Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,786,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This whirlpool bottom freezer might fit. Has an optional ice maker that you can order and have installed.

width: 30
height: 65.5

This is what I just got. It has adjustable shelves...1 is a split adjustable.
I got it when it was on sale..under $1000.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...WFBW/205084779
I have the Amana version of this and love it. Yes, ice maker can be added . . . the connections are already there inside the freezer, just need the apparatus installed. I don't use ice so didn't bother but the option was offered to me. I got mine at RCWilley but they are available at many stores.

I replaced my identical sixteen year old Amana with this one - I liked it so much that I had to have another just like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Manufacturers that offer fridges in "counter depth" configurations are always taller than regular fridges to maintain the average cubic footage.

So, not exactly helping the op.
Um, no. Our new counter depth fridge is exactly the height of the old one we replaced which was not counter depth. We lost cubic footage, especially in the freezer space. However, our opening is larger than OP’s opening. We had no trouble finding a fridge to fit.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Um, no. Our new counter depth fridge is exactly the height of the old one we replaced which was not counter depth. We lost cubic footage, especially in the freezer space. However, our opening is larger than OP’s opening. We had no trouble finding a fridge to fit.
So you just agreed that to keep the same interior volume and make it shallower you've got to go either wider or taller. Yep, width X depth X height - funny how that works.

Whoever it was that suggested the solution for a space that's too short and narrow for the person who wants a bigger fridge - was to get one that's shallower too, obviously missed that day in elementary school math class.

OP, just cut the bottoms of the cabinets above the space, so you're not locked into some exotic fridge size. Fridges are just getting bigger and bigger anyway. Down the road when your exotic one that just fits into the space and took you weeks to find craps out, it'll be even harder to find a replacement. You want to be able to go down to the local appliance dealer and have a selection on the floor right then that you can pay for and have delivered the next day, not some unicorn refrigerator.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I have the Amana version of this and love it. Yes, ice maker can be added . . . the connections are already there inside the freezer, just need the apparatus installed. I don't use ice so didn't bother but the option was offered to me. I got mine at RCWilley but they are available at many stores.

I replaced my identical sixteen year old Amana with this one - I liked it so much that I had to have another just like it.
I had the LG version of this also with optional ice maker. I loved it but, sadly, sold it with my last home as I was making a long distance move and putting stuff into storage for a while and downsized as much as I could.
I was so happy to have found this whirlpool which is just like my old LG version.

I also don't use ice so it was nice to be able to get a full use freezer. I'll just use ice cube trays should the need arise for ice.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
The neighbor can't use the cabinets anymore and had to cover it with stuff on top the fridge in front of the cabinets. And repair guy told me it is very difficult to cut these cabinets. And I can not bend over that low as to the ground where the vegetable bin and the shelving too for the 1950's fridge.

I don't appreciate your responses K'ledge. I am not shooting things down. I can't seem to post anything without a smart aleck remark from you. No a/c still and now fridge problems
I have even gone to a specialty appliance store and they want close to $2,000 for a size that would fit in
A "repair guy" isn't a carpenter or cabinet installer. As for bending over, any fridge is going to have shelves or bins on the bottom.

The reality is that you are going to have to either give up features, spend more money, or pay to get the space reconfigured. Or some combination of these factors.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:48 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Thanks, but I really don't want to go back to the 1950's. Then again, I looked at those today and the vegetable drawer is not very big and it has no ice maker.
OP, what a rude post in response to someone who was TRYING to be helpful.

Oh, so the veggie bin is too small, and you don't want to take 30 seconds a day to make ice cubes using, you know, ice trays. OK.

Quote:
So like your a/c, no matter what suggestions you get you'll find something to shoot it down. If you're not willing to modify the space for a larger fridge- it is what it is!

Every fridge that has a freezer will make ice- you just have to fill the trays.
^^^ Exactly. I fill my trays every couple of days and again, it literally takes less than a minute to ensure that my ice cube bin in the freezer is always full. (And BTW, I HAVE an ice maker hook-up -- just haven't connected it yet, as I don't find 1 minute of my time every couple of days to be an issue.)

OP, if your available space is not the "norm" right now, you need to either modify your space OR spend big bucks on something that will fit (and in the scheme of things, $2,000 for a new refrigerator is NOT a huge amount of money). Your choice.

But I guess it's easier to just shoot responses down instead ...

Old 10-01-2019, 01:27 PM

841 posts, read 554,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post

I've got one of these as well. It was a hand me down and it does have the ice maker kit installed.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:40 PM

220 posts, read 134,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh, so the veggie bin is too small, and you don't want to take 30 seconds a day to make ice cubes using, you know, ice trays. OK. OP, if your available space is not the "norm" right now, you need to either modify your space OR spend big bucks on something that will fit (and in the scheme of things, $2,000 for a new refrigerator is NOT a huge amount of money). Your choice.

For your information, I have been making my own ice for a long time since I am unable to change the filter that is on the bottom of the fridge. But the water spills every time on the way to there and when I put in the trays. I don't wish to spend $2000 on a fridge when I just put in new tile throughout not long ago, and not by choice.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This whirlpool bottom freezer might fit. Has an optional ice maker that you can order and have installed.

width: 30
height: 65.5

This is what I just got. It has adjustable shelves...1 is a split adjustable.
I got it when it was on sale..under $1000.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...WFBW/205084779

This fridge here, the freezer opens like the fridge. I bought the one which opens like a drawer. I appreciate your info. Thanks ago.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
So like your a/c, no matter what suggestions you get you'll find something to shoot it down. If you're not willing to modify the space for a larger fridge- it is what it is!

Every fridge that has a freezer will make ice- you just have to fill the trays.

No, you misunderstood. I don't shoot things down. The a/c problem is now solved. I found a guy to fix it for half the price I was quoted for ($1000).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House