Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 08:47 AM

155 posts, read 131,739 times

Advertisements

So I am moving into a new home in august and I am creating a list of what I need to be done. Top of my list are getting dimmer switches and adding blinds/drapes into the place.

Dimmer switches - I saw Lutron Caseta on amazon has great reviews. It is "neutral" and says the light is never "off" but low light.. i doubt it will impact electric bill much? Anyone used it or have some alternative?

Blinds/Drapes - What type is the "best"? I know there are vertical, horizontal and materials and styles but any really popular nowadays? I did see Costco have "Graber" brand where sometimes there are discounts? Not sure if that is better bet? I would prefer the blind to "cover all" if i use it fully(i hate light leaking through) . Not sure if it is more popular to have it "lift up" or those that you twist the handle and it lets some light go through? The "lift up" ones doesn't really "hide" much and it could be an issue if it is up all the time and neighbor across can see into the entire room?

Any recommendation on brands/types/materials would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 11:07 AM

37 posts, read 30,216 times
Personally am a big fan of shutters. Very easy to open/close and blocks out all direct light.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioil View Post
So I am moving into a new home in august and I am creating a list of what I need to be done. Top of my list are getting dimmer switches and adding blinds/drapes into the place.

Dimmer switches - I saw Lutron Caseta on amazon has great reviews. It is "neutral" and says the light is never "off" but low light.. i doubt it will impact electric bill much? Anyone used it or have some alternative?

Blinds/Drapes - What type is the "best"? I know there are vertical, horizontal and materials and styles but any really popular nowadays? I did see Costco have "Graber" brand where sometimes there are discounts? Not sure if that is better bet? I would prefer the blind to "cover all" if i use it fully(i hate light leaking through) . Not sure if it is more popular to have it "lift up" or those that you twist the handle and it lets some light go through? The "lift up" ones doesn't really "hide" much and it could be an issue if it is up all the time and neighbor across can see into the entire room?

Any recommendation on brands/types/materials would be greatly appreciated!
I would ask this in the House thread as it's not specific to this area.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
There’s a big difference between “a dimmer” and Caseta
What are you really wanting to do?

And if you’re dead set on Caseta, why not consider power shades?

Old 05-04-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There’s a big difference between “a dimmer” and Caseta
What are you really wanting to do?

And if you’re dead set on Caseta, why not consider power shades?
I thought caseta is a brand of dimmers switches?
the power shades are the ones that go up and down right? i guess only i am hesitant is people can see completely inside your house if it goes high enough right?

Old 05-04-2021, 09:49 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Lutron is the brand. Caseta is their “smart home” line of dimmers and switches.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:31 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
I thought caseta is a brand of dimmers switches?
the power shades are the ones that go up and down right? i guess only i am hesitant is people can see completely inside your house if it goes high enough right?
If the shade is up- and people are looking- then yes, they can “completely” see in. Power shades can be stopped anywhere you want along it’s travel. Some people do a double shade- one is a sun-stopper, but still allows light in, the other is a room darkening. Can make the room almost pitch-black except around the edges.

As previously noted- Caseta is a particular model of a multi-functional switch- not a brand.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times
What we did.
Dimmer and timer switches.
Plug outlets for the washlet bidets
Replace the light fixtures to solar-lite, pipe-tubes. If you are ambitious, build a network of light pipes. Very high efficiency.
Replace cheap bath and kitchen exhaust fans to high volume, low noise.
Replace toilets to no splash flush.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the shade is up- and people are looking- then yes, they can “completely” see in. Power shades can be stopped anywhere you want along it’s travel. Some people do a double shade- one is a sun-stopper, but still allows light in, the other is a room darkening. Can make the room almost pitch-black except around the edges.

As previously noted- Caseta is a particular model of a multi-functional switch- not a brand.
Is there an advantage of the pull up over the vertical shades and horizontal one? I guess vertical one might be more fitting for the deck door since it is long? The horizontal one could block sun light and adjust the degree of sunlight coming in right? Just curious the pros and cons of the rise ups?

And any good brands to use? I know costco has some deals and i see coupons on blinds all the time in mails... I guess the company doesnt matter as much as what brands they offer?

Old 05-05-2021, 07:31 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
Quote:
I guess the company doesnt matter as much as what brands they offer?
Quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House