Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

We have been pushing her to move; however, she has been in the home for nearly 45 years and isn't ready for that kind of change (she just retired last month from her full-time job after 40 years!). I have siblings still in her area so she is not alone and I'm comfortable with her staying there for at least the next few years. As Pywewackette stated, the move would be very traumatic for her currently with the recent life-change. I think my family will likely push a bit more once the basement is remedied and we can show her housing options that might suit her better than an old house. I know it's easy to say "Tell her to move!" but that's a tough sell for someone who has lived there long-term, raised a family there, has great neighbors, etc.

I am definitely not wanting to finish her basement on any level, just make it presentable enough to eventually sell without screaming red flags to potential buyers with something that wouldn't get totally ruined in the rare event some other natural disaster hits.

I will look into the backwater valve, I appreciate the input. I did look at epoxy flooring ideas as well, just didn't feel like that was worth the expense seeing as she obviously won't be in the house long-term at this point.

Sounds like cement and keeping it as a truly unfinished basement is the way to go here. I just thought someone might have an idea as to something super durable and inexpensive to cover the (ugly) basement flooring. Thanks for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Go with polished stained concrete or epoxy then.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post

Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
I used a concrete stain on my lanai and 25 years later it still looked new. You do have to prep it tho.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
I hope your mother isn't living there with that water in the basement. Mold is a huge issue as well as the toxins in that water. There's also mosquitos. ..

She should also look into better drainage on her property. French drains, etc.
The best choice is to move someplace safe where she wouldn't have to evacuate and deal with flooding.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
You can get DIY epoxy flooring for garages that might work just fine. There are kits with cleaning/etching solution and decorative chips.

Rust-Oleum makes a kit that will cover a 1 car garage for under $100.

Would also recommend the back flow valve. Plumbing outfits install them. This would be a bit more spendy. $1500+ most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House