Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:39 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Looking at a house and one room doesn't have any cable outlets in them. The house does have outlets in the other rooms. Is it possible to add one to this room? Who would do that-electrician or cable company? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 02:28 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I have DirecTV but assume it's the same as cable - you just call the company to have them add an outlet.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Eh, I don't let "tv service people" install things like outlets, because they take the shortcut routes, drill through floors, walls, just kind toss stuff where ever... not the person for a quality job. Electrician, yes. In some metro areas you'll get LV installers (low voltage) for lighting, alarms, phone, networking and TV... but someone who runs cable for their full-time gig is going to do the job better than someone who's paid by how many service calls they answer in a day.

OP, do you have a main distribution point in the home? Usually there's some info on the business who did the initial installation in that space, always a safe bet for getting a quote from. I ran network cable for years as part of my career, so I do all this stuff myself.. but experience and a couple specialty tools help, a lot.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I agree, those providers do the worse job possible installing things. Just learn to do it, or hire a non-affiliated pro to do it. I think even hiring a random person sitting in front of Home Depot would be better, lol.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
It needs to split where existing split is. Suppose you have hose and split it three ways, you'd have equal amount of volume in all three hoses. If you wanted add fourth hose you wouldn't split one of those hoses because the result is 2 hoses have half the volume of the the other two hoses. Same thing applies with cable.

First thing to do is go and look where the cable comes in the house. If your internet is over cable you may have two way splitter with one going to to your modem and the other going to another splitter that is used for cable TV. The one for the cable TV may be 3 way splitter 5 way etc.

If it has open connection on it your are in luck especially if it's open basement. You can buy the cable at big box store whatever length you need with the ends preinstalled. Adding wall outlet is little bit more difficult than simply drilling hole through the floor but not impossibly hard.

If no connection is available you can buy larger splitter BUT if the signal is already weak from existing splitter this can reduce the signal strength enough it won't work and may require signal amplifier.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Do you need cable in that room?

Will you have Internet? Maybe you could just stream TV on a smart tv?

Old 12-07-2019, 07:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I’ve hired a person on Thumbtack before to do this. Refuse to let the cable company do it and usually electricians charge too much.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:11 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Between those two options, an electrician.

But you are going to be spending WAY more money than you will get value (imo). In 1989, this was a no-brainer to do. In 2019, it's a no-brainer to not do (imo). Now if the walls weren't sheetrocked up and you could esaily drop conduit and run wires, then by all means drop coaxial into every room.

But to go to even moderate expense to add it to a room after the fact in this day and age seems crazy given the other solutions that almost certainly exist to solve the use cases. Just my .02.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Usually there’s a splitter somewhere in the house and you just need to tap into with a new cable run.

The most difficult portion of this work is usually snaking the wire to its desired location inside the wall.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hi everyone! Looking at a house and one room doesn't have any cable outlets in them. The house does have outlets in the other rooms. Is it possible to add one to this room? Who would do that-electrician or cable company? TIA
Not a pro but I've done this before. If you want to do it properly then hire a contractor or electrician who has a coax signal tester and full complement of tools for snaking and running wire or conduit.

While he is in there, have him run network cable which you can use for computers and smart TVs and gaming consoles

Last house i rented had it done by a cable guy who drilled a hole through the entire side of the house into the living room to run a coax drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House