Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:10 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi guys,

I just moved into a new home and love it, however; I noticed today a really bad smell in my bedroom that I think is coming from my en suite bathroom. It smells like rotten eggs. The property management company isn't open until Monday so was wondering if there is something I can do in the meantime?
That's Sulpher Water. Do a little online research and see how to eliminate it if it comes back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 10:36 PM

60 posts, read 305,942 times
We had the exact same problem with a new pedestal sink that we installed in a bathroom. Initially, the sink was great and perfect for the space saving aspect. However, a few months after we had installed the pedestal sink, I came downstairs to a horrible smell. I had no idea why the bathroom would suddenly smell so bad so figured that running bleach through the overflows and drains would fix it. It worked but only very temporarily before the smell came right back just as bad as before. Turns out that the sink had an area on the INSIDE/UNDERSIDE, under and within the basin itself where the eye couldn't actually see, that the drain water was collecting undetected and stinking to the heavens. Basically, a design flaw caused the rotten egg smell. Gunk collected under a 'ledge' right near the drain and collected there and the build-up was nasty. Took out the sink and voila the smell never ever came back because the defectively designed sink was outta there.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:58 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Is it possible it could be a gas leak? That is my main concern but not sure it would make sense to be coming from the bathroom/bedroom.

Could be a gas leak. And that would be a very serious concern as compared to a sewer smell. If the source of the gas leak is in a line near the bedroom / bathroom then the smell would be there. Could be a defective heater or a line not tight.

Otherwise just run the water in the bathroom for a while and flush the toilet several times. If nothing changes call out the gas co.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I just moved into a new home and love it, however; I noticed today a really bad smell in my bedroom that I think is coming from my en suite bathroom. It smells like rotten eggs. The property management company isn't open until Monday so was wondering if there is something I can do in the meantime?
New house as in new to you or new construction? With a property management company, does that mean it's a rental? I presume public water and sewer and not private (well and septic)? As many have suggested, dry traps as the culprit, with regular use of plumbing fixtures keeping the traps wet may solve the problem permanently. If the smell comes back let us know!

Old 08-24-2020, 02:44 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Might be sewer gases coming up from the drain. It would be a bit unusual in an actively used bathroom though.

The solution is to make sure the P-traps are full of water, and the easiest way to do that is to run the sink for a minute, the shower for a minute, and flush the toilet.
We had this problem in an upstairs hallway. It was a sewer vent pipe that was left hanging open between the walls. It was not needed (there was a newer vent pipe that vented to the roof) and as soon as we capped it off, the smell went away.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:38 PM

415 posts, read 371,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
New house as in new to you or new construction? With a property management company, does that mean it's a rental? I presume public water and sewer and not private (well and septic)? As many have suggested, dry traps as the culprit, with regular use of plumbing fixtures keeping the traps wet may solve the problem permanently. If the smell comes back let us know!
Yes, it was built in July of this year. The plumber said the same thing and that I just need to run the taps every day or so if the bathroom isn't in use to make sure the smell doesn't come back, but I have lived in new construction multiple times and have never had a bathroom smell if I don't use it for a day or so. If I am away on vacation I don't know how this can be managed.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:27 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Yes, it was built in July of this year. The plumber said the same thing and that I just need to run the taps every day or so if the bathroom isn't in use to make sure the smell doesn't come back, but I have lived in new construction multiple times and have never had a bathroom smell if I don't use it for a day or so. If I am away on vacation I don't know how this can be managed.
I have to agree with you. A new house on public water and sewer should not need its faucets run and toilets flushed on a daily basis. (Private wells without water treatment - different story with sulfur in aquifers. But even septic systems should never emit odors unless something is wrong.) In a new house, or for that matter in older houses, traps should not dry out so quickly to let stinky gases come in.

Plumbing can have four primary odors: nothing, sulfur (smells like rotten eggs), fatberg stench in drains, dishwashers, garbage disposals (rotting meat smell), or human excrement (no description needed). With this last one - poor venting, pipe blockage, or dry traps. New house, so I would eliminate pipe blockage or dry traps and go with poor venting.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:

As of today, is the smell still prevalent? If you have been running water, has the odor diminished?

If you recall, was the odor present without water running or did it become apparent when water had been run?

Old 09-13-2020, 05:39 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I have seen homes with vent pipes installed that were to small for the house by the builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House