Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2020, 02:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

The hood is old, it's a Kenmore model # 850. The filter that was in it when I moved in was so filthy I threw it away. I mean, I did try to clean it but it was disgusting, huge black blobs of grease in it. I didn't think to measure it before I chucked it, much to my current dismay.

Now I'm searching for a replacement, but the standard sizes don't seem to relate to the size I need, unless I am measuring wrong.

It was a filter and light cover. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rang.../dp/B008B7VOEK

But I don't understand the sizing. Is the 11 11/16 X 13 15/32 the whole thing, filter and light cover combined, or are they two separate measurements?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 03:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
If the hood is old, why not check in to replacing the entire unit? Unless it is an unusual shape or size they don't cost too much and are easy to install. Does the color match your other appliances?

Take a look at the home improvement stores.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:15 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Sears model numbers are usually nnn.nnnnnn (3 numbers (dot) 6 numbers) With that you can probably go to sears parts direct and get a breakdown with the part number for the filter. You can also try just googling the sears model number (the whole nnn.nnnnnn) or the part number for the filter from the sears parts breakdown.

looking at your amazon example it appears the dimesions are the whole thing with the lens being 5" of the 13 15/32 dimension. Eyeball guestimatting says that would make the proportions in the picture correct.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If the hood is old, why not check in to replacing the entire unit? Unless it is an unusual shape or size they don't cost too much and are easy to install. Does the color match your other appliances?

Take a look at the home improvement stores.

I did price them. Almost any not already budgeted for cost is "too much" at the moment, though. I'm not done with the electrician yet and hoo boy has he gotten a lot of my money already. This house was a fire trap.

As for installing it I'd have to pay someone to do that, too.

I don't much care about matching. The existing hood is a sort of chrome color but it's so old it's hard to tell. When I haul out that mouse infested gas monstrosity of a range that's in here (after the electrician puts in my 220V outlet) I'll be putting in my electric stove which is an odd beige color. I prefer white appliances, but am not house proud and don't care if they match as long as they work (and don't smell like mouse).

Old 08-21-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Sears model numbers are usually nnn.nnnnnn (3 numbers (dot) 6 numbers) With that you can probably go to sears parts direct and get a breakdown with the part number for the filter. You can also try just googling the sears model number (the whole nnn.nnnnnn) or the part number for the filter from the sears parts breakdown.

looking at your amazon example it appears the dimesions are the whole thing with the lens being 5" of the 13 15/32 dimension. Eyeball guestimatting says that would make the proportions in the picture correct.

Thanks. Okay, all I can see is the 850. I did try searching based on that, I found a Kenmore parts website, but didn't come up with anything. If there are more numbers they have worn away and just look like scratches. I guess this thing must be pretty old. The seller did leave the manual for some of the appliances, but not the range hood. They are all 20 years old, or more except the fridge which is only 5 years old.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:45 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I would remove the filter, place on a piece of cardboard and drew an outline of it.
Cut it out and go to HD, Lowe's, Best Buy or similar that sell appliance to see if their associates can match it (or search their database).

BTW: did you try to clean the filter with Oven Cleaner spray? I get very good results using it.

If you can - put in outside, pour boiling water over it and let sit. Rinse with garden hose, repeat but not rinse, and mediately spray the Oven Cleaner all over it. Let it sit for few hours. Rinse with garden hose. Repeat the hot water rinse to heat the filter and repeat with Oven Cleaner.
It's worth to try...

Last edited by elnina; 08-21-2020 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-21-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would remove the filter, place on a piece of cardboard and drew an outline of it.
Cut it out and go to HD, Lowe's, Best Buy or similar that sell appliance to see if their associates can match it (or search their database).

If only I had done that before I threw it away. I was just so grossed out by the big black globs of grease. I couldn't imagine what they were. I didn't think it through first.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:59 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Oh, ok. The other option is now to measure the hole where the filter normally sits in. The filter is generally just very little bigger than the hole, so you can insert it into it. In other models it just snaps in.
People in the appliance store would know what to do with your measurement, and could try to find a filter that would fit into it.

Can you take a picture of the hood where the filter goes in and post here? It would help a lot.

https://www.fix.com/parts/microwave/...0&ModelNum=850
???

Last edited by elnina; 08-21-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-21-2020, 08:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
This company has all kinds of filters-

https://www.rangeairfilters.com/prod...-11-3-4-x-3-8/

Link is to the type of lense/filter you’re looking for.

I’m sure an email to their customer service/contact with a good explanation of what you’re needing will get you exactly what you need.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The hood is old, it's a Kenmore model # 850. The filter that was in it when I moved in was so filthy I threw it away. I mean, I did try to clean it but it was disgusting, huge black blobs of grease in it. I didn't think to measure it before I chucked it, much to my current dismay.

Now I'm searching for a replacement, but the standard sizes don't seem to relate to the size I need, unless I am measuring wrong.

It was a filter and light cover. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rang.../dp/B008B7VOEK

But I don't understand the sizing. Is the 11 11/16 X 13 15/32 the whole thing, filter and light cover combined, or are they two separate measurements?

Any ideas?

Thanks
There is usually a indentation where the filet sits this way it’s flush. You got a pic of this thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House