Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 05:26 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My favorite, of those you listed, is drawers for most of the lower cabinets, leaving a cupboard or two for storing some very large items.

We have LED lighting overhead, but not the little can lights.

One trend from the past 20 years that I absolutely hate is microwave ovens over a range. Ugh.
I agree when our kitchen was rebuilt we microwave drawer installed. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 05:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times
We had the cherry cabinets with stone countertops, travertine back splash. When our kitchen was rebuilt after the fire, we put in white cabinets, with quartz countertops, LED lighting, the microwave in the drawer, we added more cabinets in the kitchen where the desk use to be. We put in a deeper kitchen sink, added a built in trash compactor for recyclables.

We used brushed nickel for handles, lighting, we had oil rubbed bronze previously. There is a big difference in the kitchen. It’s a large kitchen but it feels even bigger.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:00 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Looks to me like a rental.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:39 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
20 years is a long time.
20 years separates the 1970s from the 1990s.
20 year old kitchens in the 1990s looked very dated.
1970s yellows, oranges, and greens were replaced granite and stainless.

Yet, today it feels like a 20 year old kitchen still looks current.
This may be the effects of getting old and out of touch with the world.

Are 20 year old granite countertops woefully outdated? Or still perfectly fashionable?
Do 15-20 year old Stainless Steel appliances look laughably dated or are they still current?
If so, I have never seen a design trend last thing long.

What about light oak cabinets and white appliances?
Specifically, how outdated is this style that was common 20 years ago?
  • Light oak colored floors and cabinets
  • White appliances
  • (Laminate) granite countertops

20 years ago my parents had a VERY nice, VERY upscale home built, it was exactly 20 years ago. Counters are laminate. Trim is all white. NO oak at all. Appliances were white though the fridge is now stainless, as is the MW. The cabinets are all white - and they look beautiful, still.
Brazilian Cherry floors that they put in about 13 years ago (which apparently EVERYONE did - I am over them myself).

Personally, I have never liked granite counters - I just find the composition to be, well, ugly. I do love quartz though, and solid surface as well. (Quartzite can be beautiful but is fraught with staining issues). There ARE some much nicer looking granite options today, thank goodness. And granite is STILL very popular. It's just the old speckled busy granite that is out of favor now.

Not sure why you would think that stainless appliances look dated. They are extremely popular.

Too many different pieces in all of that to call it a single "design trend". Some is outdated, some is definitely not.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:44 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,911 times
Dunno. When I see stainless appliances, I just think "Titanic" or "iPod" or "OJ Trial"

Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Dunno. When I see stainless appliances, I just think "Titanic" or "iPod" or "OJ Trial"

I guess you don't get out much.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Being in and out of houses of wildly varying price points is part of my job. Nearly all of them have stainless kitchen appliances regardless of price point and age of the kitchen.

My former spouse was a custom kitchen designer and the vast majority of the appliances that were chosen by his clients were stainless. We first met back in the late nineties when kitchen design was making the switch from being the pleasant utilitarian spaces of his grandfather's era (grandfather worked from Youngstown Kitchens until he started his own company in the early seventies) to The Most Important Room in the House. Up until the early aughts, black appliances were more of a thing with stainless coming up close behind; by the mid-aughts on it was pretty much all stainless with the occasional choice of a homeowner choosing to have the appliances save the range blend in with the cabinetry with panels (usually in a historic house). My ex's kitchen in the luxury townhouse that he had when we first met had black appliances and granite countertops, the latter being a major upgrade in the mid-nineties when he designed that space. The custom house that he built in 2005 after he sold the townhouse had all stainless high-end appliances.

Getting back to the kitchens that I'm seeing "out in the wild"....The ones that don't have stainless appliances are either on the far low end such as rentals, are homes that belong to those are in the fifty-plus age group and/or not interested in the latest and greatest in kitchen styles, are vintage/hip revival (think brightly colored refrigerators), or are super high end, with the latter having one of the newer finishes or enameled AGA or La Cornue-type ranges.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-15-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
High quality materials, tasteful design, impeccable craftsmanship never go out of style.

The reality is that most of us are not able to afford such luxuries. Hence we settle for "in style" and then have to go into debt every generation to replace what was really contemporary when it was installed.

Remember dark green 20 years ago? Tiles, granite, walls......

Old 10-15-2020, 05:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Quote:
20 years is a long time.
20 years separates the 1970s from the 1990s.
20 year old kitchens in the 1990s looked very dated.
1970s yellows, oranges, and greens were replaced granite and stainless.

Yet, today it feels like a 20 year old kitchen still looks current.
This may be the effects of getting old and out of touch with the world.
Yep, you are correct in this statement: "This may be the effects of getting old and out of touch with the world."

Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Yep, you are correct in this statement: "This may be the effects of getting old and out of touch with the world."
Not really. Apparently, stainless steel and granite are still considered current, unlike avocado green kitchens in 1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House