Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
I was hoping to hear from people who've lived off the power grid.

I messaged the moderator to move your thread to the Frugal Living Forum- perhaps you'll have more favorable responses there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
If we were setting up off grid these days, I would look into geothermal and have an underground system for air intake set up while we were having the septic and drainage system dug out.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...cooling/#close

Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You still aren't saying WHERE. Where you are or plan to be.

But the answer is still no.

It's a closely held secret. (Next door neighbor might be Dick Cheney?)

Old 11-17-2019, 02:34 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's a closely held secret. (Next door neighbor might be Dick Cheney?)
Well, that would just be a plus

Seriously though, we have an off grid house that we use on weekends for an escape. Unless you plan to spend a lot of $$ on the solar system it sounds as though you aren't willing to make the sacrifices necessary to do the 'off-grid lifestyle'.......

Old 11-17-2019, 03:04 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
This magazine was the bible. https://www.homepower.com/ Sadly, it went out of business last year. The changes in the publication over the years were astounding. For the archive to be free is a true "public service."

Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I wanted to mention that a wind turbine is REALLY noisy. I wouldn't want one. It's a really loud WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH whenever it's windy. It would drive me completely batty.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If we were setting up off grid these days, I would look into geothermal and have an underground system for air intake set up while we were having the septic and drainage system dug out.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...cooling/#close
Wow, National Geographic would not let me read the article unless I gave them my email address. Not. Normally, you can click an X and make that go away, but nope. Totally held me hostage.

Would have loved to read it, too.

I love the idea of having heating in floors. When I looked into those types of systems, though, what made me nervous was the idea of having to rip up the entire floor and move furniture, etc., if it malfunctioned.

But, they didn't seem to require a lot of power. Seemed really doable off-grid.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This magazine was the bible. https://www.homepower.com/ Sadly, it went out of business last year. The changes in the publication over the years were astounding. For the archive to be free is a true "public service."
Very cool! I learned a lot from Mother Earth News, too, over the years.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:33 PM

313 posts, read 269,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you're close enough to the grid to do a grid tied photovoltaic system, that's a no brainer as far as use goes.
Thank you. We're leaning this way.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:48 PM

313 posts, read 269,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, geez.

We lived off grid for 30 years (me for ten). When DH first built, the grid had not come to his "street" yet.
So he installed a mere 1K watt system back in the 80s.

Originally he had a propane fridge which IS a pain, but soon Energy-Star appliances came. We had a totally decent electric fridge and washing machine.

The latter we used when the sun was out. But we only do laundry once a week anyway. We had LED lights, big TV and stereo. We had a swamp-cooler for A/C and it worked fine (but it has to be a dry climate for that).

No dryer; hung our laundry out to dry. Power strips on everything which got turned off when not in use.

Had several golf-cart batteries for back-up, and we always had power when the grid went off in our community. This was outside Moab, UT where it's sunny most of the time.

Our system was old and outdated and one could do much better now.

Video games don't draw much current...we even had toasters and hair dryers, LOL.

Hardly "camping" and I've lived for years like THAT.
Thank you, this was very helpful. My kids get only 1-2 hours of internet or video game time daily. Otherwise they're outside working, instead of burning through electricity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House