Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,585 times

Advertisements

Has any one had builder installed hardwood flooring put in? I'm talking tract builder not custom) Are you satisfied with the installion & quality? This is something we really want and are stuggling with. The house is going to be on a slab (which means a glue-down floor) but we aren't sure if we should have a contractor come in after closing & put the floors in or go with the builder. If we put the hardwoods in after the closing we will need to put either tile or carpet down to get the C/O. Carpet is probably the best choice in that case because ripping up tile would be such a MESS. Btw-our home currently has manufact. hardwoods on a slab & no problems with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
When my partner and I started the process of choosing our upgrades, we loaded our options sheet with everything we could possibly want in our home. We already had an approval letter for the mortgage, so we knew our max spending limit. Once all options and upgrades were totalled up, we removed the items that were either (i) too expensive or (ii) not important. It would've broken my heart to know we could've done other things had we not approached it this way. It's good advice for anything you buy really - computers, cars, tvs, etc. Know your maximum allowance and load 'em up with everything you want. Once you see what this costs, remove the items/options that you deem less important. In many cases (at least for us), you may be surprised at what you can get.

Regarding electrical work, even if you do nothing else, you MUST figure out where you want additional outlets, light switches, lighting/audio pre-wires, etc. before they install drywall. You will save yourself a ton of money by having this done during construction. Our builder charged a very nominal amount for installing additional items like this (I think we added like 15 additional pre-wires/outlets/switches throughout the house).

Last edited by NickMan7; 04-29-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,563 times
Three of the four houses we've owned have been new construction, and I can say from experience that it's easier to get the upgrades when building.

The nice thing about having a brand new house is the fact that it's all done - the last thing I'd want to do is move into my nice new house and not be absolutley thrilled with every bit of it. Also, who on earth wants to deal with renovations and upgrades on new construction?

Here is what I would absolutley get from the builder:

Hardwood flooring
upgraded fixtures
upgraded lighting
all the outlets/cable jacks/ceiling fan boxes you want
upgraded cabinets (42 inch)
no vinyl flooring - tile or hardwood
nice counters (corien, granite, etc)

Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
I would be looking @ the mini split a/c system that uses inverter technology and can have multiple units that can attach to them. It allows for a very large capacity fluctuation making it very efficient also no duct work save $$ and each unit can be zoned for it's own comfort control. 7 rooms with 7 different temp/humidity requirements to each his own. Only want one room cooled/heated then so be it.

It may be possible to talk your builder into it depending on the contractor.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I would be looking @ the mini split a/c system that uses inverter technology and can have multiple units that can attach to them. It allows for a very large capacity fluctuation making it very efficient also no duct work save $$ and each unit can be zoned for it's own comfort control. 7 rooms with 7 different temp/humidity requirements to each his own. Only want one room cooled/heated then so be it.

It may be possible to talk your builder into it depending on the contractor.
Now that sounds like a cool & sensible system!!! (no pun intended ) but I doubt our builder will go for it..it's a tract builder..I'm having trouble getting a 14 seer a/c from them! No flexiblity with these guys!!! ggrr..

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM

112 posts, read 851,912 times
Personally, I would opt for structural options. Things such as bump outs, windows, layout and etc. A lot of homes lack standard side windows so that might be something you want to add as an option now. Those are things that cannot be done later without some major renovations.

In terms of flooring, it depends on the selection your builder provides. Items such as tiles in the bathrooms I'd get done now. It's costly and labor intensive to have a bathroom redone. Unless you want some exotic materials installed that the builder does not offer, I would save the headache and get it done by the builder. For hardwood floors, it depends if there is already standard hardwood flooring offered in the foyer or elsewhere. For the wood to match or for it to flow from room to room without breaks, you'd want to do it now if you like the selections available. Having the builder install the wood flooring also means that your handrails and if you had runner carpets on your stairs, it too will be stained to match. It's very labor intensive to have someone come in and sand down your rails and restain them to match later on. Another positive is having your builder's warranty if for any reason there are problems with your hardwood flooring over the course of the usually 1 year warranty period. For carpets, standard ones tend to wear out within a few years of use and due to the incredibly high markup, your best option would be to get this done afterwards. If you plan to keep the standard carpet for a few years, try upgrading the pads through the builder. It should only be a few hundred ($100-200) extra per room instead of thousands upgrading carpets too.

The last thing you want to consider is electrical wiring and networking. A builder installed alarm and network should be highly considered. The installation will be seamless done by the builder and will not require cutting of drywall later on if it was installed afterwards. Some builder may charge $100-250 per an additional electrical outlet. It's a huge markup that only cost them a few extra dollars. The only problem is, depending on the location, it may or may not be accessible later. Ceiling fan outlets and switches I would consider doing now with the builder. Recessed lighting depends on the location and if there is already an existing switch and cabling available. If there is, I'd hold off otherwise it's very tempting to get it done now to avoid cutting drywalls and having to repaint later. A good idea is to visit your homesite often and if an installer is already doing the work, ask him if he can add a few outlets or lights for you and offer him cash. Some builder's are strict about this so it may or may not be successful but worth a try.

In the end though, you need to stay within budget. Everyone wants the latest and greatest but often times that's not financially realistic. Your home inside and out should be a canvas and you can decorate and model as you please. But to start, make sure it's the right size with all the windows, bump outs, and layout you want since that cannot be changed later on.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 AM
udr

6 posts, read 23,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
Personally, I would opt for structural options. Things such as bump outs, windows, layout and etc. A lot of homes lack standard side windows so that might be something you want to add as an option now. Those are things that cannot be done later without some major renovations.

