Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:57 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times

Advertisements

Our 22 year old Amana side-by-side is crapping out. So we come to find we have plenty of width but we need/want counter-depth because apparently people enjoy having 36" refrigerators sticking out halfway into their kitchens. We have the space for a larger unit but the sight of it just jutting out a good 10-15" past the counter looks dumb and out of place.

So pay for the look I guess, but my main reason for this post is to question fridge size. The Amana we have is I believe a 20cu ft. unit that we hate because of the narrowness. But the unit I am looking at is 17.5cu ft. (labelled 18). We looked at it in the store and it looks like it would be perfectly fine. We have a second fridge in the basement that we use and we don't hoard a lot of food in our unit currently (it's not stuffed to the brim). However to upgrade to the larger unit with 22.5cu ft. we would need to cash out an additional $1,200. Seems insane that the brand we are partial to has such a large gap in pricing on the units but I don't think it's justifiable to pay the additional premium for the extra space. We are a family of 4, so do you think 17.5 is accommodating or fools errand and pay the $$$ for bigger. That's $240 per cubic foot to go larger.

I should also note that the new units are French door style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Are you seriously telling me that you are contemplating a fridge where $1200 is the "upcharge" for the fancier variety? I doubt I've paid more than $750 for a refrigerator.

Anyway, the side by side configuration stinks. Get a top freezer or bottom freezer unit.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Are you seriously telling me that you are contemplating a fridge where $1200 is the "upcharge" for the fancier variety? I doubt I've paid more than $750 for a refrigerator.

Anyway, the side by side configuration stinks. Get a top freezer or bottom freezer unit.
Well the new fridge is technically a downsize by just a bit, but I don't think the additional $ for the size is worth it. Basically confirming I'm not nuts and paying such a premium for a few feet is ludicrous and my second fridge is more than adequate.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I wouldn't pay $1,200 for the larger size, especially since you have a second refrigerator.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't pay $1,200 for the larger size, especially since you have a second refrigerator.
If I was in the market for the more feature rich (second drawer, hub, etc.) I'd consider it but given we are not redoing our kitchen and we just need a new working fridge this will fit the bill. Thanks for containing my sanity.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:

The OP said that it was a French door fridge. French door and side-by-side are two different things.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:

I'd agree to some point but if you have smaller kitchen the counter depth can be quite nice. Combine that with bottom freezer and french doors on the top and it works pretty well. Here is my parents kitchen. There is not a whole lot of counter space, the spot on the right I cut out bottom shelf for higher refrigerator. With the counter depth they have room for chopping block in the middle. There is just enough space for the fridge and the oven on the other side.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Space is not an issue for us, that wall just has the double oven and a small countertop and a fridge sticking out 10-12" from the edge of the cabinets looks terrible and disrupts flow. I actually looked at a pic of the home when we were house hunting years ago and the fridge we have now is there sitting way far out for no reason because it's counter depth.

Side note, checkout eBay for coupons at some stores. I got a 10% for Lowes to use this afternoon for the purchase.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Some bears are smarter than others.
Remember, the ratio of fridge vs freezer access is at least 10:1.
Just one minor problem: no one makes a 36-inch wide, counter-depth, bottom freezer that costs less than $5K.

My recommendation would be: LG LFCC22426S
36 Inch Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator

Old 01-29-2019, 11:24 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I know I am probably the only one who thinks like this..... but I think stylish refrigerators or those with other-than-normal dimensions are a rip-off, aimed at getting any extra money that HGTV addicts might have or be able to borrow. Personally I decided on a cheap Kenmore freezer-on-top model four years ago, for $800 delivered and installed. It does have an ice maker inside the freezer but otherwise is as low tech as you can get. It is on sale for $629 right now, with free delivery. I had the same model at my previous house for 10 years but left it for the buyers when I moved. It worked like a champ for over a decade and never needed any repairs so that is why I bought the same model this time.

When I read on forums about all the repairs that people have to get on their refrigerators, and how refrigerators just don't last like they used to, I just grin. My cheap-o refrigerator has needed zero repairs and just keeps on working. It does what it's supposed to do, keep food cold, and doesn't do anything else. OK, it's a little noisy and I suppose it sticks out into the kitchen a little but so what; I am used to it and don't even notice it. I'm not in a home decorating contest; I am in my own private HOME where I live and enjoy a wonderful life, so what matters to me is that it works.

EDIT to add: on reviewing the thread, it looks like turf3 agrees with me:
Quote:

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 01-29-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House