Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We turn the ac off at night. I use an arctic air fan to keep myself cool. I keep it on the shelf near the bed, so it blows directly on me.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...-white/5299024
I did that living up north , not so good down south .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Also, OP close your bedroom curtains before the sun comes in there, especially if the sun sets on that side of the house.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Your question makes sense but makes me wonder if the idea of which you speak will really work. Does the bedroom really receive all the air you (think you) are redirecting when you close off those vents? Or does the air leak out of the boot just on the other side of the vent, into the attic or crawlspace?

We have both a central A/C and a window unit for the bedroom. For some reason (winter or summer) bedroom is always significantly warmer than the rest of the home. We run the window unit specifically to cool that room further, which allows us to run the central A/C less.
Can’t reach the vents to close them anyhow got cathedral ceilings , good job or I might have been tempted to mess with them too lol

Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You can get a fan like this, and it will cool your room significantly so that you can keep the rest of the house consistent.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Optimus-...72WH/205442444
I do have one opposite side of my bed ...no plug so I don’t use it , doesn’t have remote control though , I like that idea , in fact now I think about it i can switch it around for my small bedside fan , I do have a remote for me ceiling fan , best money I ever put in something .....switching fans now , can’t wait to go to bed Lol Thanks guys Small fan goes big one moves over !

Old 07-27-2020, 08:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I like my bedroom cooler a night , is it better to close off all the other rooms , I mean close the doors so I get more AC in my bedroom , OR. Is it better letting it the AC circulate all over. The house ...I’m one story open floor plan . Oh and leave my bedroom door open or closed at night . Hope it makes sense ?
We live in a two-story house and no matter what we have done (with improving the ductwork and adding more vents), the a/c does not really cool the upper floor. We used to crank the a/c very cold in an effort to get the upstairs cool enough for comfortable nighttime sleeping. Not very successful. This summer, we caved and bought a small window a/c unit for the master bedroom. We turn off the whole-house a/c when we go to bed, and turn on the window unit and shut the bedroom door. I have to say, it's pretty blissful. I had been very against window units up until now, but this is working out really well. It's so targeted, and it keeps us very comfortable. In the morning, we turn off the window unit, and we turn the whole-house a/c on (if the day is supposed to get hot - otherwise we rely on open windows and oscillating fans).

Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You can get a fan...and it will cool your room significantly so that you can keep the rest of the house consistent.

Fans DO NOT cool rooms- fans move air. And as that air flows across your skin, it creates evaporation. It’s the evaporation that makes it feel cooler.

OP- you say you have a ceiling fan. Is it turning in the right direction for this time of year?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:37 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
For now leave the bedroom door open and an hour before bed lower the thermostat by 2 degrees. If you have a programmable thermostat you can program the change an hour before your normal bedtime and change back an hour before your normal wake time. Look into thermal drapes for bedroom windows. Some people don’t like them because the room is very dark but they work to keep the room cooler in the summer months. When you make your bed in the morning cold back your sheets and blanket. This will help keep your bedding and mattress cool.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Another factor could be the type of sheets on your bed. Cotton polyester blend sheets tend to hold in more heat. 100% cotton sheets breath better. Try a sateen set of sheets or 100% cotton with around 350 thread count sheets. Also look for a light weight blanket or comforter for summer months.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If the bedroom is on the sunset side of the house, can you grow vines or beans on a trellis to shade the side of the bedroom to keep the afternoon heat out? Also, drapes over the windows can keep out heat. Paint the exterior white will reflect heat away. A shade tree over the bed room area can also cool down the house.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:13 AM

The large standing fan I started using again definitely cools off the room even on low , I keep my shutters closed in my bedroom day and night anyhow , might have the windows tinted at some point , I hear that helps . But trying to keep cool at night would work much better if I lost 20 pounds! I’m certain of that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House