Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times

Advertisements

My upstairs bedroom is ridiculously hot. I cannot have a window unit, per hoa rules. I'm debating between a swamp cooler vs a portable ac unit. Does anyone have any ideas as to which would be better. Mid-Atlantic region if that matters. The house does have central A/C, but the bedroom is still too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Have you had the system checked by your HVAC contractor? It could be something as simple as a separated or restricted duct to the BR.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:46 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Yeah- start with the system first...

Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
I'd also say in the Mid-Atlantic region is far too humid for an evaporative cooler to work well. There are maps of effective zones; look up your region to see if a swamp cooler would be even marginally effective.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
> Mid-Atlantic region if that matters.

It matters a lot. Swamp coolers only work where the humidity is low. They don't even work that well in the Southwest during monsoon season.

Try to get your system fixed first.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Doesn't a portable AC unit still need to get the water out somehow? Through a hose that goes out your window? Make sure HOA is okay with that.

I live in a low humidity area and I have tried a swamp cooler and it doesn't work that well, and you have to be real close in front of it to feel enough cool air.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:11 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Thanks. I'm renting right now, but the system seems to be working well.

The townhouse is 3 levels: basement is awesomely cool, middle level stays cool, my 3rd level bedroom is hot, the other 2 bedrooms, third level, on the other side of the house are fine.

The other 2 bedrooms are shaded. I'm pretty sure it's just the fact that my bedroom has no shade and gets alot of sun. I have thermal curtains and I suppose they help a little.

My neighbors have said their upstairs room is also hot, but they are just cranking up the entire central air unit. I was thinking the portable unit, just in my room, would save more energy.

Yes, I will be putting a hose out the window for the portable unit and see what happens.

I did check the maps, and it looks the swamp cooler wouldn't work in this region. I was thinking that the central air would've removed enough humidity from the house so that the swamp cooler would work. Has anyone ran the swamp cooler + central air?

Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I live in a low humidity area and I have tried a swamp cooler and it doesn't work that well, and you have to be real close in front of it to feel enough cool air.
Based on this and nothing else, I have to wonder whether you were using it correctly. I've had both evap and AC; both worked fine in North California although some humid days were borderline with a cooler. It wasn't even a sad joke to think about in the northeast (with AC that pulled more water out of the air than our well did out of the ground).

But here in Denver, with ~20% RH a good part of the time, I added a moderate-sized through-wall to my two-story, 1700sf house and have no complaints. (About three days a summer, the humidity goes up just high enough that cooling is noticeably affected.)

If you really have low RH, a cooler should work well. The big difference between a cooler and AC is that AC more or less requires a sealed box for proper operation, while a cooler requires some slightly fussy blow-through allowance, with selected windows open a predetermined amount, to get even cooling.

If you run a cooler into a closed box or without sufficient flow-through, they won't do squat and "the only place you'll feel cool air is right in front of them."

Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 AM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Doesn't a portable AC unit still need to get the water out somehow? Through a hose that goes out your window? Make sure HOA is okay with that.

Yes we have a portable a/c but the hose has to go out the window. I also have a small "arctic air" cooler, which I use at night, when we turn off the main unit. It is about the size of a radio & does a good job at cooling down a small space, ( ie , just one side of the bed.) They need no hoses, & only cost around $40.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
you have an attic fan? i remember in my last house when the attic fan stopped working it was impossible to cool the bedrooms upstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House