Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
This has happened to me twice. The smoke detector is very near to the kitchen and is a pain to shut off once it starts. The oven is supposedly self cleaning, so if I try to clean it will the smoke detector start up again? How can I prevent this? Just moved into this house, so not used to this gas stove. TIA
If the smoke detector is battery, temporarily remove the battery when cleaning the oven. If the detector is AC, flip its breaker off for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Never disconnect, it's too easy to forget to put battery back in the devise.

Ya know, a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ah; ignorance is bliss.
And a tad scarey sometimes.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Never heard of that. The 50 year old gas stove never "needed the lines blown out". Not even sure how you would do that without risking serious property damage or personnel hazard.
Good to know mine could last a little longer then. Something about the lighting sequence. The guy did mention this possibly happening when he was here for something with the ignitor. Sure enough....

Happened twice actually. Thought the first time was a fluke. After that I didn't annoy it further.

Forget the brand name. But dedicated old school repair people are in awe of this make and approach it with reverence and ask "may I open the door?". I kid you not. I say sure. Even when they're here for the fridge or washer. They see the oven and have to check it out.

They look around in the oven. (It's a wall oven). When it lit without exploding the door out they would light it and time the ignitor and check the flame. They'd have checked how long to heat to whatever temperature if I wasn't paying for the gas.

I still see one of those guys in the grocery store sometimes. He was really into appliance rules and regulations. He could quote the numbers of an appliance and regulations and went to all the appliance company conferences. He's retired now but he still asks how that oven is doing.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Do NOT put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven!!
By golly your right! Place it at the inner lowest level. Putting it at the bottom under the oven is a silly idea

And anyone who uses chemicals when a simple pumice and sprayed water with elbow grease is wasting $.
Op- glad you got it to clean. Now just do as I suguest and try it when the oven cools.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:39 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I have no idea what you are talking about putting it under the oven.......

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-its-...y-alternative/

Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Have a friend that wanted to keep her new oven clean so put aluminum on the floor of it.
Still has pieces of it stuck there.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:35 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about putting it under the oven.......

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-its-...y-alternative/
Not on the bottom or the racks. I have foil stuck to both in my oven from my hub doing this. I see your link says don't even use foil to cover dishes. I'm not big on foil. It's a resource I feel people waste. I was watching outdaughtered last night, the father was using foil on a dish, he used close to a foot more then he needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Good to know mine could last a little longer then. Something about the lighting sequence. The guy did mention this possibly happening when he was here for something with the ignitor. Sure enough....

Happened twice actually. Thought the first time was a fluke. After that I didn't annoy it further.

Forget the brand name. But dedicated old school repair people are in awe of this make and approach it with reverence and ask "may I open the door?". I kid you not. I say sure. Even when they're here for the fridge or washer. They see the oven and have to check it out.

They look around in the oven. (It's a wall oven). When it lit without exploding the door out they would light it and time the ignitor and check the flame. They'd have checked how long to heat to whatever temperature if I wasn't paying for the gas.

I still see one of those guys in the grocery store sometimes. He was really into appliance rules and regulations. He could quote the numbers of an appliance and regulations and went to all the appliance company conferences. He's retired now but he still asks how that oven is doing.
Sounds like my parents oven from their house built in 69. We redid the kitchen in 2005, left the wall oven because there was nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not on the bottom or the racks. I have foil stuck to both in my oven from my hub doing this. I see your link says don't even use foil to cover dishes. I'm not big on foil. It's a resource I feel people waste. I was watching outdaughtered last night, the father was using foil on a dish, he used close to a foot more then he needed.

Sounds like my parents oven from their house built in 69. We redid the kitchen in 2005, left the wall oven because there was nothing wrong with it.
Exactly. When we got a new refrigerator and dishwasher and then replaced the counter top....we left that honored oven.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Exactly. When we got a new refrigerator and dishwasher and then replaced the counter top....we left that honored oven.
I wish I could remember the name of the oven but it was in great shape. I swear I can see the oven but not the brand. Now I'll wonder if I have a pic taken in the kitchen to see it! lol House was built 1967 not 1969 lol

Maybe it was Caloric, the logo looks familiar

5 Extinct Appliance Brands That Died Too Soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House