Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 09:06 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you. It's a great idea. We're concerned about leaks using radiant in-floor heat. And don't want ductwork using an hvac. We plan on using ductless heat pumps and both wood and pellet stoves, no matter the electricity source. Considering just bringing electricity in at this point. Then adding turbines, solar panels etc later. It's not about cost. We have friends in California without power, it's crazy. Other friends in Napa are using Tesla wall chargers to power their homes.
My in-laws built a house high up in Estes Park CO and did the in-floor heating. At the time the builder was aware that the old style GoodYear plastic piping was involved in a class action lawsuit due to faulty composition- they would get brittle and break.

......and they wound up installing 1/2 of the system with the old stuff. It was shipped with the new and they didn't catch it. Fast forward 15 years and they had a bloody mess on their hands. And an expensive one.

I'm not a fan of engineering a product that would require such intensive work to repair or replace. I like the K.I.S.S. philosophy the best.

We have a Mitsubishi air source split heat pump and it works well until about 15 degrees. It's wasy to maintain and service and God forbid replace if necessary. We generally rely on a pellet stove to provide most of our heat, only using EBB for 'must use' situations.

Our grid tied 6-7KwH solar array has been up for a solid month now. Our kids are in college, it's just the wife and I and it looks like we're going to settle in with about 20-25KwH p/day of usage. We have a propane kitchen stove but other than that and the pellet stove- all electric.

We can live with that. Prior 2-3 years in November we'd use 1,800-2,500 KwH per month, depending on weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 03:31 PM

841 posts, read 553,857 times
Did you ever read Mike and Lisa's story? I think it started out as a thread on here somewhere, but they moved it to a blog format.

Mike and Lisa's World: Our Off Grid Story

Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
We're a family who always has something "on" or "running". Numerous appliances...We're not sure an off-grid/solar home can keep up with our electricity demand. I'd like to hear your stories and experiences living off grid, and if your set up supplies enough electricity for your family. We're factoring in a $30,000 cost to bring power to the build site. Thank you in advance, I look forward to your replies.
If you can get power to your house for 30,000....do it.

You will spend much, much more for an off-grid set-up.

We have a off-grid vacation home that we rent for $300/night. You should find one in your area and rent it for a few days. Talk to the owner. Ask to see the "solar" system and how it works. You will learn a lot.

BTW....solar generates very little power, wind is better in windy areas. Off-grid hydro, where it is legal, and feasible...does work.

Remember when most people talk about off-grid renewable homes, they are usually not disclosing that they run most of their energy needs with propane.

Even the electricity, in high demand households, is supplied by gas/propane/diesel powered generators particularly during winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House