Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 02:08 PM

572 posts, read 327,412 times

Advertisements

Most of the wants are not needs and most of the times we fall into fulfilling our wants and needless things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 02:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,407,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Completely insane. I would think $20k should cover what you want.
I would have thought so too! We've shifted our focus to things that we can buy, vs. things that need to be built. We really like the aluminum shade structures, sort of like pergolas. We figured "they aren't that big, how much can they cost". Expecting to see prices like $5k-$8k for ~25x15.

The first company wanted $60k for 32x14 aluminum pergola with motorized roof slats. The second company $41k. By the time I got to the third I said "if you guys are over $15k it's better not to waste your time" and he said "that doesn't even cover the installation".

However, I see aluminum pergolas with non-motorized slat roofs on wayfair for approx $6k in a similar size range. I just need to take matters into my own hands to avoid the zip-code based quotes.

I was so excited to hire someone to do a one-stop shop and manage the whole project, but everything was nuts. You want a grill? That's $16k for an outdoor kitchen. Fire pit? $7.5k for a gas one. Meanwhile we can buy a grill for $400, or $1k for one that we can custom build into a paver wall. Fire pits are in the low hundreds or even low $1k area for amazing ones.

Again, this is just for a plain paver patio, maybe 30 or 40 ft wide by 15 deep, with a shade structure of some sort covering some portion of that. All of these prices don't even include the paver patio, which was quoted at $40k+ depending on embellishments.

We have an awning over a concrete patio now, and the thing that spurred the discussion is that the awning is probably on its last season. However, a few hundred to redo an awning looks like a bargain at this point (though up here maybe it's a few thousand to replace that fabric, who knows)

Old 05-20-2021, 02:37 PM

7,676 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I would have thought so too! We've shifted our focus to things that we can buy, vs. things that need to be built. We really like the aluminum shade structures, sort of like pergolas. We figured "they aren't that big, how much can they cost". Expecting to see prices like $5k-$8k for ~25x15.

The first company wanted $60k for 32x14 aluminum pergola with motorized roof slats. The second company $41k. By the time I got to the third I said "if you guys are over $15k it's better not to waste your time" and he said "that doesn't even cover the installation".

However, I see aluminum pergolas with non-motorized slat roofs on wayfair for approx $6k in a similar size range. I just need to take matters into my own hands to avoid the zip-code based quotes.

I was so excited to hire someone to do a one-stop shop and manage the whole project, but everything was nuts. You want a grill? That's $16k for an outdoor kitchen. Fire pit? $7.5k for a gas one. Meanwhile we can buy a grill for $400, or $1k for one that we can custom build into a paver wall. Fire pits are in the low hundreds or even low $1k area for amazing ones.

Again, this is just for a plain paver patio, maybe 30 or 40 ft wide by 15 deep, with a shade structure of some sort covering some portion of that. All of these prices don't even include the paver patio, which was quoted at $40k+ depending on embellishments.

We have an awning over a concrete patio now, and the thing that spurred the discussion is that the awning is probably on its last season. However, a few hundred to redo an awning looks like a bargain at this point (though up here maybe it's a few thousand to replace that fabric, who knows)

My local Costco has a nice looking 12 x 14 pergola for $1,550. I had 12 x 15 aggregate with large stair added to my patio in 2005 along with a 30 x 3 walkway for $5,000. I bet it would cost $2,000 to have the pergola installed. But, my $350 umbrella works; I like the light and the sun actually (saving myself several thousand dollars -- LOL)...

I think they are basically charging you a percentage of the value of your house to do anything. Now is not the time to do anything major based on your description.

I would definitely redo the awning and freestanding cooking devices work for us mere mortals just fine (my neighbor loves his Big Green Egg.

I would love to do something really nice with my backyard; but... meh! I'm not going to get totally and completely ripped of either.

Old 05-20-2021, 03:14 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,119,967 times
We all have different thresholds. Some people have no care for aesthetics, and others do.
We also have different tolerances for compromise.

It’s about economics, too. I bet in any cheap trailer park in the country has a few people who have an immaculate home and a tidy yard, some in the middle, and some who don’t care in the slightest.

My idea of hell is to live somewhere and have no control over the aesthetics of my surroundings.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:59 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,296,440 times
When we moved into this house about 7 years ago, there was SOOOO much that needed to be done. After the heating, plumbing, electrical, roof, new kitchen, new windows, flooring, insulation, and the painting (inside and out), not to mention curtains, some furniture, commissioned bookshelves, & chandeliers, well, we were strapped out for a while. There were still things that we wanted to have done but they all had to wait. Over the years we had the downstairs bathroom redone. (Check!) The driveway was paved. (Check!) Put up a new fence. (Check!) Garage painted. (Check!)

Now the things that we had hoped to get done last year but Covid put a hold on that were replacing the molding in the living room. (It was gone when we bought the house.) And replacing the windows in the front door. I wish I didn't have to replace it but it is cracked. It is etched glass and I looked around but couldn't find anything local that I liked. But, I think putting in stained glass would be nice. But those will have to be put on hold a little while longer because once again, we had to install a new heating system-and that was pretty expensive. (Yeah, I know-only 7 years. But, the last one was a piece of... and the person who installed it didn't know what they were doing. We are SOOOO much happier with the new one.

