Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, must be nice to be rich enough to even consider having to rent a separate place rather than figure out how to camp out in the space you're already paying for.

It's all about whatever amount of money you feel like spending. If you want permission from a frugal person to rent a separate place because you don't want to camp out in your current space, you won't get that from me.

Think of it as fun. Move the microwave into another room. I mean, look at what would be involved in camping and then compare that to whatever you have to do to live in your current home. And then feel really blessed that you have these types of problems in your 1st world life.

This is the right attitude ^^^^. There are people in this world who would be thrilled to just have a home to live in, regardless of if it was being remodeled while they stayed there or not.

We never considered the 8 years it took to do our home a problem, we just kept moving things around to give us the things we needed to survive. It also freed up a lot of money we used to buy the materials we needed to do the next steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 10:41 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I never have remodeled but my sister did a major kitchen a few years ago. She did the frig in the garage/paper plates/eat out a lot routine.

She did have a territorial cocker spaniel who barked constantly when strangers were around, so it went to the dog sitter on weekdays.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:18 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
We will be remodeling our kitchen in a month or two. (we are not doing it--- we are having it done).
We have only done smaller tweaks in the past. In our previous home, we replaced countertops, added molding etc but never emptied out the whole kitchen.
We will be getting new appliances, but the fridge is functional so my plan for now is to move the fridge and microwave to our dining room and of course use paper plates and probably eat out more often and buy take out a fair deal. We cannot and will not eat out all meals for the duration. I think we will manage ok.

It's the packing up the kitchen and trying to coordinate the new fridge/old fridge that has me a little concerned. I hope it's not too crazy.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:24 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
RV in the driveway is the preferred solution.

We lived in a travel trailer during one kitchen remodel. So much easier than the refrigerator and microwave in the garage business that we had done during a previous kitchen remodel at another home.

We didn't hook it up to the sewer line. We had a rolling tank that we emptied into a downstairs toilet. We did hook up a water hose and electricity. I don't recall hearing anything from the city about this.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
We lived in our house the entire time we had the kitchen being remodeled. We did a complete gut job.

We put the fridge on the back porch and then we set up a microwave and coffee maker and toaster oven in the dining room. We also put a trash receptacle and plenty of disposable plates and utensils in there. We ate out and ate "simple food" a lot. We had plastic put up across the openings into the kitchen so the dust and paint particles weren't much of an issue if at all.

It was a hassle but overall it wasn't terrible. I enjoyed being on site as well.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Back in the day of the Stay At Home Mom, (1960s) my parents did a large kitchen and house remodel of the main floor of the house.

Their solution was to put in a temporary kitchen in the basement using the old appliances, and then when school let out, mom and the 8 kids spent the summer camping at various state parks in the area. Dad stayed behind for work and to supervise the remodel. Occasionally, Mom and the kids returned home to do major laundry and then head back out.

My mom grew up in a lumber camp. She knew how to handle the outdoors. Us kids learned to handle it too.
Wow, that sounds like a fun experience.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I’ve done it twice. Just set up a temporary kitchen in a room. Eat from paper plates to cut down on washing. I wouldn’t go buying a RV for this.

One thing that you need to absolutely make sure is the contractor and any trades he hires removes ALL construction related trash EVERY day and that they put up a dust barrier from thick plastic to separate the work area from the rest of the house using thick WHITE plastic. Give them a assigned entry exit door. And everything else is confined off no access. If they need a bathroom tell the GC to get a port a John service.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Been there. Done that. From galley kitchen only to complete remodel with outside walls and one bath tub of the original house. It is just the kitchen! Please add 20% to the time frame and budget.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:56 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
We are remodeling our kitchen through a general contractor, including removing 15' of wall. Rents in our area are high, and I'd like to stay close to do what I can to keep the project on schedule.
We stayed in our house (1 story) during a kitchen remodel and a room addition. It was bearable, but just barely. It really is true that remodeling takes a toll on family relationships. All that dust, debris, plastic, etc....it definitely strains relationships. But then it's over. And I understand what you mean about wanting to be there when the work is being done or to answer contractors' questions on a timely basis.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
We did a kitchen remodel and tore up tile and ref looked the main floor with red oak when we bought our house in November four years ago. I would’ve loved to have stayed in our RV but it is too big for the driveway and can’t be parked in front of the house for more than a few hours because local laws.
So we lived in the master suite for three months with a fridge in the garage and microwave and coffeemaker in the master bath. When daughter came home for breakfast from college her floor was untouched so it worked. We ate out a lot. A real lot.
Of course the remodel went on longer than the contractor promised but we rode him hard and he finished only about 90 days late. And that is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House