Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

No one I know who owns the average home with 200 amp electric service uses 200 amps every day all the time.

That is not how you figure loading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 08:55 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
And for you EV owners, FORGET about charging your electric car at Level 2. EV chargers rival central HVAC as the biggest single load on your home's electrical system.

I have a level 2 charger on my garage for my car and it is connected to a 40 amp breaker. The car doesn't draw very much at all. (3300watts, for about 2 hours) There's a reason it only adds about $10 a month to the electricity bill and it's charged every night.

Something like this is typical: https://store.clippercreek.com/resid...647.1578671253

it draws not much more than a water heater and way less than an electric furnace (even a Tesla draws less than half that of an electric furnace), and the typical 1st gen EV draws much less than that on Level 2.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I have a level 2 charger on my garage for my car and it is connected to a 40 amp breaker. The car doesn't draw very much at all. (3300watts, for about 2 hours) There's a reason it only adds about $10 a month to the electricity bill and it's charged every night.

Something like this is typical: https://store.clippercreek.com/resid...647.1578671253

it draws not much more than a water heater and way less than an electric furnace (even a Tesla draws less than half that of an electric furnace), and the typical 1st gen EV draws much less than that on Level 2.
There are laws of physics that are at work that can't be denied. For the average person it's just a matter of "goes inna and goes outa". If you use your Telsa a lot you buy a lot of electrons, that will reflect on your electric bill, just like using a lot of hot water.

Understanding wattage in relationship to charging - TJinTech

Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:

Yes - first one that comes to mind is the Chevy Volt and a few other early L2 models were limited to 3.3 kW charging on 240V. This is the “16 amp” L2. Kind of like L1 has the 8 and 12 amp options. There is a “30 amp” L2 that charges at 7.2 kW. If your car has the lesser, you should be good to go.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one I know who owns the average home with 200 amp electric service uses 200 amps every day all the time.

That is not how you figure loading.
If you think I’m incorrect, don’t tell me I’m wrong without telling us all the right way.

The thing I’m trying to avoid is in the event the starting current of any one or multiple appliances causing the generator to shut down or a breaker to trip at an inopportune time. This is why I want lots of headroom in my rated capacity. Also less voltage sag.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I have a silly question - that was the price, installed? If so, it may be within reach in the near future.
i went through costco so the total cost (installed) was $14,000. then you get a 10% rebate from costco ($1,400 cash that they gave me when i went to costco) and you get 2% cash back for being an executive member (so $280). that nets to 12,320 and then i think the permit cost me something like $500. so if i remember correctly, ultimately it was a little under $13k. you can save a little if your gas and electric meters are close to each other, i paid and extra $1,650 them to run the gas line 66 feet.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
If you think I’m incorrect, don’t tell me I’m wrong without telling us all the right way.

The thing I’m trying to avoid is in the event the starting current of any one or multiple appliances causing the generator to shut down or a breaker to trip at an inopportune time. This is why I want lots of headroom in my rated capacity. Also less voltage sag.
Easy to find on line anywhere, but I'll help. Of course anyone can inflate their need, as you appear to be doing for what ever reason, and pay accordingly.

https://www.norwall.com/power-expert/power-calculator/

Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post Generac calls this their " Digital Load Management Module (DLM)"

Quote:

Rather than oversizing the generator, look for a model which can integrate with a "Load Shedding" controller.

For central air, a smart controller on the generator will prevent the "compressor on" low-voltage signal to the air conditioner outside unit(s) from coming on at generator startup or when overall genset load is too high to handle the starting surge of the motor. Controller can usually also force drop power to 120V/240V loads as needed.

Basically "Load Shed" allows you to run on a much smaller generator by keeping the peak consumption below the overload point of the generator.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:52 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i went through costco so the total cost (installed) was $14,000. then you get a 10% rebate from costco ($1,400 cash that they gave me when i went to costco) and you get 2% cash back for being an executive member (so $280). that nets to 12,320 and then i think the permit cost me something like $500. so if i remember correctly, ultimately it was a little under $13k. you can save a little if your gas and electric meters are close to each other, i paid and extra $1,650 them to run the gas line 66 feet.
Did you already have gas service at your house or was this a new gas line? At my house the gas company was very happy to completely dig up the old gas line and upsize it to a larger one to service the generator for no cost at all. I guess they're betting on future power outages.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:

The typical water heater draws 4500 watts. I downsized the elements in mine to 3500 watts. Heating water is typically half of the household electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House