Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:56 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHale View Post
Then maybe the utilities CAN determine which appliances are in use (referring to don's comment) if appliances use Sense-software appliances. At least it sounds like appliance software could be adapted to utility software.
Sure, it could. But it won't. There are all sorts of privacy and consent issues.

You seem quite paranoid about this whole situation. Have you considered contacting a real estate agent to see about moving?

For example, here in SW NH, we have folks who live off grid because they value their privacy. They probably don't have internet either. After all, everything you do online is tracked, recorded, collated and monetized. Of course, you'd need to give up your cell phone too, and ditch your credit cards and go to cash only, since your phone calls and card purchases are tracked too.

Just food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 AM

75 posts, read 47,535 times
Default no problem if all the rules are followed

I'm sure there are no purely voyeuristic companies. A bored employee of one might be. Smart meters are brand-new to me since two days ago. I'm just analyzing and learning. I'm not anti-electricity. Big Bear, answer this: Why is everything we do online tracked, recorded, collated and monetized as mentioned?

And yes, I have considered moving and want to make sure this house sells nice and easy. I'm reading about easements. Contrary to one real estate agent here, who was speaking generally I'm sure, I read an example where an easement devalued a $100,000 property by $5,000 but can't remember the type of easement.

The only thing I'm paranoid about now is the old wiring in this house being compatible with the smart meter and if the smart meter would even have an effect on the wiring (copper). One of my original questions was mixing old and new. The only reason the old/new Q came up is a GFCI installed on the first downstream circuit of our fuse box cut the power off to the computer that it was flowing into -- every time. Had to have the GFCI removed.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Quote:
The only thing I'm paranoid about now is the old wiring in this house being compatible with the smart meter and if the smart meter would even have an effect on the wiring (copper). One of my original questions was mixing old and new. The only reason the old/new Q came up is a GFCI installed on the first downstream circuit of our fuse box cut the power off ....
That won't be a concern, usually the new meter (smart or not) just slots right into the existing meter base, so nothing changes with the power to load center (breaker panel) or your in-house wiring, devices.

Worst case, utility has to install a meter base adapter, and the outside meter and connection looks a bit uglier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSNVso9raE

Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are no purely voyeuristic companies. A bored employee of one might be. Smart meters are brand-new to me since two days ago. I'm just analyzing and learning. I'm not anti-electricity. Big Bear, answer this: Why is everything we do online tracked, recorded, collated and monetized as mentioned?

And yes, I have considered moving and want to make sure this house sells nice and easy. I'm reading about easements. Contrary to one real estate agent here, who was speaking generally I'm sure, I read an example where an easement devalued a $100,000 property by $5,000 but can't remember the type of easement.

The only thing I'm paranoid about now is the old wiring in this house being compatible with the smart meter and if the smart meter would even have an effect on the wiring (copper). One of my original questions was mixing old and new. The only reason the old/new Q came up is a GFCI installed on the first downstream circuit of our fuse box cut the power off to the computer that it was flowing into -- every time. Had to have the GFCI removed.
There are exactly zero issues with mixing new "Smart" meters with "old" copper wiring. My question about the GFCI you removed is, Did you check to see if the GFCI was malfunctioning and correctly installed, or did you just remove it because it was kicking the circuit off? Perhaps it was actually performing correctly and disconnecting a defective circuit or device.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 AM

75 posts, read 47,535 times
Good news from the video and your comment.

The electrician said he's never put in a bad GFCI, but he didn't check it in my presence, and I don't know if he installed it correctly into the receptacle. If the GFCI was performing correctly, he didn't check the circuit for malfunctioning. Everything's been fine, except sometimes the converter box for antenna TV will get knocked out in a storm.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:44 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm somewhat surprised the utility is doing this (unless it's getting major grant funding from the state/local governments) because it's incredibly expensive to do. The last estimate we got (15 years ago) from our electric company was $1000/foot.
OP is in Tampa, where it storms every day during the summer.

I can see it making sense there from the Utility's perspective.

Whereas in Maryland, for example, it would be like a Floridian buying a snow plow.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Pay attention to where they are going to place the big transformer box.

The utility will want to place it up front in a glaringly obvious spot - easy for their crews and taggers to spot. Don't be afraid to ask them to move it a few feet left or right or back further into your yard.

I know your first reaction is "I don't want that thing in my yard!" but consider locating it in an area where you can screen it with light-weight, bendable shrubs. Plant the shrubs after their crews are gone, but get it located in a spot where you can do this.

Better to have it on your property and properly screened, than have it up front and center in the public right of way, but where it is the most obvious thing about your house.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

and direct message me if you want to know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House