In terms of flooring, it depends on the selection your builder provides. Items such as tiles in the bathrooms I'd get done now. It's costly and labor intensive to have a bathroom redone. Unless you want some exotic materials installed that the builder does not offer, I would save the headache and get it done by the builder. For hardwood floors, it depends if there is already standard hardwood flooring offered in the foyer or elsewhere. For the wood to match or for it to flow from room to room without breaks, you'd want to do it now if you like the selections available. Having the builder install the wood flooring also means that your handrails and if you had runner carpets on your stairs, it too will be stained to match. It's very labor intensive to have someone come in and sand down your rails and restain them to match later on. Another positive is having your builder's warranty if for any reason there are problems with your hardwood flooring over the course of the usually 1 year warranty period. For carpets, standard ones tend to wear out within a few years of use and due to the incredibly high markup, your best option would be to get this done afterwards. If you plan to keep the standard carpet for a few years, try upgrading the pads through the builder. It should only be a few hundred ($100-200) extra per room instead of thousands upgrading carpets too.

The last thing you want to consider is electrical wiring and networking. A builder installed alarm and network should be highly considered. The installation will be seamless done by the builder and will not require cutting of drywall later on if it was installed afterwards. Some builder may charge $100-250 per an additional electrical outlet. It's a huge markup that only cost them a few extra dollars. The only problem is, depending on the location, it may or may not be accessible later. Ceiling fan outlets and switches I would consider doing now with the builder. Recessed lighting depends on the location and if there is already an existing switch and cabling available. If there is, I'd hold off otherwise it's very tempting to get it done now to avoid cutting drywalls and having to repaint later. A good idea is to visit your homesite often and if an installer is already doing the work, ask him if he can add a few outlets or lights for you and offer him cash. Some builder's are strict about this so it may or may not be successful but worth a try.

In the end though, you need to stay within budget. Everyone wants the latest and greatest but often times that's not financially realistic. Your home inside and out should be a canvas and you can decorate and model as you please. But to start, make sure it's the right size with all the windows, bump outs, and layout you want since that cannot be changed later on.
This is the exact logic and route that I took. I looked 1st for structural upgrades (bumpout, sunroom, and windows). Then look to upgrade where I know that it will be a challenge for me later on (matching hardwood to foyer, ceiling fan junction boxes). I opted to skip the lighting fixture upgrades, because they are costly through the builder and can easily be replaced.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udr View Post
This is the exact logic and route that I took. I looked 1st for structural upgrades (bumpout, sunroom, and windows). Then look to upgrade where I know that it will be a challenge for me later on (matching hardwood to foyer, ceiling fan junction boxes). I opted to skip the lighting fixture upgrades, because they are costly through the builder and can easily be replaced.
We did have our family room bumped out and the basement finished with a bath. We also had recessed lighting in the kitchen (which was expensive). Also, we had our kitchen modified to fit a double oven, that wasn't an option for our floor plan but we had them price it out and had it done.

We didnt tile our kitchen and such because they didn't have many options.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM

271 posts, read 1,061,095 times
We are also purchasing a tract home. We are getting a good deal price wise, however, nothing like the model homes, comes completely bare bones. We want to add lots of upgrades, however we have been advice to not go over 15% of the base price on upgrades, which roughly, gives us about 30k to work with. So, here is my wishlist, however, even though i haven't met with the home studio yet, i'm sure i probably won't be able to get maybe half of these.

Mater bath wit jetted tub and seperate shower and double sinks.
granite counter in kitchen
cable outlets in every room.
pre-wiring for ceiling fans in family, master and 1 additional bedroom.
extra outlets throught house
upgraded carpet and padding
tile floors in kitchen and bathrooms
upgraded counters in bathrooms
upgraded cabinetry in kitchen

like i said, i doubt my 30k will stretch very far, and i'm actually dreding going to the home studio because of it.

Anyone have idea on what some of these upgrades cost thru the builder? the house is 1964sq.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
We are also purchasing a tract home. We are getting a good deal price wise, however, nothing like the model homes, comes completely bare bones. We want to add lots of upgrades, however we have been advice to not go over 15% of the base price on upgrades, which roughly, gives us about 30k to work with. So, here is my wishlist, however, even though i haven't met with the home studio yet, i'm sure i probably won't be able to get maybe half of these.

Mater bath wit jetted tub and seperate shower and double sinks.
granite counter in kitchen
cable outlets in every room.
pre-wiring for ceiling fans in family, master and 1 additional bedroom.
extra outlets throught house
upgraded carpet and padding
tile floors in kitchen and bathrooms
upgraded counters in bathrooms
upgraded cabinetry in kitchen

like i said, i doubt my 30k will stretch very far, and i'm actually dreding going to the home studio because of it.

Anyone have idea on what some of these upgrades cost thru the builder? the house is 1964sq.
It sounds like you should be able to do it with what you have listed. My mb came with a jacuzzi tub and separate shower. I didn't want the jacuzzi tub just a soaking and the builder credited me 2700.00 for it. Also, my builder, if you upgraded the cabinets in the kitchen you also got upgraded cabinets in the bathrooms for the same price. The house should come with so many cable outlets so you would only have to add the extras to cover all the rooms.

You might just want to think about upgrading the padding and not the carpet unless you want berber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House