Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,962,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Go with the best: Spectrum Home Security.
I've installed and used cameras in different capacities for over a decade. I've never heard of Spectrum. To say they're "The best" is very subjective. "The best" to me right now is Avigilon, but it isn't affordable for most homeowners.

If you just want HD, wired cameras for the house any POE/IP complete package in a box from Costco (or other retailers) that is a known brand is enough for most people.

Ring is overrated. Wyze cam is about $25 up front with zero future costs if you want a plugin camera that can go anywhere you have an outlet, and you'll receive notifications. It has a cover that's purchased seperately for outdoor placement.

Really, it all depends on what the OP wants in terms of how many cameras, permanently wired or movable, what kind of lense (fisheye or zoomed), etc. That's why I say the complete retail packages are best for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 07:50 PM

61,804 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would avoid any internet based cameras. Ring cameras have also been hacked. This video is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlIEQt_QFo
Yeah, I heard about that, BUT OP wants to observe his garage and outdoor surroundings at night. So, depending on the WiFi configuration this option isn't that bad.
If he wants notifications, then he wants WiFi. There are many brands/models on the market but still WiFi will be needed.
Ring get lately bad reputation because of the hacking incidents, but they aren't due to vulnerabilities in the firmware but how the devices have been set up.
So, remember to turn on two-factor authentication in your Ring settings.
Do not share your Ring footage on social networks incl. Amazon's Neighbors social network. Regularly change passwords and delete your Ring footage. Have a firewall installed on your home network.
And keep your firmware up to date because Amazon is working on security updates.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/h...-being-hacked/

Old 12-25-2019, 08:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
We have a Nest system and we're very pleased with it. And yes, we get notifications on our phone and the cameras track movements and people. I'm sure they also have security lighting though we don't personally have that. I mean, we have motion activated lights anyway so that's all we've needed.

You would need a wifi connection to do this.

We specifically bought a Nest system rather than a Ring system because the cameras are simply excellent - in both day time and night time.

Also, you can avoid being hacked by changing your password which I recommend people do often anyway.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:05 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,499,688 times
Firstly go with a wired system that supports POE cameras. Wireless cameras are a gimmick and you'll be up and down ladders changing batteries all the time... I'd also go with a 4K resolution camera. I have a ReoLink that has 4TB on the local server, supports defined alarm areas per camera and the ability to use the ReoLink app to see what's going on, from anywhere in the world. For the front door I'd get a Ring. I know and understand the security risks, seriously if anyone wants to see a picture of the street from my house, have at it! Ring is fantastic and the ability to screen visitors is great!

Old 12-26-2019, 10:52 AM

22,353 posts, read 29,470,487 times
The house we are looking into is already set up with Xfinity security. Anyone have that on here that can comment?

Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
After our bad experience with a large security company that operates by multi-year contracts, we will never sign up again. We've now purchased a Ring and plan on installing it once our contract is up with Guardian. There's a risk with anything computer-based and as was mentioned before, you'd be looking at the exterior of our street and our house. no cameras in rooms. And we don't share Ring info online, even with neighborhood watch sites.

We've been really burned with contract-based security companies with their exorbitant cancellation fees and monthly monitoring. We don't need that. We just want a decent system that we can set up ourselves and has an alarm.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:25 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,677,933 times
I guess it depends on whether your paranoia trumps your desire for privacy.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/0...rivacy-threats
I can't find the link where Amazon is going to use facial recognition on Ring...apparently they're having a software issue and are currently using Ukrainian workers to tag facial images manually.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:50 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,661,339 times
This looks like a good camera:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-s...SABEgKDK_D_BwE

This one too:
https://www.amazon.com/SUNBA-Optical...SIN=B071ZFHTZN

Buy a few of those, and a good networked NVR - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...37G/ref=sr_1_3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House