Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

At some point, for heating when it's really really cold, you need to set something on FIRE.

Oil
Gas
Coal
Wood

Or, you can subcontract the electric untility to do it for you, but as noted heat pumps don't deliver a lot of heat at low outdoor temps unless you have a ground loop heat exchanger, and electric resistance heat is $$$$$.

Unfortunately the market release of "Mr. Fusion Home Energy Source" has, I'm told, been delayed yet AGAIN (GRRRRRR...)

Someone else has also pointed out - when the thing goes t!ts up on the coldest day of the year, do you really want to be limited to the two shops in the Tri-State area that know how to work on your exotic unicorn system? Or would you rather be able to call "Billy Joe Jim Bob's Cut Rate 24 Hour HVAC Service (Our motto: We're usually sober when we show up, unless we aren't)" where you can get the job done chop chop for a rational fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
At some point, for heating when it's really really cold, you need to set something on FIRE.

Oil
Gas
Coal
Wood

Or, you can subcontract the electric untility to do it for you, but as noted heat pumps don't deliver a lot of heat at low outdoor temps unless you have a ground loop heat exchanger, and electric resistance heat is $$$$$.

Unfortunately the market release of "Mr. Fusion Home Energy Source" has, I'm told, been delayed yet AGAIN (GRRRRRR...)

Someone else has also pointed out - when the thing goes t!ts up on the coldest day of the year, do you really want to be limited to the two shops in the Tri-State area that know how to work on your exotic unicorn system? Or would you rather be able to call "Billy Joe Jim Bob's Cut Rate 24 Hour HVAC Service (Our motto: We're usually sober when we show up, unless we aren't)" where you can get the job done chop chop for a rational fee?
I understand where your comments are coming from, but my experience with ductless heat pumps has been quite different.

Heat pumps made in the last 5 years are great at extracting heat from the air at low ambient temps. Their efficiency is still above resistance heat, though admittedly the efficiency gets close to 1:1 (energy in vs energy out) when you get around 0F. For my climate where we get two months of that each year, I found I was significantly better off on heat pumps all year round even with the more expensive few weeks where my heat pumps were more expensive per BTU than oil/propane at night temps. That's because the ratio gets near 1:3 for most of the heating season.

One other positive of mini split heat pumps is that you usually have multiple condensers and even more indoor units. So it's beyond unlikely that all would stop working at the same time. The only issue is a power outage, but my 7kw backup genny powers two of my three condensers plus my heat pump water heater, so my only issue would be an extended outage where even the propane trucks stop delivering (for my genny), which is extremely unlikely.

I like wood but don't like the studies that show correlation between shorter lifespans and wood as a heat source.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Maybe. I wouldn't use minisplit for heat where I live. I just check Fujitsu's web site for their current technology in ductless minisplite and it operates down to -15. For me that isn't good enough. And I don't think our older units operate down to that low of a temperature anyways.
From Fujitsu:
"The Extra Low Temperature Heating (XLTH) Series features outdoor condensing units engineered to operate in temperatures down to -15°F."

The lowest recorded temperature where I live is -30. To me ductless minisplits for heat are good if you live in a mild climate or the south. But if OP has someone suggesting the technology for where they live then they must have one that is suitable for their climate.

Earlier you mention radiant baseboards. They are in alot of Colorado homes because initially the homes didn't need AC. Now they are not so popular to put in because people want AC and once you've invested in ductwork you might as well do forced air furnace and AC.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM

430 posts, read 283,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sorry to derail if I'm taking this on a tangent, but something made me think of this question: What are your thoughts on leaving a natural gas furnace pilot light lit year round?

Central HVAC
Ducane furnace, installed ~1995
York A/C only outside unit, installed in same job
Not sure what your rates are for natural gas, but where I am it wouldn't make a lot of difference providing the system works and it will shut off if the flame goes out. I thought most standing pilots were gone by 1995, it is very rare that I ever encounter them on anything anymore.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:04 PM

313 posts, read 269,265 times
Thanks for good info. Our climate's too cold for a heat pump to work properly, even the new expensive one we installed in our last home. They run and run, blowing barely wamed air, mostly stuck in de-icing cycle. Dust, mice in ductwork etc....We use our woodstove most evenings and all weekend. No natural gas available, and are considering propane. Still undecided about off grid/solar or paying to bring electricity to the build site. We're putting a road in soon as our first step.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
In our area code requires a heater of some kind. We have not used ours in years. In our area homes with AC are rare. The Pacific Ocean is our AC. When it gets hot, and the house seems to stay hot even at night, we have a cool breeze blowing by. In our area many people get a whole house fan, open a window and pump the heat into the attic and back outside. Cools the house off fast.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
Not sure what your rates are for natural gas, but where I am it wouldn't make a lot of difference providing the system works and it will shut off if the flame goes out. I thought most standing pilots were gone by 1995, it is very rare that I ever encounter them on anything anymore.
Lots of older homes here and not a week goes by this time of year without some pilot light interaction... all those floor and wall furnaces pressed back into service after having the summer off... plus stoves and water heaters...

Even the new water heaters have pilots... no match needed as there is a piezoelectric igniter.

I've found in cold mountain climates a standing water heater pilot for a interior water heater is enough to keep the water warm even in the coldest cold... amazing the heat week after week in a cabin... many owners simply leave them on...

Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 PM

572 posts, read 326,000 times
Ductless mini split system is a better option as it has a dual function. You can use it as a heat pump in winters and as an air conditioner for cooling in the summer. You save a lot instead of having two different appliances for heating and cooling. DC inverter mini split systems are energy efficient too so you will be having a smaller electricity bill too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House