Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times

Advertisements

Anyone pushing a brand that is better or has any claims that ones is better stay away from.

Look for the folks that can make any machine work

they all pass the same standards and some better than others....I think you'll find the one everyone seems to dislike the most in here as the one having the best warranty and one of the better performances from ARI.

AHRI Directory Terms & Conditions
Find model numbers and compare performance of the ones you were quoted on.

make sure the companies include labor warranties along with service agreement where if anything goes wrong it will be covered without any out of pocket expenses....make sure you say that specifically.

The best HVAC tech can install the so called "worst" equipment and make it perform well......the worst hack can install the so called "best" equipment and make it fail.

If you truly don't want to worry about if the systems is designed correctly and will perform correctly you need to find a contractor that goes by ACCA standards and does not jip you on a professional install....after all... all of the HVAC co's I know charge over $100/hr.....why not get one that actually knows the physics of it and follows the standards.

Manual J Residential Load Calculation (8th Edition - Full)
Manual D - Residential Duct Systems
Manual S - Residential Equipment Selection

You might pay more for you to know it's done correctly. However you have no idea what it will cost you when it's done incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
History of the Industry Brands

History of industry brands for anyone interested in who owns who.
Thanks BigJon... you almost need a scorecard to keep track of all the mergers and acquisitions...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
I am an HVAC tech. Your best unit out there is a Carrier. However, there is no difference whatsoever between Bryant and Carrier other than the label. The basic 80%, 90%, Heat pumps and condensing units from Carrier and Bryant are the same as Payne. That is the best family of heating and cooling machines out there.

Generally, Kennmore uses mostly Tempstar to make their units, and they are ok. They are not superior, but they are ok. Rheem and Ruud are also identical. I am not a huge fan of them, but they are also ok. (When I see a Rheem I think I will scream!)

Goodman and Amana are inexpensive. The quality control is not there. They are ten year units. Ducane is owned by Lennox, but it is also a 10 year unit, not available everywhere. Lennox is not much better than Ducane. They used to make a solid furnace years ago, but their products are inferior for the price. Just an FYI- A Carrier control board for a furnace is well over $150, contractor cost. A similar furnace by lennox has a board that cost $39.95, my cost. What does that tell you? No wonder why I replaced so many of them.

Trane and American Standard are identical also. They are good and reliable. Just beware, their repair parts are usually much more expensive.

York is an expensive name and generally is identical to and manufactured by the same people that make Luxaire, a more inexpensive model. They are good units, but I wouldn't pay the extra cash for the York name. They do the job, more reliable than Lennox/Ducane in my opinion.

Just a comment on an earlier post... a water overflow can happen to any machine. It has nothing to do with the brand at all. It has everything to do with a clogged condensate drain. That is a maintenance issue and nothing more. There are drain lines on an a/c coil and they do frequently clog.

Hope this helps!
Well, by what you stated here and this is your field of 'expertise' I will be going with the Bryant instead of the Goodman. I was told by my contractor that the Bryant is only $100.00 more , otherwise very close to same unit as the Goodman.. You are stating otherwise, good..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
You should ask them (Mikieo415) what brand they sell. Also ask which has the longest warranty and if the contractor you use has labor warranties or just parts. Free parts are cool when something breaks but $100-$120/hr is still usually a shock to most people when the contractor is done.

Goodman has one of the highest quality factories around. A quality just isn't there comment sounds more like a biased outlook to me. No one that works on them very often needs to put any other brands down or claim they're of poor quality. It's not like 30 years ago when that was true. Mfg techniques on all brands have greatly improved and after that it's all about the install.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,431 times
I had a Trane XE 1200 unit for a 95% burn vistim in my home. It worked several years and quit.. all aluminum tubes corrodid.. unlike better copper.. i have to buy a new system.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
I believe Lennox still makes their own products in the US. I know they still manufacture here. Parts: I'm not so sure. We have been very pleased with our furnace/AC replacement for 5 years now.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 27,286 times
ARe you guys talking about the ones that are installed in windows? Or are these central air conditioning units the ones that are installed with a control panel and such?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,182 times
Caff, central a/c units are ones that are ducted for the whole house and have a wall control panel. These are the units we're talking about.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 10,414 times
Yes I interested about your brand I watch your link.
how can I purchase this brands easily.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallas View Post
Yes I interested about your brand I watch your link.
how can I purchase this brands easily.
Furnace Replacement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House