Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times

Advertisements

I'll have to add these up.

Birth house.
Parents moved to SC, so that's house #2.
We came back and lived with my grandparents awhile - #3.
Cheyenne Lane house - #4
Blarney Rd. house - #5
Jackson Hollow house - #6
House I "grew up in" - #7 - I was 11/12 when we moved in here. Parents still live there.
College dorm - #8 - still came back home a lot.
Lived with an ex out of state for awhile - #9
Moved from TN to IA - #10
Moved from TN to IN - #11
Current condo - #12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:03 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,204,053 times
29 homes my hubby was in the Air Force we moved a lot. I am 62 We also lived in Spain, Germany and England. My father also liked to move. Until I married my husband we lived in 7 homes before I turned 18.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,735,379 times
I'm 49. I was in one apartment as a baby, then my parents and I moved to another apartment in a different state. Then a house for 4 years. Then another house where they still are. So, 4 as a kid.

College - 2 different dorm rooms, but I'll count that as one. Then an apartment for 2 years. So 2 in college.
Law School: 2 apartments.

Working Life: 3 apartments, 1 rental townhouse, 3 houses.

So, a total of 15.

For a while, it seemed like I was moving every couple years. It was nice when we landed in one place and were there 13 years. We thought we'd be there forever, but stuff happened. My guess is we'll have one more move at some point, after the kids are out of the house and our current house (with lots of stairs) is more than we need. But that most likely wouldn't be for a while.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,295,343 times
-NY state-up to age 8 (House-family owned it.)
-MA-a bunch of motels for about 6 months or so until we found a house.
-MA-About 2 years. (House)
-CT-About a month. (House)
-CT-About a year. (2 family house)
-CT-About 2 years. (House)
-VA-About a month. (Apartment)
-MD-About 6 months. (House)
-OK-About a year. (Duplex)
-NY state-About 2 years. (Apartment)
-NY state-About a year. (House which my mother owned for about 32 years or so.)
-TX-A few months (Dorm)
-TX-6 months (Apartment)
-TX-About 6 years (Apartment)
-TX-About a year (First house I owned.)
-Greece-About 9 months (Dorm)
-VT-About 2 years (House)
-VT-About 6 years (Apartment)
-VT-About 16 years (House-Owned)
-VT-About 5 years and counting. (House-Owe)

I went to 11 different schools before graduating high school and 5 different colleges before getting my B.A. (but did go to only one grad school.) And the dorms I lived in were with the Air Force-not college.

Cat

Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Houses I think 7. Homes, about 18. that is counting renting a room on a sailboat, a condo, some apartments, and a town home. It is not counting the three weeks I had to live in a tent.

Most of them were in a three year period when we first moved to California. We moved around a lot. typically every six months to a year. A couple of times we were only in a place for about three months. Since 1991 we have only lived in four homes - all were houses. each one was consecutively longer, except a temporary rental while we moved and restored our current house.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,084,417 times
From birth to 18: 3 homes (CT, OH, FL)
College: 1 home (GA, counting the different dorms/on-campus apartments as 1 home)
College to now (31): 6 homes (FL, IA, IL, 2 places in TN, NC)

So, currently at 10 and have no plans on stopping the movement. Too many unique places to live in this country, let alone the rest of the world. I hate the packing but love the end result of being in a new city.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,228,624 times
I lived in 3 different homes until 18. Since then, I've lived in 24. Had a friend in the Air Force, we were trying to start a band, lived in Biloxi, Mississippi for a short while, he transferred to Del Rio, Texas, lived there for a short while. Moved back to Kent, Washington, lived with my girl friends parents for a short time, met my future wife in Coquille, Oregon. Moved to Burien, Washington, then Maple Valley, Washington, Moved to Renton, Washington, Moved to Idaho, lived in the Pan Handle in several places, moved to Twin Falls, Idaho, lived in an Apartment there. Moved to Bremerton, Washington, then Port Orchard, Washington. Got a job with the State of Oregon, moved to Oakridge, Oregon, moved to Leaburg, Oregon, Klamath Falls, Oregon, Shady Cove, Oregon, back to Leaburg, Oregon, Nehalem, Oregon, back to Leaburg Oregon, retired to Oakridge, Oregon our final resting place.
I think I missed a few places. I forgot about living in a tent for a few weeks at Round Lake park in Idaho.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM

1,299 posts, read 825,112 times
My Dad was Air Force (Canadian), but because of the line of work he did, we didn't move much before he retired - once on base to a bigger house when the younger kids were born, and once to a new base. So only 3 houses during that period until I was 15.

Age 0-18 - 3 base houses, 1 rental house, 1 parents-owned house
18-25 (single years) - 10 rentals
25-present (with my now husband) - 1 rental, 1 owned condo, 2 owned houses.

20 in total. It seems that most of the people who have posted in this thread are way over the 11 average. Perhaps because the title attracted those who have moved a lot?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
38 and on my second house. I'll probably be there until I retire and leave Illinois.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
11 times for me in my lifetime.

Five times since I’ve been married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House