Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

I told my niece I'd ask a question on her behalf, so here goes.

She is moving to another city temporarily and has an apartment for 3 months. This will be her first time having a shower that requires a shower curtain. She came to me for advice, but like her, I've only had enclosed showers so we're both kind of clueless.

She bought a simple fabric shower curtain. It's 55% cotton, 45% polyester. Then she noticed it said she needed a liner. Before she goes back to the store to buy a liner, she was wondering if she could use a plastic shower curtain (the she had in college days) as a liner for the fabric shower curtain.

She knows she could just use the plastic curtain, but apparently she likes the fabric one better if there's a way she can use it. At the same time, she doesn't feel like buying a liner if she can avoid it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 12:46 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Plastic liner inside the tub, fabric outside. Plastic shower curtain will work.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
We have a lightweight fabric shower curtain that does not need a liner. It works great. I don’t know if it was from Bed Bath Beyond or WalMart because my husband found it.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
All she has to do is put the hooks through both the cloth and the plastic. Most of them work like this.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What North Beach Person said. Hang both the fabric curtain and the plastic curtain from the same hooks and just make sure the plastic is in the tub and the fabric hanging outside. There are fabric curtains that do not require a liner, but I prefer the curtain plus liner method.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Yes, of course. a liner and a plastic shower curtain are the same thing.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:25 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Usually the plastic liner is really cheap while the fabric curtain can cost 2-3 times as much.

The plastic liner can be thought of as disposable if it gets water stains or even a faint bit of mold somewhere, while the fabric curtain is there for the long haul. Finding the perfect design for your bathroom, matching the towels, and coordinating the accessories is a big deal for many, so keeping the fabric curtain looking its best is the goal.

BTW, a plastic liner might differ from a plastic shower curtain. The liners are often thinner, cheaper, and have no design features--just clear. The plastic curtain might have a printed design of some sort.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Usually the plastic liner is really cheap while the fabric curtain can cost 2-3 times as much.

The plastic liner can be thought of as disposable if it gets water stains or even a faint bit of mold somewhere, while the fabric curtain is there for the long haul. Finding the perfect design for your bathroom, matching the towels, and coordinating the accessories is a big deal for many, so keeping the fabric curtain looking its best is the goal.

BTW, a plastic liner might differ from a plastic shower curtain. The liners are often thinner, cheaper, and have no design features--just clear. The plastic curtain might have a printed design of some sort.
^^^^This^^^^

Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Agree.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
when I had a fabric cloth, I used liners from the dollar store. For 3 months, she may only need one, I usually replaced a couple of times a year. A plastic shower curtain will work but they are usually thicker and not as flexible as a liner, and more expensive. But I'd spring for a dollar store liner rather than reusing a plastic curtain that she's had for a while, because they do get dirty and stained, and why not having something clean and fresh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House