understand it the Janka rating measures the ability of the wood to withstand downward force. So a species with a higher rating would be better able to withstand a heavy object being dropped on it or a heavy piece of furniture setting on it for a long time without denting. I don't know that it's a good indicator as to how your floor is going to hold up to abrasives like a pet's claws or dirt on your shoes.

If scratching is your main concern you need to focus more on the depth and hardness of the finish than the hardness of the wood.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:26 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Is the scratching in the wood itself or the finish? The rating of the wood wouldn't apply to the finish.

And even if it is in the wood, as I understand it the Janka rating measures the ability of the wood to withstand downward force. So a species with a higher rating would be better able to withstand a heavy object being dropped on it or a heavy piece of furniture setting on it for a long time without denting. I don't know that it's a good indicator as to how your floor is going to hold up to abrasives like a pet's claws or dirt on your shoes.

If scratching is your main concern you need to focus more on the depth and hardness of the finish than the hardness of the wood.

Nailed it!^^^

Old 05-17-2018, 06:09 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
I believe Janka relates to how hard the wood is - meaning how difficult it is to damage it.

When my wife and I were selecting wood for our floor, we got some samples of various wood. I placed them on a piece of plywood and she walked on them with heels. I dropped hammers and screw drivers on them.

The highest Janka rating would was the one that sustained the least damage (or in our case, no damage). Our floor is about 10 years old. There are some scratches. But, no damage that I can see anywhere.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,559,982 times
We have red oak in our house. We were contemplating replacing with something harder on the Janka scale called Cumaru, which is basically Brazilian teak. One of the hardest you can get. Our red oak was 17 years old and initially thought was damaged due to being too soft. Turned out that the damaged areas, were really just from the finish in high traffic areas basically being gone after 17 years, raising two kids, and my understanding a bunch of dogs over the years from the previous owner. We decided to save the money and refinish the red oak. It was the right call. 3 coats of Bona Traffic HD finish, and I've seen hard toys go flying from the upstairs to the foyer floor....no damage.

Red oak isn't very hard when looking at the Janka scale. But there were no deep gouges in ours from furniture or whatnot. Just a lot of worn scratches in the main traffic areas. Now we're not throwing knives around, but typical family living.

I think you're looking for a more hardy finish, not harder wood.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
You could also go with a wood that has a lot of grain to it. Or one of the "scraped" woods which have an uneven finish. Won't show the scratches and dents as much.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Personally, when I shop for flooring I try to focus on the Sanka rating. This measures a floor's resistance to staining when you spill instant coffee on it.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,588,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Personally, when I shop for flooring I try to focus on the Sanka rating. This measures a floor's resistance to staining when you spill instant coffee on it.

Would that include non-caffeinated as opposed to caffeinated?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Would that include non-caffeinated as opposed to caffeinated?
Sanka is only available in decaf as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House