I also still need to get a few chandeliers. The one in our bedroom is ok but it really doesn't go with the house. It was only put there until we upgraded it. And the light in our bathroom is just a light bulb.

Cat

Old 05-21-2021, 01:49 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,480,864 times
Sure, When I paid 7 k for dirt and bricks in essences to create my rose garden.

I did though garner some awards from our city for the blossoms and foliage the backyard displayed.

I resided in a University area- so the horticultural department was a Huge help when I needed guidance.

My husband at the time said, next time you want dirt, it better be for your coffin!! I got the hint that day!

Old 05-21-2021, 09:37 AM

7,676 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
When we moved into this house about 7 years ago, there was SOOOO much that needed to be done. After the heating, plumbing, electrical, roof, new kitchen, new windows, flooring, insulation, and the painting (inside and out), not to mention curtains, some furniture, commissioned bookshelves, & chandeliers, well, we were strapped out for a while. There were still things that we wanted to have done but they all had to wait. Over the years we had the downstairs bathroom redone. (Check!) The driveway was paved. (Check!) Put up a new fence. (Check!) Garage painted. (Check!)

Now the things that we had hoped to get done last year but Covid put a hold on that were replacing the molding in the living room. (It was gone when we bought the house.) And replacing the windows in the front door. I wish I didn't have to replace it but it is cracked. It is etched glass and I looked around but couldn't find anything local that I liked. But, I think putting in stained glass would be nice. But those will have to be put on hold a little while longer because once again, we had to install a new heating system-and that was pretty expensive. (Yeah, I know-only 7 years. But, the last one was a piece of... and the person who installed it didn't know what they were doing. We are SOOOO much happier with the new one.

I also still need to get a few chandeliers. The one in our bedroom is ok but it really doesn't go with the house. It was only put there until we upgraded it. And the light in our bathroom is just a light bulb.

Cat

I took out a cheap $600 builder grade Furnace in 2010 when it was 10 years old and had the highest efficiency Lennox with air filtration system installed. It is still running perfectly and WHAT A HUMONGOUS UPGRADE as my house stays evenly heated (for cheap). Plus instead of sucking air from under the garage door, they set up to suck air from outside (with tubing). My garage is warmer and cleaner. WORTH EVERY FRICKIN PENNY. If I have to replace that unit in 10-15 years it will also be worth every penny. Comfort/temperature control (besides the actual roof over your head) should be the priority (IMHO).

Old 05-21-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I took out a cheap $600 builder grade Furnace in 2010 when it was 10 years old and had the highest efficiency Lennox with air filtration system installed. It is still running perfectly and WHAT A HUMONGOUS UPGRADE as my house stays evenly heated (for cheap). Plus instead of sucking air from under the garage door, they set up to suck air from outside (with tubing). My garage is warmer and cleaner. WORTH EVERY FRICKIN PENNY. If I have to replace that unit in 10-15 years it will also be worth every penny. Comfort/temperature control (besides the actual roof over your head) should be the priority (IMHO).
We had a Daikin heat pump. Like I said, I think the unit was a lemon and the person who installed it didn't do it correctly. It kept running and running and running and running and...And it never got up to temperature. Our electric bills were OUTRAGEOUS! And the house was cold. The guy who installed it was here for I don't know how many hours over the last 7 years and it STILL never worked right. We finally said that were DONE!

We now have a Mitsubishi heat pump. It is so much quieter then the other (another plus). Even though we have only had it for a couple of months, we are already seeing our electric bills go down. I'm pretty sure the unit will pay for itself sooner or later. We are VERY happy that we decided to replace the old unit-even if it was cha-ching, cha-ching.

Cat

Old 05-21-2021, 04:43 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
And the light in our bathroom is just a light bulb.
My 2 bathrooms had the crappy builder-grade lights overhead. You know, the ones that cost maybe 5.99 at Home Depot? I don't know what took me so long but 2 years ago I replaced both with a nice LED light - not even that expensive but man it looks 10 times better and the light is so much brighter.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My 2 bathrooms had the crappy builder-grade lights overhead. You know, the ones that cost maybe 5.99 at Home Depot? I don't know what took me so long but 2 years ago I replaced both with a nice LED light - not even that expensive but man it looks 10 times better and the light is so much brighter.
I bought a bunch of those cheapo lights for our back rooms. They are more utility than anything. With all our other expenses at the time, we were (and still are) ok with the cheapo lights in these back rooms. They each have 3 lights-and in this room (the office), one light is aimed at my desk, another one at Hubby's desk and the third at Hubby's other desk. lol.

We do have other lights in the bathroom. We have two wall lights that are on each side of the medicine cabinet. (Another Home Depot special). And this is our bathroom-no one else uses it (except the cats) so it was never a priority.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House