Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times

Advertisements

Is it OK to use one of those winged outlet boxes on regular siding? I bought an outdoor outlet kit with the in-use cover, and it sticks out like 8" from the wall. I'd prefer to have the electrical box in the wall and cover out, but I don't want to cut a big hole to attempt a stud mount. In addition to the in-use cover, I'll caulk around whatever I install.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:44 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Yes; electricians do it all the time.
It's much easier to use an "old work j-box" on lap siding because you don't want to mount the box and end up with the lap running right thru the middle! Makes mounting a fixture quite difficult!

The "better" box for that is the box that has the metal "spring out" wings, not the plastic ones that "turn out" with a screw.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:19 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
I would use a die cast aluminum exterior box and neatly cut out the siding so the bad mounts directly to the sheathing. The projection would be minimum and those exterior boxes hold up well to the elements and look better than PVC boxes IMO.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Is it OK to use one of those winged outlet boxes on regular siding? I bought an outdoor outlet kit with the in-use cover, and it sticks out like 8" from the wall. I'd prefer to have the electrical box in the wall and cover out, but I don't want to cut a big hole to attempt a stud mount. In addition to the in-use cover, I'll caulk around whatever I install.

Thanks.
Is this a new install or are you trying to bring a existing box out flush to the siding? If you’re just trying to bring a existing box put just use a outdoor rated extension ring and put the weatherproof cover over the extension. I use those oscillator tool to cut the hole big enough so it al fits in flush. Then I just caulk around the extension box lip where it is flush to the siding.

If it’s a new install are the wires coming in from inside the house?

Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,472 times
Why not a box cover/ring? I've replaced the old style individual metal flip ones with this plastic version that has a rubber accordion to fit a plug and still close around it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House