Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:37 AM

218 posts, read 241,865 times

Advertisements

About once a week, my neighbor takes a broom and long handled dust pan and sweeps the sidewalk and gutter from corner to corner on our block. So far I have only seen her on our side of the street, but expect to see her on the other side at any time. She also takes her dogs for walks every day. Not strange until you know that they are in a baby buggy. I have never seen either dog walking, except in their back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:14 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
One my neighbors claim they haven't made a mortgage payment in 9 years or so. House I see goes up for pending auction online. Evidently they make some kind of payment and the auction is recalled. About a year later the house is pending auction again. Freeloader that boasts why should he pay.

Well they're clearly making payments everytime they're forced to to avoid the sale, but looking at https://www.foreclosure.com/foreclosure_laws.html, it looks like New Jersey is one of the most home "owner" friendly states in the nation. Can take up to 9 months to get somebody out! I used to work in loss mitigation for a mortgage company. Nothing that deadbeats will do surprises me anymore.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
My neighbor to the right, about 500 yards away is constantly rebuilding his front deck. Every 6 - 8 weeks he takes something down, adds something, or completely tears it down and starts over. Been doing that for 8 or 9 years now. The neighbor across the road, who actually lives on another road, but his house is visible is obsessed with burning stuff. Always has a pile of something piling up out there and he will burn it at night time all year round.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:35 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
There's a family who lives in my neighborhood who has this in their front yard. It's a mannequin/statue type thing. You can't tell from the picture, I don't think, but it's holding a cigarette. It's been out there sitting on that bench "petting" a horse for well over a year. Pretty bizarre - also, notice all the other strange items. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your strange neighbors-odd-neighbor.jpg   Tell us about your strange neighbors-bizarre-yard.jpg  

Old 06-03-2018, 01:49 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
One place we had an elderly couple as neighbors who were nice at first, but alkies. No matter when they invited you over, drinks would be served. After a few he would start slurring and nodding off. We could always tell when their trash was being picked up because it was full of glass bottles and you could hear them clanking. He once came back from visiting her in the hospital, loaded, dropped his keys in the snow and couldn't find them. He came over and DH went back with him and found them right by the car. Could have easily turned tragic if he had not made it to our house, it was a very cold night. After a while they decided they did not like us anymore, no great loss.

The last place we owned a house, crazy neighbor lady had (I counted them once) 27 lawn ornaments of all kinds. Water wheel, light house, plywood Santa year round, windmill, 3D deer hunting targets, the cement donkey and cart, you name it. AND her house, as well as 5 other buildings on the property, were painted electric blue. It made it very handy to give directions, she was known county-wide. After a few years all the buildings were repainted bright red.
hahahah love the santa all year round..

Old 06-03-2018, 02:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I wonder if my neighbors think I’m the crazy one because I weed my yard after dark? Thing is; I’m allergic to bee stings & have Microcytic Anemia, which lowers my heat tolerance. Now that I think about it, I probably do look weird out in the yard with my headlamp flashlight on, pulling weeds.

In the neighborhood next to mine there is a guy I have always wondered about. All I know is that it’s an older man who lives alone but I’ve never actually seen him. He drives an old beat-up Ford pick up truck & his entire lot is fenced off.

His yard looks a littlle “hoard-ish†at first but then you notice that the yard is always mowed & none of the clutter is typical hoarding stuff. No appliances or rusted vehicles; just pieces of ironwork & metal sculptures. And a lot of it.

He has one of those older houses that are really narrow if you look at it from in front but it goes way back. The front porch takes up over half the front of the house & for years & years, from around late 70’s, over the front porch where you would expect an awning to be?

Was a giant nose.

As in a massive, full color, sculpted, human proboscis. It was probably about 6 foot tall, 5 foot wide & 4 ft deep. Very realistic looking. The nose stayed on the front of the house, over the porch until maybe the late 1990’s.

It was promptly replaced, with a giant eyeball, which is still there, on the front of his house, right over the porch. A big, blue eye.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
One of my neighbors was very upset about leaves. She went out and painted nail polish on some to prove that the same ones were being blown by the landscaping company back onto her porch.

Another clipped hedges in the middle of the night because the board had told her to stop clipping them.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
One my neighbors claim they haven't made a mortgage payment in 9 years or so. House I see goes up for pending auction online. Evidently they make some kind of payment and the auction is recalled. About a year later the house is pending auction again. Freeloader that boasts why should he pay.
We had that situation too. What they were doing is tying it up in court. Under that 'Sovereign Citizen' idea. It's pretty amazing how long they held on to it w/o paying.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:46 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
My house is on a wide hillside so the properties on my side of our narrow road look over the ones on the other. The neighbors directly downhill from me provide a lot of entertainment particularly in winter. Their driveway, as all of the neighborhood's is dirt. It is also short, goes downhill quite steeply, with the house right at the bottom. No garage or real turn around space, so they end up parking their numerous vehicles, including an RV, in a straggling line next to the house. All summer they spend an incredible amount of time shuffling parked cars so someone stuck at the very bottom can get out. Over and over again. Oh, almost forgot the 25 ft boat on trailer. Extra fun when that shows up. I suppose one of them could pursue a lucrative career in valet parking if such things existed in boony town AK.

Whoever cleared and built that place years ago never considered snow, ice, or mud. The gyrations various family members go through to get up or down that driveway when the ground is frozen are hilarious. They never plow it either. I've watched vehicles end up resting against the house siding (I snooped once and peered at it with binoculars...yes, the wood siding has obviously been replaced at about the right height of a pickup bumper), high-centered right at the junction of the driveway and the road shoulder, slid into the spruce trees surrounding the house, or parked on the road because no one has the guts to deal with it. Pedestrians end up slipping down the driveway on their butts. Early on winter mornings I often wake up to the glare of headlights pointing upslope accompanied by the roaring of one vehicle trying to tow another one up that slope, out of the ditches, even turn one around so it can get a running start.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-03-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 03:40 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
I know of one who didn't make a mortgage payment for over five years AND rented the house out the entire time. So, she wasn't paying anything and making money off it the whole time. She was a bit vague about how she managed that but implied that she knew how to "play the game".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House