Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times

Advertisements

Been seeing bugs /roaches frequently recently . I had bought some of those bait things and put them around kitchen and bathroom . Also sprayed mostly outside with Ortho home defense

I’ve heard good things about the bug bombs but haven’t tried them .
I’m leaning towards just hiring a pest control company. My main concern is possible health risks especially for my one year old .
I am actually at the home myself now but she will be moving in soon .

I have heard of some pest control companies that are “eco friendly “ but do these actually work ?
Getting tired of having to squash roaches , just saw one today . On Saturday I saw a live one as well .

Sometimes I’m seeing dead ones as well . It seems it has gotten worse with the heat but seems like I’m seeing way too many .

Would you have any concerns of having an exterminator/pest control come with a young child in the house ?

Any advice , thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,429,964 times
Used this: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...sc-insecticide around my infant neblings at their grandmothers, all 3 kids are fine. Granny was having issues with black widow spiders, so it was a little more serious than roaches. Keep the kids from licking the baseboards and there won't be any issue at all.

I've been using it for years with dogs and they also haven't had issue. Works great on roaches (I see them dead outside all the time, inside hardly ever). Certainly not the only option, but it's one of many available. Heck of a lot cheaper to do it yourself, we moved off the companies when they insisted on tromping through our house with muddy boots and spray all over the walls where the paint was then stained. Again, not an issue with the above (staining paint, carpet, vinyl, marble, granite or hardwood floors)

Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,344,881 times
Two options that will work, I know:

1) Roach Prufe powder
2) Fumigating fogger (NOT the misting type). These were very successful in a house with crawl space; I just put it down there, set it off, and left the house for several hours. If you don't have a crawl space you'll need to think about how to use.

Live a few years in Houston and you learn what really works.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
The sticky at the top of the forum shows how to avoid the toxic pesticides and pest control companies. I hired and fired a number of pest control companies in a commercial setting. Avoid them when possible, educate yourself before trying one. Good techs are often hard to find.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the posts , I'll take a look at the sticky too.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Been seeing bugs /roaches frequently recently . I had bought some of those bait things and put them around kitchen and bathroom . Also sprayed mostly outside with Ortho home defense ....

Any advice , thanks
I lived in NYC for forty-one years: I am a master roach killer, all sizes, all colors, totally non-discriminatory.

Get yourself a can of boric acid powder/crystals. Put this around where the roaches might be entering - where the drains enter the floors, along the cracks by your mop boards, etc., etc. And be prepared to sweep away the bodies.

One landlady used to hire an exterminator, and the the basement and lower floor were still getting those big bozo type roaches that can eat mice for lunch. I got disgusted with them going into my first floor and went into the basement with a box of boric acid crystals and poured it under her washer, into the boiler room, and around when she hoarded her junk from renovations. About a week later she remarked to me what an incredible amount of "sewer roaches" the exterminator had killed.

I let her in on the secret, and the exterminator was out of a job.

Try it. I have never had it fail to solve the problem....but do not be stingy with it.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times
Second on the Boric acid, it's a lifesaver. Also the bait by MAxforce is a good secondary offense, better than the usual baits found in stores, might have to search around for it.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I lived in NYC for forty-one years: I am a master roach killer, all sizes, all colors, totally non-discriminatory.

Get yourself a can of boric acid powder/crystals. Put this around where the roaches might be entering - where the drains enter the floors, along the cracks by your mop boards, etc., etc. And be prepared to sweep away the bodies.

One landlady used to hire an exterminator, and the the basement and lower floor were still getting those big bozo type roaches that can eat mice for lunch. I got disgusted with them going into my first floor and went into the basement with a box of boric acid crystals and poured it under her washer, into the boiler room, and around when she hoarded her junk from renovations. About a week later she remarked to me what an incredible amount of "sewer roaches" the exterminator had killed.

I let her in on the secret, and the exterminator was out of a job.

Try it. I have never had it fail to solve the problem....but do not be stingy with it.
Thank you, I have heard good things about boric acid , was wonder how dangerous it would be for the baby but I suppose it should be ok if it’s placed in out of reach places .

Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thank you, I have heard good things about boric acid , was wonder how dangerous it would be for the baby but I suppose it should be ok if it’s placed in out of reach places .
You have to watch a baby every minute he's awake anyway. Keep him restricted to areas away from where you place the boric acid until the problem is solved.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have to watch a baby every minute he's awake anyway. Keep him restricted to areas away from where you place the boric acid until the problem is solved.
Yes, for sure.

Have you ever used diatomaceous earth ? I've heard that can work too, seems a bit safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House