Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times

Advertisements

When putting up hurricane shutters/panels, some exits must remain without panels, so the homeowner can exit the house to get food, or in case of fire. - How many escape routes are needed?
For normal building code, 2 exit routes, I think.
But hurricane protection codes might override that. That can be deadly if they do, as one escape route might be blocked by debris, hence the need for a second one.
Insurance companies might coerce home owners to risk their lives and block a second exit routes with metal panels required on all. These are screwed on from the outside, cannot be removed from the inside.
I am speculating. My insurance company is not responding.
The garage small door is probably a metal door anyway, but does it count?
So, how many exit routes are allowed (doors without meatal panels) by hurricane wind mitigation codes, and by insurance? One or two?
I want to leave the garage small door and a narrow patio door un-paneled, for my safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Our house has one window that is for egress. That plus the garage door are it.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:04 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
How many exits do you want?

https://www.allenprecision.com/8-lb-...36-wood-handle

CBS construction is no match for one of these, and possibly a pick or crowbar. They used to be the bane of drive-in theatre concession stands. In about half an hour, a hole could breach the solid walls for thieves.

The side doors of garages are typically metal sheathed wood in Florida. They are impact resistant, with the latch being the weak point.

Thinking a bit... if you have significant hurricane damage, punch a hole in what is left of the ceiling and exit via the gaping holes in the roof deck.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
When putting up hurricane shutters/panels, some exits must remain without panels, so the homeowner can exit the house to get food, or in case of fire. - How many escape routes are needed?
For normal building code, 2 exit routes, I think.
But hurricane protection codes might override that. That can be deadly if they do, as one escape route might be blocked by debris, hence the need for a second one.
Insurance companies might coerce home owners to risk their lives and block a second exit routes with metal panels required on all. These are screwed on from the outside, cannot be removed from the inside.
I am speculating. My insurance company is not responding.
The garage small door is probably a metal door anyway, but does it count?
So, how many exit routes are allowed (doors without meatal panels) by hurricane wind mitigation codes, and by insurance? One or two?
I want to leave the garage small door and a narrow patio door un-paneled, for my safety.
Usually the front and back door have accordion shutters, or are impact, so a person can get out. If you have an attached garage, then the garage door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
How many exits do you want?

https://www.allenprecision.com/8-lb-...36-wood-handle

CBS construction is no match for one of these, and possibly a pick or crowbar. They used to be the bane of drive-in theatre concession stands. In about half an hour, a hole could breach the solid walls for thieves.

The side doors of garages are typically metal sheathed wood in Florida. They are impact resistant, with the latch being the weak point.

Thinking a bit... if you have significant hurricane damage, punch a hole in what is left of the ceiling and exit via the gaping holes in the roof deck.
I take it you never actually tried to sledge hammer through CBS?

And you want someone to sit there and hammer through while there is a fire going on? Seriously?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:54 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
If it's bad enough that you're putting your shutters up, then you should probably be evacuating and not staying in your house.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:06 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If it's bad enough that you're putting your shutters up, then you should probably be evacuating and not staying in your house.
Lol

Merely protecting your windows from flying debris is hardly the level for needing to evacuate.

A simple cat 1 storm can break your windows with debris.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:32 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Usually the front and back door have accordion shutters, or are impact, so a person can get out. If you have an attached garage, then the garage door.

I take it you never actually tried to sledge hammer through CBS?

And you want someone to sit there and hammer through while there is a fire going on? Seriously?
I've been through my fair share of hurricanes, TYVM. I have never personally seen or read of in the media, or seen on the TV coverage, of any fire concurrent with one. That includes Andrew, Wilma, and all those in-between.

More often, entrapment is caught in house to house searches after the storm.

FWIW, the stucco forms a hard shell on the outside, but sheet rock walls on the interior give easy access to the block. Once the block backing is gone, the stucco is more vulnerable. I didn't say it would be easy, but with motivation people can do amazing things.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Only one seems dumb IMHO. Disable or block that, you're sort of finished. At least have one other alternative that doesn't require tools you don't store in the house!

Old 04-18-2021, 10:38 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lol

Merely protecting your windows from flying debris is hardly the level for needing to evacuate.

A simple cat 1 storm can break your windows with debris.
I've lived in hurricaine country. We didn't put up our shutters for every cat 1 storm. If we had the automatic shutters, then maybe we would have.

But the whole concern about a point of egress was never something we thought about. There was still the front door. And the garage.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Why are you shuttering the doors? Is that something people do now? Back when I lived along the gulf coast shutters, plywood, etc were for the windows to reduce the risk from flying glass, has that changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House