Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 01:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times

Advertisements

I am due to replace my LG fridge water filter and I was thinking to invest a little more and possibly try to get a reverse osmosis water filter. Not sure, if there is a replacement filter as such for LG. Having kids in the house we use the water from the refrigerator for drinking purposes. I just want to make sure the fridge filter is up to the par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 04:20 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Do you have a reverse Osmosis ? If not then just use a LG water filter.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
You’d need to install a RO filter in line with the fridge water supply and then plug the fridge filter.

There is no RO fridge filter available. They are much larger and use water to flush the membrane so aren’t a simple one-way filter.

In a prior home I had the water line for the fridge run under the sink and had a RO system feed both a drinking water tap and the fridge. Depending on your layout and access this may work for you.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:00 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

In a prior home I had the water line for the fridge run under the sink and had a RO system feed both a drinking water tap and the fridge. Depending on your layout and access this may work for you.
That's the way to do it....!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Yes but this only works if you have the fridge next to your sink. But most new homes now have sink on an island.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I am due to replace my LG fridge water filter and I was thinking to invest a little more and possibly try to get a reverse osmosis water filter. Not sure, if there is a replacement filter as such for LG. Having kids in the house we use the water from the refrigerator for drinking purposes. I just want to make sure the fridge filter is up to the par.

What makes you think your drinking water isn't "up to the par"? What are you trying to filter out of it?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Yes but this only works if you have the fridge next to your sink. But most new homes now have sink on an island.
In my previous home the fridge wasn't next to the sink (and the sink was in an island) but it was planned as part of the build; water pressure out of the RO system was enough to feed the fridge 8 feet away.

In my current home my fridge is on the other side of the kitchen from the sink and there's an island in-between, and I have a finished basement so it wasn't worth the hassle. I instead did a water analysis (which didn't show anything nasty), put in a whole-house water filtration system at the water line into the home, put in a RO filter with separate tap at the kitchen sink for drinking water and a regular filter for my Samsung fridge. I might not get "everything" but it's certainly good enough.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
What makes you think your drinking water isn't "up to the par"? What are you trying to filter out of it?
Well my city water reports from last year in no violation from any type of contaminants. Even the pediatrician said it is safe to drink from tap and use it for kids as he is also a resident of this city. But I am just taking extra measures because recently there were cancerous carcinogens found in the water in other states. I feel the fridge filters don't filter on the microscopic level so was wondering if there is a better solution for fridge filtering.

But going completely RO system would require allot more. Then it comes down to, is it really worth it taking the extra measures? Considering my city water is already pretty safe to drink. Am I trying to overkill on this drinking water situation?

Old 10-28-2019, 02:46 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
You can re-test your own water if you need reassurance but otherwise just use the LG filter and don't worry about it.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:07 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Simple carbon filters are very effective at removing most of the carcinogenics. To help put things in perspective, water contaminants are generally measured in parts per million and parts per billion. In something like a cured hot dog, the nitrates would be more likely measured in parts per hundred or thousand. PFOAs are possibly linked to some cancers, but exposure can be from a variety of sources that are far more concentrated than drinking water.

Stay with a cheap filter replaced on schedule, and don't eat ski wax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House