Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 08:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times

Advertisements

I have a strange smell coming from my son's bathroom in my apartment.. Maybe someone can come up with an idea....

It's like a fishy type smell....

My apartment is brand new (so, new construction). No one has lived here before me in this unit. I have lived here for 1 month, and I have had no issues. I have my own bathroom in my bedroom, and everything is fine for me. But, my son just came to stay with me 2 days ago. He just started using his bathroom...

Here is the situation:

1. The bathroom smells fine when nothing is happening.

2. If the hot water in his shower is run for several minutes (so, moisture builds up in the air in the bathroom), and the bathroom door is left open while the water is running - there is NO fishy smell.

3. If the hot water in the shower is run for several minutes (so, the moisture fills the bathroom), and the bathroom door is closed. There is no smell in the bathroom... UNTIL the bathroom door is then opened and left open. Then, as the moisture from the bathroom seeps into his bedroom, a "fishy" type smell comes up within 1 minute inside of the bathroom. And, it hands around for 15-20 minutes.

If I go inside the bathroom quickly and close the door behind me right away - there is no smell at all. It's not until the door is opened that the smell starts.

4. If I put the fan on in the bathroom... And then the hot water in the shower is run for several minutes (so, the moisture fills the bathroom), and the bathroom door is closed... Once I open the bathroom door, the smell that develops is less, but still barely noticeable. (with the bathroom fan running)

I have lived many places. I have never come across this before. It doesn't seem like something that can be "fixed" - as the bathroom is fine when it sits unused. And, if someone takes a shower - there is no smell until the door gets opened...

I suppose it is possible the cool air mixing with the hot, damp air from the bathroom could do this. But, it's never occurred at any other place in all of my 49 years....

This is just bizarre...

Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Is the apartment in a multi story building or have any units below it or possibly adjacent which share a chase?

Only thing I can think of is it is potentially a neighbor and the airflow in certain conditions brings it into the unit.

Check the air flow of the exhaust fan and any cold air returns whether it is pulling into the unit or exiting out of the unit. You can do this easily holding facial tissue by the vents.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...l#post60980797

One other thing that comes to mind is if new construction that there may be some residue of chemical /adhesive in ducts or drains which under certain conditions gives off the smell you are noticing. I've never smelled anything like fish but on occasion have noticed new construction having chemical like smells in piping / vents. It may be a film treatment that is applied to them which causes the slight odor seep. If it is the latter it should go away over time.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:23 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Your nom de plume involves the ocean and you are asking this question?

Old 05-28-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Is the apartment in a multi story building or have any units below it or possibly adjacent which share a chase?

Only thing I can think of is it is potentially a neighbor and the airflow in certain conditions brings it into the unit.

Check the air flow of the exhaust fan and any cold air returns whether it is pulling into the unit or exiting out of the unit. You can do this easily holding facial tissue by the vents.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...l#post60980797

One other thing that comes to mind is if new construction that there may be some residue of chemical /adhesive in ducts or drains which under certain conditions gives off the smell you are noticing. I've never smelled anything like fish but on occasion have noticed new construction having chemical like smells in piping / vents. It may be a film treatment that is applied to them which causes the slight odor seep. If it is the latter it should go away over time.

It is multi story structure... 3 story. We each have our own a/c, however. The apartment below me is empty right now.

It's just strange that there is no smell when the shower is not in use. And, if I close the door and run the shower - no smell. It's only once the door is opened....

I don't see calling maintenance because I don't know what they could check. Hopefully it goes away.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:26 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Not really sure. I’d start with some drain cleaning enzymes as well as a full cleaning of the bathroom. Next, remove the vents (AC supply and or exhaust fan vent) clean the vents and inspect the duct above the vent for mold growth.

If all checks out fine and the smell still returns I would replace the bathroom fan with one that pulls more air.

There are some mold and bacteria that can cause strange odors.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:23 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
https://www.expressdrainagesurveys.c...h-sewage-more/ hope this helps..

Old 05-29-2021, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies...

I guess I will have maintenance look into it. I closed the a/c vent to the bathroom. I don't think it's a sewer gas issue or what not because the smell would be all the time. It doesn't smell at all until the bathroom door is opened and the air from the 2 rooms mix. That's the bizarre thing.

If the door is left open the entire time the shower runs and is after - no smell...

It's really such a bizarre situation - I just posted it to see if someone ever had something similar....

Old 05-29-2021, 08:53 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
That would be the mermaid your son is hiding in the house.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That would be the mermaid your son is hiding in the house.
Lol!!! Or true to life story, my youngest took the goldfish out of the fishbowl and hid it under the carpet . And for days we smelt the fish . One evening he pulls up the carpet corner and shyly says, but mom he was drinking too much water!!! Mystery solved .

Old 05-29-2021, 10:49 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Try as much baking soda as you can get down the bathtub/shower drain, pour in a cup of white vinegar (it will really fizz up) - follow w/lots of hot water. This also helps any clogs, excess hair, etc. as well as freshens the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.