Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

While installing a celling fan, the repair man noticed a broken truss at my mothers house.

We know she is in need of a new roof, its probably over 20 years old, 2 layers of shingles. It has softspots in few areas. So far no leaks into the house. She is on SS, so she is saving money for new roof. (I was told insurance wont cover due to age of roof).

Could this damage be caused by the roof being old and sagging? She had it fixed by having a repairman raise it, and sister 2 boards on each side.

(I know some will say she should hire engineer to inspect but at this time she has no money for that)

Trying to figure out how to add picture, it says I cant post attachments

ETA link for picture, let me know if it doesn't work (new to this)
https://photos.google.com/u/3/photo/...ciR6trjxjqyE5U

Last edited by Nika04; 06-13-2020 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 07:46 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
A damaged truss has nothing to do with an old roof, however if there are soft spots on the roof, chances are there is roof sheathing that will need to be replaced prior to the installation of new shingles.

The roofers will be able to identify all bad areas once they are in the process of removing the existing shingles.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 PM

Thank you. I am just wondering if the sagging could have caused the truss to break (leaves laying on there, or snow) we have no idea how long its been broken.

I worry this might be structural, and she does not have money to fix it now. There is 3 areas where she has cracks in the exterior wall (including going threw brick, they are not wide but long (from bottom of window all the way to ground), no cracks on the inside walls. All windows work well (but they do also show some cracking on outside by frame).

For now I am taking pictures and measuring all the cracks since I honestly never paid attention before and have no idea if they were there before or not. The house was build in 1976, it passed inspection 9 years ago with (some common cracks mentioned as no big issue). Of course if I noticed the cracks are getting worst or there is more, we will need to address it.

Roof quotes I have been getting are 10,000 - 15,000 for full tear off, she will also need gutters and chimney fixed. At this point I honestly fear she cant add on a foundation getting fixed.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM

In case that link doesn't work here is another

https://imgur.com/f079yUa

Old 06-13-2020, 09:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
That's a rafter, not a truss, and it is a structural member. It can be repaired by sistering a new 2x on either side. A good carpenter should be able to fix it pretty easily. There's no danger of an imminent roof collapse if it's just that one.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
That's a rafter, not a truss, and it is a structural member. It can be repaired by sistering a new 2x on either side. A good carpenter should be able to fix it pretty easily. There's no danger of an imminent roof collapse if it's just that one.
Thank you. That is how she had it fixed until she is ready for new roof which will be soon. A local roofer called it a truss and said "its too much work for him". So that combined with a couple of cracks in her exterior walls, had me freaked out that she might be having foundation issues.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika04 View Post
Thank you. That is how she had it fixed until she is ready for new roof which will be soon. A local roofer called it a truss and said "its too much work for him". So that combined with a couple of cracks in her exterior walls, had me freaked out that she might be having foundation issues.
It's highly unlikely that the broken rafter is related to the cracked bricks, unless there's some really serious settlement. Are they in the same area? Pictures of the brick cracks?

Old 06-14-2020, 09:02 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
We were getting our house ready for sale and had a licensed handyman out to do a few repairs. He was telling me about a house he did some inspection repairs and that he had to repair a couple of rafters that were broken. He said that these go unnoticed because how many homeowners go into their roof crawl space and check them? He also said a number of reasons could be why they were broken. He repaired them just as you stated.

When our buyers had their inspection done on our house, we too had a couple of broken rafters. Our handyman fixed them with no issues.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
It's highly unlikely that the broken rafter is related to the cracked bricks, unless there's some really serious settlement. Are they in the same area? Pictures of the brick cracks?

I made a new post to address her broken bricks
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...monitored.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House