Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 11:07 AM

255 posts, read 694,771 times

Advertisements

We had a vinyl company do some work for us. Everything appeared fine when finished so we paid via Capital One credit card. Two days later we noticed a problem and have been trying to no avail to get them back to correct a flaw.

I went online to our Capital One charges and clicked on the vinyl company charge. I saw where I could report a problem regarding it, namely that "Never received what was paid for". I'm just wondering what this will entail if I follow through.

I'll gladly pay them, I just want to finish what they started. They have the upper hand now.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 02:59 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
They, the credit card company, can put a hold/freeze on that transaction until you call back and have it unfrozen and release credit/payment to their account. Did you ask about that.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
If you dispute a charge, the credit card company will generally place a hold on the payment. The hold will be released when the payor notifies the credit card company that the issue is resolved or if the payee provides documentation that the services were provided and no issues that can be disputed per the terms and conditions remain.

A dispute may be a way to get the vendor to respond to you although not always a way to get them to do anything. The only item to consider is that since this is based on a home improvement service, if the dispute prevents them from being paid, they could place a "mechanic's lien" on you home.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:05 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"Any ideas?" A personal visit to their place of business to resolve the issue.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-13-2021, 09:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
We had a vinyl company do some work for us. Everything appeared fine when finished so we paid via Capital One credit card. Two days later we noticed a problem and have been trying to no avail to get them back to correct a flaw.

I went online to our Capital One charges and clicked on the vinyl company charge. I saw where I could report a problem regarding it, namely that "Never received what was paid for". I'm just wondering what this will entail if I follow through.

I'll gladly pay them, I just want to finish what they started. They have the upper hand now.

Any ideas?
Wait....did they or did they not finish the job? You said that finished it and now you’re saying you need them to finish it.

Generally you dispute transactions for items not received, wrongs items received, services not rendered... why would pay them if the job wasn’t finished?

Call them, email them, Facebook them, visit them in person, but to withhold payment for a job you accepted isn’t right.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:22 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
...they could place a "mechanic's lien" on you home.

A savvy H/O would have copies of W/C ins., GL ins., and would have a contractual obligation of a mechanic’s lien waiver(s) at the completion of the job.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:00 AM

255 posts, read 694,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
but to withhold payment for a job you accepted isn’t right.

Did not withhold payment.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
Did not withhold payment.
That’s my point. You already accepted and paid for their services, so why are you trying to stop payment or dispute the transaction?

If they need to come back after the job, then you contact them and ask them to deal with it under their warranty. You did a warranty right?

Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That’s my point. You already accepted and paid for their services, so why are you trying to stop payment or dispute the transaction?

If they need to come back after the job, then you contact them and ask them to deal with it under their warranty. You did a warranty right?
They paid for services that were not completed. The warranty question is irrelevant since the company is not responding to her requests. Given that, I can see why one would might dispute payment.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:49 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They paid for services that were not completed. The warranty question is irrelevant since the company is not responding to her requests. Given that, I can see why one would might dispute payment.
I also happen to think the OP wasn't clear.

1. First, they wrote all seemed fine at finish.

2. Then, looking the job over later, they noticed flaws. Didn't say whether these "flaws" arose because the work hadn't been finished or because the finished work was crappy.

3. Later in the OP they wrote something about something not completed. Didn't specify what.

4. To make matters even more muddy, they didn't withhold final payment. A completed job could be found deficient at a later date. The problem is different.

So, which is it OP? Do you consider a job that hasn't met your expectations/contract terms to be incomplete? Or, was the completed work not acceptable? IMHO, depending on what the actual problem is, the appropriate recourse to be taken may be different.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-14-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House