Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
That photo is misleading, taken with a lens that alters the proportions. Look at the listing for how it really looks.

The sink is within the work triangle. Under the window would be terrible for actually cooking. And if it were under the window the dishwasher would be badly placed.
how would the dishwasher be badly placed? My dishwasher is to the right of the window beneath the sink and it looks fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
I didn't read through the whole thread. Looks like the granite (or quartz) just needs to be cut out. I see a double door cabinet beneath.... so my guess is, the plumbing is there if needed and just stubbed out. New owners get to pick what sink they want, or no sink.

When I built my house, I have sinks in both places... and that was in 1995.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
how would the dishwasher be badly placed? My dishwasher is to the right of the window beneath the sink and it looks fine.
As you can see from the realistic photo, to the right of the sink is right next to the pantry, and to the left of the sink might hit the island. Might. Left would be better than right. Still, the sink under the window is too far away from the work triangle.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen sink on island instead of under window.-oo.jpg  

Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
As you can see from the realistic photo, to the right of the sink is right next to the pantry, and to the left of the sink might hit the island. Might. Left would be better than right. Still, the sink under the window is too far away from the work triangle.
Wow, yeah, it's amazing what a lens can do to a room (or not)

Old 08-11-2020, 11:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Wow what a difference the "real" photo is!

That kitchen is pretty small :/ Yeah, sink below the window wouldn't work, neither would a dishwasher. Everything is placed correctly in this instance.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We live in a pretty upscale area (new construction starts at $4MM) and I can’t remember the last new build (spec or custom) that didn’t have a sink in the island.

Edit: I took another look and found a few new builds that don't have the sink in the island, but it looks like the more popular layout is to have the stove against the wall, and the sink in the island so that you can just turn around from the stove to access the sink.
You mean there's only one sink and it's in the island? While it's not unusual to have a sink in the island, it is a little odd for the ONLY sink to be in the island. A lot of houses, especially higher-end ones, have a prep sink in the island in addition to the main sink elsewhere, which is actually pretty great.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You mean there's only one sink and it's in the island? While it's not unusual to have a sink in the island, it is a little odd for the ONLY sink to be in the island. A lot of houses, especially higher-end ones, have a prep sink in the island in addition to the main sink elsewhere, which is actually pretty great.
Some have more than one sink, but many have the only sink in the island.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...0415399_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...0421948_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...0419553_zpid/?

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-11-2020 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 04:57 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Is that pic of a house in KC? Most of the sinks in KC are in the backyard. BBQ/smoke makes such a mess...LOL!

Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM

262 posts, read 164,747 times
I like the idea of 4 sinks in the kitchen: main kitchen prep sink facing a window, small island sink that dispenses hot and cold drinking water, bar sink and ice machine next to dining area, and then a dishwasher sink in a separate dishwasher room off from the kitchen. One of my relatives has a separate dishwasher room, but they also have a dumbwaiter.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:32 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

No, it's not terribly odd for there to be only one sink. Yes, larger and more expensive homes with more fancy kitchens will often have a second prep sink. But there are plenty of smaller, less luxury houses with the standard one kitchen sink that just happens to be in the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
I like the idea of 4 sinks in the kitchen: main kitchen prep sink facing a window, small island sink that dispenses hot and cold drinking water, bar sink and ice machine next to dining area, and then a dishwasher sink in a separate dishwasher room off from the kitchen. One of my relatives has a separate dishwasher room, but they also have a dumbwaiter.
unless you have a live in cook and housekeeper, that sounds like a huge pain in the butt to me to have the dishwasher outside of the main work area in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House