Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 07:17 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The countertops you pictured are not granite at all. .
Yes, but they are from the same 20 year old time period.
I would think that both laminate and granite are both horribly outdated by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Thanks. Good post.

Can you explain #2 ?

I thought white cabinets are totally outdated even 20 years ago!

I can't believe a 20 year old stainless is not outdated yet!
My 1958 kitchen has its original stainless cooktop and wall oven from the first time that stainless was stylish.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Thanks. Good post.

Can you explain #2 ?

I thought white cabinets are totally outdated even 20 years ago!

I can't believe a 20 year old stainless is not outdated yet!
Stainless has been around for decades, not 20 years.

It's not a trend, any more than white or black appliances are, it's just one of what is now 3 basic color choices in appliances. There are changes in appearance of the years, though, like the big tubular handles have given way to smaller sleeker handles, or even recessed handles.

White cabinets are on the way out again, but that's a relative statement. They will always be a standard popular option, they just aren't THE trendiest option. That's a cycle that repeats every 5 years or so.

When you put all the elements together, yes, most kitchens from 20 years ago will look somewhat dated to modern eyes, even if some of the elements continue to be popular.

And while quartz is the most in thing right now, granite is always somewhat popular, even if specific colors/patterns now seem dated. But lots of people appreciate natural stone and that isn't going to change.

Last edited by emm74; 10-14-2020 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: corrected typos

Old 10-14-2020, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 6,099 times
Terrible layout for a kitchen explanation.
1. The frigerator is next to the stove on the left side. Those two appliances create heat. It shortens the life of them both (I have heard/read and forgotten somewhere). Plus, as a left hander, both of the left burners are unusable for me specifically. There probably is no icemaker, as the frigerator is too far from the sink
2. The base storage is minimal and does not take advantage of the lower corners.
3. No pantry storage for food/small appliances/cupboard overflow.
4. The peninsula may be right into frigerator door path, making this entire space a one person kitchen.
So, this is a smaller household kitchen, as there is no walking path or standing room for more than 2 people. Kids and pets are in/out as fast as revolving doors, and the chef in the household will lose their patience quickly.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:44 PM

257 posts, read 133,425 times
Subway tile = Barf.

.....and I'm one of those dreaded millennials by technicality.

I once did a remodel (the existing portion was quite ancient) + build (additional wings) where everything inside and out was white. I felt like it was a disgusting house. They kept the layout of the upper floors in the existing house, but the main floor was torn into an open-concept mess replete with ship-lap walls on their lower-half and baseboard outlets throughout. No thanks to any of the above.

The only redeeming factor of the house was the absolutely ancient and enormous oak tree out front. They cut that down too, and the house looks incredibly bland (all white siding mind you) like any other slash-n-burn development.

Quote:
There probably is no icemaker, as the frigerator (sic) is too far from the sink
Why would that matter? A water line to a fridge is just like any other water line only it uses an 1/4" pipe. Distance from a sink is absolutely irrelevant and the fridge line can be tapped from any cold water line of any size, using the proper connectors of course.

Last edited by RayHammer; 10-14-2020 at 10:53 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 10:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Have kitchen remodel style trends stayed frozen for last 20 years ?"
No.

1. Quartz is the "in" material now for countertops.
2. Drawers in the lower cabinets, not cupboards.
3. White cabinets are all the rage.
4. Stainless appliance still popular, but manufacturers are trying hard to popularize other colors such as slate.
5. LED lighting has changed everything.
My favorite, of those you listed, is drawers for most of the lower cabinets, leaving a cupboard or two for storing some very large items.

We have LED lighting overhead, but not the little can lights.

One trend from the past 20 years that I absolutely hate is microwave ovens over a range. Ugh.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My favorite, of those you listed, is drawers for most of the lower cabinets, leaving a cupboard or two for storing some very large items.

We have LED lighting overhead, but not the little can lights.

One trend from the past 20 years that I absolutely hate is microwave ovens over a range. Ugh.
Agree with you. I am going to have one of those new "drawer" microwaves. Love that idea.

Those cabinets in the photo (of the first post) make me scream old fashion. I am currently planning my kitchen remodel. I really do not want any beveled cabinets. It is quite difficult to find more up to date cabinets. I want flat panels. Difficult to find cabinets that do not have beveling. My young cousin has an IKEA kitchen and I love it. (Not doing IKEA though--it would be a nightmare.)

I am going towards two different colors which seems popular. Maybe a forest green on the bottom and off white on the top.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:23 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The countertops you pictured are not granite at all. Granite is a solid stone surface; laminate is a manufactured POS. Solid stone surfaces will always be in style, but the actual pattern and color may not. Laminate, I don't believe, was ever in style. It was just a low-grade builder's way to save money on countertops.

Corian countertops, the rage in the 90s, is definitely dated now.

Laminate was absolutely in style - it went with the chrome trim in the 50's. There were some great patterns and colors then, too. Nowadays everyone seems afraid of any color other than gray.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Laminate was absolutely in style - it went with the chrome trim in the 50's. There were some great patterns and colors then, too. Nowadays everyone seems afraid of any color other than gray.

oh, yeah, I remember that chrome trim from my grandmother's house.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:26 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What really stands out is the terrible layout of that kitchen for anyone who uses a kitchen to turn out food.
Quote:

Can you explain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolgoddess67 View Post
Terrible layout for a kitchen explanation.
1. The frigerator is next to the stove on the left side. Those two appliances create heat. It shortens the life of them both (I have heard/read and forgotten somewhere). Plus, as a left hander, both of the left burners are unusable for me specifically. There probably is no icemaker, as the frigerator is too far from the sink
2. The base storage is minimal and does not take advantage of the lower corners.
3. No pantry storage for food/small appliances/cupboard overflow.
4. The peninsula may be right into frigerator door path, making this entire space a one person kitchen.
So, this is a smaller household kitchen, as there is no walking path or standing room for more than 2 people. Kids and pets are in/out as fast as revolving doors, and the chef in the household will lose their patience quickly.

It is not a large kitchen, so layout becomes evermore important if you like to cook easily and efficiently.
It would be great to get into the room and see how to make something more functional of it. Really, it appears difficult to accommodate niceties such as a walk-in pantry, an island, a microwave, or small appliance storage. So, the space needs improved planning to be pleasant to work in.

There is no real work triangle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_work_triangle
Awful refrigerator/stove location. No landing space for items removed from the refrigerator or left side of the stove. Refrigerator to sink to stove is beyond awkward, and very difficult for two people to work.
Put the refrigerator on the other side, reversing its doors to open with a right-side hinge. Create landing space beside refrigerator and beside stove.

6. Central light means no task lighting in prep areas. This is where under-cabinet lights really help. As it is, the central ceiling lighting throws the cook's shadow onto the prep areas.

7. No prep area without a cabinet overhead. Very annoying for us tall guys.

8. Very few electrical outlets.

9. Move the dishwasher so when opened it doesn't block the doorway.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-15-2020 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House