Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:13 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I don't have an insulated screwdriver. Would wearing rubber gloves protect me from electrical shock? What is the most common size of security Torx screw on microwave ovens?
I'm sorry, but no way would I give such information out on security screws. If you plan on disassembling the unit to do a simple lamp replace, you are on your own. Anyone even thinking of working around high voltage needs at least three in-person lectures from an experienced hand, and real-life guidance the first few times. Rubber gloves might or might not work, depending on a few factors. If you don't know, and don't know WHY they would work or not, then you have no business even thinking about such a project. If the job isn't simple and straightforward - don't do it. My father was a chief engineer of radio stations, had a first class FCC license and training, and years of experience. He related to me how he almost made a short cut by not discharging a capacitor in a mountaintop transmitter that SHOULD have been discharged by the circuit, and would have been killed if he had not rethought and melted a screwdriver across the terminals. A cousin of mine died of electrical burns from working on a powerline. I've been literally tossed across the room by a fairly small capacitor. Electricity is NOT forgiving at high voltages or strong currents. If the lamp is not easily accessible, go no further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:04 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
We live in interesting times. People in the wealthiest nation on Earth, with access to more knowledge than ever via the Internet, are now unable to change a lightbulb.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm sorry, but no way would I give such information out on security screws.
Why not? There are just a type of screwdriver tip. This isn't some sort of top secret device that requires a permit to purchase.

OP, amazon sells security bits. I assume you have the driver?

https://www.amazon.com/TEKPREM-13-Pi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

OP, I think you are overthinking this. I've changed the bulbs on a few microwaves the the manufacturer usually makes this easy. A couple screws and the lens comes out and just unscrew and screw the bulb in.

If it's more complete, give us some photos or a model of the microwave.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:25 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
Wait a dang on minute here....I have never even considered there was danger in changing a lightbulb. Pretty sure they make that part fool proofffff

Old 10-28-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Wait a dang on minute here....I have never even considered there was danger in changing a lightbulb. Pretty sure they make that part fool proofffff
Precisely!!! Access to a bulb that it is possible to change requires no special tool or bits. The OP apparently wants to pull a tooth using a colonoscopy.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
I am not familiar with the CSA, UL, EN or equivalent safety certification codes for microwaves specifically, but I can tell you that the safety certifications for other electrical equipment that I do know about, requires that access to dangerous areas require use of a tool. I would be surprised if the manufacturer would use security Torx fasteners on the access to the interior light bulb, unless they had been required to by the certification body. Note that in appliances like electric ovens, lamps, and refrigerators the interior light bulb is accessible without the use of tools.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
Quote:
Precisely!!! Access to a bulb that it is possible to change requires no special tool or bits. The OP apparently wants to pull a tooth using a colonoscopy.
+1

That colonoscopy dentist would be mighty unpopular

Old 10-28-2020, 12:50 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
FWIW, I recently had warranty work done on my microwave, to replace the magnetron and a diode. The outer case alone had 20 screws, some hidden and security screws to prevent a consumer from opening it. The magnetron itself was in another metal case with more special screws. Wanna know what the tech did prior to removing the old magnetron? Yep, he grounded out the capacitor.
I repaired my microwave not long ago. It is a fairly new model. There were no special screws and no special tools required to get the case off and access the magnetron. (Yes, I am qualified to do this kind of work, having previously been trained to repair military radar systems.)

The OP should be able to change the bulb through an access panel reached from the inside the cooking cavity of the unit. The case should not need to be removed just to change a bulb.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:30 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Do NOT remove any fastener that requires a special end on a screwdriver other than flathead or phillips.
Is that true with all appliances or just a microwave?

I recently fixed a coffee maker and a vacuum cleaner and had to remove Torx screws on both occasions. They were both unplugged of course, but I have to admit I didn't otherwise think about a shock hazard.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Is that true with all appliances or just a microwave?

I recently fixed a coffee maker and a vacuum cleaner and had to remove Torx screws on both occasions. They were both unplugged of course, but I have to admit I didn't otherwise think about a shock hazard.
Neither of those would give me pause. If you understand basic electronics and electricity, those are self-explanatory and relatively safe. Torx screws keep casual opening by kids at a minimum, and torx have their own other advantages. The real dangers are in the high voltage appliances and ones that use large capacitors. I might think hard before fiddling with electrostatic air cleaners and fans, but most other stuff is far less dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House