Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,129 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I currently reside in El Mirage, Arizona and about a year ago, my tank water heater blew up and flooded the garage and adjacent rooms. To avoid this headache all together, I was considering going tankless especially with all the people I live with we ended up running out of hot water almost daily. I have a neighbor who is retired and used to work in a water heater manufacturing plant. I helped him build a shed back when I first moved in and he ended up getting me a new electric tankless water heater at a discount from where he worked and I paid $100 for it because he said he owed me for helping him and I thought it was quite generous. We followed the manufacturer's instructions and used the correct Romex and breakers for it.

We followed code and made sure all wiring was in a conduit if it was exposed, stapled all of it down in the attic (it came close to the attic entrance so we made sure we protected it with guard strips), and the wiring connecting to the water heater is also in a conduit. I talked to a local plumber I knew from the home improvement store before I installed it a year ago where I used to work at and he told me since it was electric and didn't need vented, I did not need a permit. I heard someone talking the other day about a permit in the plumbing section at Home Depot saying he needed to get a permit for one. I called two plumbing companies that day and they said I also needed one. I am freaking out a little because I did not know that.

Should I even bother getting one? Unless I sold the house (I don't plan to anytime soon), should I worry about it? I was researching the topic and someone mentioned that you should just pull one just in case and that they don't need to know it has already been installed and just act like it hasn't been yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 03:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfanatic24 View Post
I was considering going tankless ...Should I even bother getting one?
Nope.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfanatic24 View Post

Should I even bother getting one?
Depends... on the local regulations, gas availability at your house, your budget and personal needs.
I do have one and love it.

Lots of people don't want to invest in something long term, though. But the same is with solar panels. Lots of people love it, but it's not for everyone.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:06 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
My only concern would be that it was properly installed as opposed to filing for a permit, paying a fee and having a town inspector come out and just eyeball the unit!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
I wouldn't. It isn't as if you added on a master suite. I can't see it getting noticed.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Let's put it this way-

If you feel you did it correctly, I wouldn't bother at this point.
However, if you have any doubt and/or the house were to burn to the ground, and the summary of the report came back as "faulty wiring at tankless water heater" (meaning- the insurance company ain't paying!)- then yeah, get a permit.

Wait a week after acquiring the permit to call for the inspections- yes, multiple! There's the electrical inspection AND the plumbing inspection.

Good luck

Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,129 times
Yeah I’m not a huge fan of it so it’s probably not going to be a permanent thing. It wasn’t expensive to put in so it’s not like I’m taking a huge loss. I know I did the plumbing part correctly (I worked with my dad and he is a licensed journeyman plumber). As for the electrical, I made sure I followed code and that every connection point was secured and tight.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Gas tankless are fantastic, especially in warmer climates.

Electric are nightmares.

I put a Takagi mobus tankless in our house in California. Put it in myself in one day. Mounted to the outside wall of the back of the house and freed up a lot of important space inside. Our family of 7 (which includes 4 women who are heavy hot water users (loooong showers) never ran our of hot water. We could run two showers and the dishwasher or the laundry at once and be fine. Four itmes and we would start losing volume.

WE have a tankless in Michigan. It is a Rinnai. It had to be installed by a certified professional (who messed up the installation. I was going to put in two of them, but our plumber and the Rennai representative assured me one was more than enough (they were wrong). We can do two showers or one shower and one other item, but we start losing volume even with just two things. The reasons is the Rennai has less output, and the water has a longer way to go to get warm (it is colder water to begin with). Still love tankless, but we should have put in two in this climate, especially given our switch to Rennai (which was a mistake - the plumber talked us into it). Rennai is ok, but way more expensive and lower output, plus it requires certified expensive botched installation. You cannot DIY.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Why are we interested in going tankless?

Our water heater is the only appliance in the summer that runs on gas (add central heat in the winter). A Rheem 50 gallon unit from 2011 + pilot light for the 25 y/o furnace runs $25-30/month. You can't really get much lower than that before you bottom out at the gas company's base monthly service charge.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Why are we interested in going tankless?

Our water heater is the only appliance in the summer that runs on gas (add central heat in the winter). A Rheem 50 gallon unit from 2011 + pilot light for the 25 y/o furnace runs $25-30/month. You can't really get much lower than that before you bottom out at the gas company's base monthly service charge.

Did you read the OP's original post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House