Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 11:09 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

We installed 3-1/4 wide engineered Brazilian cherry flooring throughout most of the first floor of the house, in keeping with the thin width solid Brazilian mesquite that the previous owner installed in two rooms. (In addition, the home is traditional and I like narrow planks). However, we did not do the family room (which has tile) since people come in and out from the pool and I didn't want the floor to get damaged. I have since decided to remove the tile and install wood so that the house is uniform.

Unfortunately, the 3 1/4 width planks are no longer available but 2 1/4 are, and it's solid not engineered. Would it look strange for one room to have 2 1/4 and the rest of the house have 3 1/4? We'd prefer to get the wood from the same manufacturer for consistency's sake. Despite being the same species, each manufacturer's wood is different and since Brazilian cherry changes color over time, the red hues among manufacturers differ. Some take on a darker red (what we already have) while others can be a pinkish red (what I don't want).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 11:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
How will you transition the 2 different types of flooring? Will the floors be directly next to each other?

I would be more concerned with the width as opposed to the shades. In my experience, wood has never aged evenly so I think the different shades are to be expected.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:27 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
How will you transition the 2 different types of flooring? Will the floors be directly next to each other?

I would be more concerned with the width as opposed to the shades. In my experience, wood has never aged evenly so I think the different shades are to be expected.
Yes, the wider width floor will be adjacent. I suppose I'd transition with some of the larger planks that I have on hand? I could also border with tile. I'm bummed that the same size is not available. The shading with Brazilian cherry is a bit of a big deal because the rest of the house has a brown red hue since all of it comes frm the same manufacturer. All Brazilian cherry reddens but the other samples from other manufacturers vary widely in the type of red - the pinkish red looks pretty bad against the brown red :/

Old 10-15-2020, 11:30 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
I think you would be better off with the same width planks of a different color, even dark in one room and light in an adjacent room.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
I disagree, I think you'd be better off with same species/same color adjacent but different board widths, since most people see color but you've got to really look closely to identify board width.

Multiple colors in different rooms lead to a checkerboard appearance in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I disagree, I think you'd be better off with same species/same color adjacent but different board widths, since most people see color but you've got to really look closely to identify board width.

Multiple colors in different rooms lead to a checkerboard appearance in my opinion.
You may be right. Another idea with different size planks in adjacent rooms is to run the new planks in a different direction.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,565,748 times
I agree that people won't notice the width difference as long as you don't butt them directly together in the same direction. You could change direction or put in a transition strip to separate them.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:10 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
I will agree as well that I don't think I would notice different width, and that if you change direction ( as well as size) but keep color constant, it would work nicely and be attractive.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:41 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
How many sq feet do you need?

Buy the planks to match. Have them milled.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:43 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
I believe what you are doing makes most sense and it will blend and follow suit with the adjacent flooring in the house as long as the cut type of the wood is the same.

Hardwood flooring is usually available in three different cuts, Plain sliced, Quarter cut & Rift sawn and each of these types can look very different. Each type has to do with the cutting and orientation of the growth rings. Plain sliced is most common, so just confirm it matches the flooring you already have installed in your home!

Our current house happens to have Rift sawn oak so the grain appears extremely profound and visible, very different looking than plain sliced oak flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House