Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Ack, are you saying going by the engineer's quote I put upthread, that the wood footing is smaller than usual width of concrete footers?
Yes, significantly smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Wood foundation with earth against it sounds totally bizarre and can’t imagine the area where building codes allow this. It’s almost an industry standard and common code requirement in many states that any wood has to be a minimum of 12 inches above any soil.

Basically this particular house has a bio-degradable foundation.
The OP is obviously not reporting this from Mexico, where everything is built out of concrete.

Our lobbying lumber companies lobby on a state, county, city level, and if they had their way, we'd even have wood planks streets, wooden sidewalks, wooden cars, wooden airplanes. Yup! Go ahead and tear down another forest!

And when there's a fire, like the entire town of Palisade, CA, last year, they laugh all the way to the bank.

Yes, I've heard of treated wood foundations back in MN, and treated wood basements, but I don't know how well they hold up as there's no termite issues in MN.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:43 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, significantly smaller.

WTH.

Argh. This just bites.

They #playedthemselves. Big time.

Why the heck didn't the structural guy say so. Must be the standard when using wood? I mean, the place had to pass inspection when first built...on my renos I always trembled when inspectors came at each stage, fearing issues that'd cause a stop-work order, they were always strict...wth happened here!

I have no experience with NEW (house) construction but am guessing the city inspectors must inspect foundations? They did when I added a room addition to an existing structure, checked footers.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 09-27-2019 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes, I've heard of treated wood foundations back in MN, and treated wood basements, but I don't know how well they hold up as there's no termite issues in MN.
Ya, one of the articles I was able to find on them was from MN. Maybe more common further north? ALL the ones I found (articles, forum posts, blog posts I found several of each) were on BASEMENTS. All.

I don't think termites are a big concern here in NE Indiana; but still. OBVI based upon this case, soil/ground/grading conditions matter (as they do with any build) and the ground on this particular plot of land wasn't conducive to this type of foundation or wasn't properly mitigated.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:19 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,692 times
Quote:
Ya, one of the articles I was able to find on them was from MN. Maybe more common further north? ALL the ones I found (articles, forum posts, blog posts I found several of each) were on BASEMENTS. All.

I don't think termites are a big concern here in NE Indiana; but still. OBVI based upon this case, soil/ground/grading conditions matter (as they do with any build) and the ground on this particular plot of land wasn't conducive to this type of foundation or wasn't properly mitigated.
We had a home on a block wall basement in Indiana for 26 years, so the sill and above was a good distance from soil. The good news is I never had a termite infestation. The bad news is carpenter ants all but destroyed our wood clad chimney, not evident on the cedar siding but they ate a huge chunk of framing underneath that we discovered by happy accident. FWIW

Here's one Indiana source, I would think the incidence would be higher with a wood on dirt foundation.
Quote:
Approximately one home in 30 are infested by termites annually, and these infestations can go unnoticed for three to eight years or more.
https://www.indianafoundation.com/termite-damage/

Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We had a home on a block wall basement in Indiana for 26 years, so the sill and above was a good distance from soil. The good news is I never had a termite infestation. The bad news is carpenter ants all but destroyed our wood clad chimney, not evident on the cedar siding but they ate a huge chunk of framing underneath that we discovered by happy accident. FWIW

Here's one Indiana source, I would think the incidence would be higher with a wood on dirt foundation.
https://www.indianafoundation.com/termite-damage/
Ergh I stand corrected. Having lived in FL and NC where termites are really a big thing I thought IN was more akin to NY, and no bigs termite wise. A RE agent actually told me that recently (convo wasn't in reference to the kids' house) This just keeps getting better...

I've had carpenter ants in VA and gutted a 1930s house in NC with old termite and post beetle damage but no termite experience.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:50 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
RIGHT? And when I said "did the inspector notice this OBVIOUS SLOPE??" the boyfriend sheepishly said..."yeah...the ball rolled...but he said it's prob nothing to worry about"

But my question is this:
forget the inspector. The structural guy said (paraphrasing) that this is happening simply because of the type of foundation (wood) and found no damage/issues with the foundation itself's integrity, and advised them this would either worsen/improve each year depending on weather/wetness.

So my q is more, if the foundation is stable, and was properly done, how is it this ^^^^ (what he said) the case? Doesn't the damage indicate a problem with the foundation's integrity? Of course the structural guy had no reason to mislead, he doesn't even do repairs and recommended none, but I just cannot fathom this.

#skepticalandconfused
The real reason is no (honest) professional wants to be involved with this foundation/situation!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Interesting article in favor of these foundations; who knows, the house has been standing since 1990 maybe it isn't such a terrible idea. (Although I personally wouldn't even consider putting up a shed this way)
https://www.nordichomeinspection.com...ing-to-happen/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House