Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:28 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

-- Or the neighbor who said she loved gardening. But she never planned what plant/flower/shrub should go where. And her landscaping looked like a hot mess....one bush alone in one spot. A row of other shrubs along a fence line. A butterfly bush here, a hydrangea there, forsythia some place else....
That would be my wife...well, if I weren't around. No darling, those plants can't go in the front close to the house? Why? It's dark as a medieval dungeon, there are 3 massive oak trees, and the house, and it faces north...

"Why can't my front yard look like my Grandmother's?" Because she lives 100 miles south in another zone, on the beach, in a yard that doesn't have much for trees or shade because hurricanes wipe them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 12:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Quote:
what's the most expensive home project you've done that was a want and not a need. The sort of thing you did just because you wanted to.
We bought a brand new house in 2011.
Always disliked: microwave (with exterior venting) over the range, refrigerator(side by side), range (weak burners), lower cabinet without drawers, under/over cabinet lighting.
Liked: the Blum cabinet hardware, quartz counter top.

In 2017, the microwave handle broke.

We gutted 1/2 of the kitchen (one wall, 15 linear feet) and spent $52K on: Sub-Zero refrigerator, Sub-Zero wine fridge, Wolf hob, Miele speed oven, Miele convection oven, Zephyr vent hood, fancy backsplash tile, LED lighting, and Blum LEGRABOX hardware.

Definitely want, not need.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:03 PM

10,112 posts, read 6,461,064 times
The most expensive hoe project I've done that I wanted rather than needed was to have a triple-level waterfall with pond installed next to my garage, just outside my back porch. I've planted phlox on the slopes of the surrounding mound and really enjoy the sound of the falling water and the lights at night. The setup is also bordered by two raised flower beds as a backdrop; they really set it off.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:28 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Finishing the basement in old house.
Didn’t have to, wanted to for a few reasons. There was a pool- needed a full bath. Had my own business- needed an office. Small kids at the time- wanted a “media” type room. With all of this, I might as well set it up as a possible guest/in-law suite. So, there was a kitchenette also.

This was a project for me- I did most of the work myself. My sub’s were busy doing “real” jobs! The kind that pay me and the bills! I hired out the cabinets for the media area, kitchenette, and bath, carpet, and part of the drywall. I did everything else. Yeah- that too!

We could have easily lived in the house without the finished basement (sans the office), but it sure made things more enjoyable.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Our house was a fixer upper so almost everything has been a need, but we've taken it slow and steady. Biggest need was the roof, had it patched over the years but this week is the week. The new roof is being put on as I type. It's definitely not a want, but next I can have more fun designing our deck, which is going to be expensive too but at least an enjoyable upgrade to the house.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,558,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We gutted 1/2 of the kitchen (one wall, 15 linear feet) and spent $52K on: Sub-Zero refrigerator, Sub-Zero wine fridge, Wolf hob, Miele speed oven, Miele convection oven, Zephyr vent hood, fancy backsplash tile, LED lighting, and Blum LEGRABOX hardware.
Nice kitchen. What were your reasons for going with the Miele ovens over sticking with Wolf?

Old 05-18-2021, 08:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
Millions of Americans keep firearms in their homes, how many can justify that want as a need? More homes are broken into where a gun is taken than are ever used in the defense of one.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:32 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
........ 8K for the design I don't like, .........

I'm a bit mystified by the thought of spending $8,000.00 to get a yard that you don't like.

For ten grand, you must be getting a lot of hardscape: sprinkler system, sidewalks, maybe a front deck?

You've got a copy of the plans. Is there anything on it you could do yourself? Maybe get smaller younger plants and let them grow instead of buying mature plants?

Landscaping takes a lot of labor and labor is no longer cheap. How about the cost to maintain the new landscaping?

Myself, I like for my house to look nice and a nice yard is part of that, so landscaping is worth the cost to me... although I do my own design and my own planting so it doesn't cost me quite that much.

I also like the labor saving features like the automated sprinkler system and the heavy mulch that cuts down on weeds.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,696,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. That’s pretty funny. And ridiculous of course.
Yep, I suppose that replacing my galvanized pipes was a “want” since they carried water, but when they came out, the leftover gunk in there actually stopped the hot water from flowing. I also had the laundry going into he sump and too thin PVC pipes, and while that “worked,” it didn’t really in winter and it was contaminating the soil. So... yeah, just because something “works” doesn’t mean it is smart to keep it. I did redo all my basement windows, which were a need because a couple were leaking/rotting, but I put in a nice new storm door in the front with the swap out glass/screen because the original was looking really bad. I’ve been very happy with it so far.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Nice kitchen. What were your reasons for going with the Miele ovens over sticking with Wolf?
24-inch width.
It turns out that 24 inches is plenty wide enough for us.
And, at the time, Wolf did not have a speed oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House