Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 09:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times

Advertisements

Glad you got it. I just watched your video and one of my cats was beside me.
Lol he was pawing at the screen trying to get the mouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 09:19 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times

Old 02-13-2021, 10:19 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i remember as a kid my dad getting frustrated that the mouse kept taking the cheese without springing the trap. my mother glued the cheese to the spring trap. it worked. then my dad got mad that my mom was smarter than he was in solving the problem. still a family story after 50+ years
That's what happens to me lol.
So, that 's a really good idea to use glue!

Old 02-13-2021, 10:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^ This^^ Glue traps are horribly inhumane. What do you plan on doing with the mouse when you find it stuck alive on a glue trap?

My suggestion is to get a cat.
Since this mouse is dead, the question is academic for the OP, but not for those of us who have to resort to glue traps from time to time. You aren't going to like the answer if you are in the "no-kill" group.

I'll start by saying that I will go for snap traps or other fast kill methods, even if it means extra work and a little extra time resolving the problem. About 80% to 90% of the time, those work as designed and death is near instantaneous. Glue traps, and variations of bucket traps are only for use when the other methods don't work or the infestation is too large.

I'll follow by saying that innocent looking little rodents have killed millions of people over the centuries. Skipping the plague, hanta virus, and other diseases they can carry, a mouse that eats wiring can cause a vehicle to malfunction and be involved in an accident. One that eats house wiring can cause a fire. Stored documents are nesting material and your last photo of your great grandmother could end up as chewed poop covered flooring for more mice. When mice invade a human home or vehicle, it is war. One side will eventually die. The best war is one you don't have, so seal up those cracks that mice might explore. Keep them out and you won't have to deal with the following. (Set in spoiler so the squeamish don't have to read.)

Spoiler
So, all other methods have failed and you now have a little bulge-eyed mouse covered in tanglefoot (the glue on a glue trap). Unless the creature has only one foot trapped, it will die. The only question is how fast and how humanely. We don't have lethal injections for mice. A stun gun would probably electrocute in a second or two, but most people aren't going to buy one for that purpose.

The goriest disposal method is undoubtedly the fastest and most humane, once you get over the idea that you can't lay the mouse remains out in a tiny casket for a viewing and wake. Take the glue trap outside, cover it and the mouse with a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, and drop a concrete block on it from about five feet up. The nerve impulses will never have time to reach the brain (or what remains of it). This is effectively the same method used by a snap trap.

Second method of dispatch is to hold the glue trap underwater to drown the critter. This takes longer and there can be struggle. As someone who has had laryngial spasms that close my throat, I would prefer the first method over this, although it is relatively fast.

Third method is some sort of asphyxiation. Spraying engine starter fluid (ether) into a small jar and inserting the trap might seem an idea, and it has been used to dispatch countless butterflies, but ether can cause a burning sensation. Better to exhaust the oxygen in a container such as a coffee can or paint can by burning a votive candle in it with the lid almost closed, waiting for it to go out from lack of oxygen, letting it cool a bit, and then quickly and carefully sliding the trap into the can and sealing it.

Death happens to all of us. Most people are far enough removed from the realities of a farm life, where death of animals is a regular occurrence, that it is a rare and jarring reminder of reality. A mouse dispatched by any of the above methods will undoubtedly have a kinder death than mother nature would have in store. Any of the above are more kind than waiting for the mouse to die of exhaustion, thirst, or injuries. If you have unresolved issues with your own demise, please don't take it out on a mouse needing to be put out of misery.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:36 AM

354 posts, read 776,257 times
Had it gotten caught in one of the glue traps my plan was to put it in a bag and smash with a shovel. I wouldn't leave it alive stuck to it. I think they're cruel too but it wasn't going near anything else or taking any other bait. Luckily I didn't have to do it.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:35 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I caught one a glue strip. S/he was wiggling some. I strangled it by pressing down on its neck it with a shovel.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:47 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Glue traps don’t bother me at all. I’d just put it in a bucket of water and push it down. Again...it’s just a mouse.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:05 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Glue traps don’t bother me at all. I’d just put it in a bucket of water and push it down. Again...it’s just a mouse.
I've never used a glue trap, but I'd do the same. Maybe put a brick in that bucket too, leave the room and come back later.
If you've ever owned a second home or a pole barn and had mice get in like I have, you wouldn't hesitate to use something. I've bought my share of d-con.They get in, they breed, and if you're not around for a few months, the damage is incredible. Ask me how I know

Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Here you go... (you wanted a "creative" solution)
https://youtu.be/KQdMltoZ8zw

https://youtu.be/HN-hk3F2HR4 <<< this is an easy trap, although I would just secure the pipe with the flap right in the twist lid.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Bb gun can be effective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House